THR Cassidy's hopalong recovery<

Dancing! :happydance: Woohoo! :happydance:And no pain!
You are feeling good! :yay:
Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)
@Cassidy

Hey @Cassidy :hi:
Wondering how your doing?
A Belated Happy Eight Month Anniversary to you!
I hope all is well with both you and hubby.
Leave us an update next time you stop by. Would love to hear how you're coming along.
Hugs :flwrysmile:

Thanks for the thought @Layla. I'm doing fine, thanks - in fact, I have to remind myself not to overdo it, as I often forget I've had an op! I've been Scottish dancing a bit more (and must admit that I had a twingeing in my thigh after one particularly energetic session), and now walk without thinking about it. I'm amazed by how many of my acquaintances seem to be having the "op" now; people who I never thought were having any problems. Definitely an age thing.

I keep an eye on the forum, and would comment if I thought my ramblings would benefit anybody, but mostly others are giving good advice so I stand back. I'm a bit disappointed that I won't get any more check ups, though, as I'd have loved an x-ray to see how the bone has grown around the implant.

Husband is doing well. Still a bit breathless on occasion, but generally back to rights. He, too, has been discharged from the hospital, which I find more disconcerting than he does, as I like to think somebody's keeping an eye on him! It's all the more worrying when a heart attack comes out of the blue to somebody who doesn't appear to be a candidate for one. I also worry about the genetic element, and keep meaning to see if the "children" should be checked.

I've got an appointment at the dentist for a filling this week, and he thinks I may have a crack in the tooth, in which case he may have to remove it. I keep asking him about antibiotics, and did apologise for being a bit PTSD-y, but pointed out that I wouldn't have been in such a fine mess if I hadn't had the original abscess/infection. I do think we have to look out for ourselves on medical matters.

Anyway, I hope all is well with you and yours? It's cold and windy in the UK at the moment (particularly windy, but probably not as cold as you are used to), and I'm looking forward to the summer. I feel as though I missed it last year.

Best wishes to all.

Hi Cassidy,
It's so nice to hear from you. I'm happy you're doing well.
Scottish dancing sounds interesting, I'm happy to hear your enjoying it....without pain :happydance:
Please stop by often and contribute freely. Your commentary would be a welcome change. The forum can get stagnant like anything else and a fresh viewpoint and perspective that differs from the same old, same old would be refreshing for all who visit.

I understand your desire to see an x-ray but with all going so well I certainly wouldn't give it much thought.
I'm happy to hear hubs is doing well after the rough patch you two championed through together.

All is well with me in my part of the world...thanks for the sentiment. The weather here is also cold and very snowy. I'm suffering from Spring Fever myself. Hey...it's just around the corner :yahoo: can't wait!
Don't be a stranger, it was a joy to hear from you!
@Cassidy

So happy to hear you are doing well, dear Cassidy!:egypdance:
I wish I was coordinated do I could do some dancing but I can do this now:chuckmarch:
I was very much in awe (and concerned for you) as you had your husband's crisis hit you during such early days of recovery.
I'm glad he is doing better...and you definitely proved your mettle getting through it all.:yes:
Hope your spring and summer is sweet!:SUNsmile:

Hope all is well in Cassidy's world!:tada:

Yes, thank you @Mojo333. I've had a very busy few weeks, including a trip to New York - somewhere I've wanted to visit for a long time, and which involved a lot of walking - something I couldn't have done a couple of years ago. Ironically my hip held up well and it was my feet that were killing me!

Husband is still getting his meds sorted, but is back almost to normal (if he ever was!), with certain restrictions that he's finding hard to adjust to - it's difficult when health hiccoughs come out of the blue. But, as he says, at least he's still alive.

I was querying @SurreyGirl's post about yoga, because I really need to get back to some structured exercise for my underworked muscles, and was just a bit nervous about dislocation when I looked at some of the "poses". I imagine that in your job you probably don't need to add exercise into the equation, but some of us desk bound people really do need to move around a bit more. I've gone back to Scottish dancing once a week, and that certainly gives my lungs a work out, but I would probably benefit from something a bit more weighty/muscular as well. Maybe pilates would be more suitable?

Anyway, thank you for enquiring after me - I can't believe that it's not far off a year since my op (6th July). I hope you're well too, as you seem to have your own share of family stresses?

Wow, Cassidy...a trip to NYC would involve a lot of walking.
Good for you and how wonderful you handled it well. I can't believe it's going to be a year soon for you.
And what a roller coaster of a recovery you had given hubs health crisis on top of it all. But, you championed through. I believe @stellaluna and @luvsibes both returned to Yoga. Possibly they'll have some input that helps you make a decision. Let's see if they're notified of the tags and stop by with some advice.
Thanks for updating. It was nice to hear from you. I hope you have a lovely Spring!
@Cassidy

Hello @Cassidy
Congrats on your good recovery and hubbie's too. You had quite a journey!
I've returned to doing yoga on a mat and am back teaching my chair yoga. I recommend this book by Charlotte Bell who herself has had THR: https://www.amazon.com/Hip-Healthy-Asana-Practitioners-Protecting-Avoiding/dp/1611805511 The book provides guidance on which poses are ok and adaptations for safety.

Do look for a class labeled as "restorative", "gentle", "beginner", "adaptive/accessible", or "Chair' yoga. Here is a link to my teacher and mentor and her DVD is good for a starter: http://www.getfitwhereyousit.com/buy_chair_yoga_dvd_cd_book_fitness_exercise.html. Lakshmi also does classes on-line by Skype.

My experience is that yoga at most gyms is a bit competitive or more focused on strength and endurance and loses a bit of the meditative and healing qualities. Yoga is not a competitive or "more, more" type of exercise.

Another good book on Chair Yoga.

https://yogavista.net/senior-chair-yoga/ Check out more YouTube videos by Sherry Zak Morris who incorporates DANCE with her Chair Yoga.

Lastly, check out books on breathing and meditation ("Pranayama") in yoga terms. If you aren't breathing, it's not yoga!:flwrysmile:

Thank you very much for your replies @luvsibes and @Alitm - sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but my daughter treated me to a drawing class at the British Museum on Sunday, and yesterday was catching up with friends, so I've only just looked on here. (I'm appreciating being able to walk around London and go on the 'bus without having to worry how close to something I'll be able to park!) I'll certainly look at the videos/books you recommend @luvsibes - and restorative yoga certainly sounds more relaxing than hot yoga for example!

I just want to try to regain a bit of balance and muscle tone in whatever way I can without risking dislocation.

I wish I'd had a go at yoga before my hip troubles, as there are obviously going to be some poses that are no go, and I'd like to have seen if I could have done them previously! Oh well, no use wondering what if ...

Surreygirl tried Poolates
Apparently it is done in a pool, not

1007154-_41-jpg.71599

But I've tried some of the somatic exercises that Alitm shared with me months ago.
Very helpful for my back issues.

It's been a while since I last wrote on my page, but I've dropped by now and again. I just wanted to tag @Josephine to ask for some advice, please.

Josephine, my progress was textbook up until a couple of months or so ago. However, I noticed a couple of months ago that sometimes when I'd been standing/sitting in one position for a while, I had a sharp pain down the front of my thigh when I began to walk. This passed after a few steps and everything went back to normal. I put it down to lack of tone or stretch in the muscle. Over the last few weeks, though, it's become more frequent and especially over the last week it's becoming a bit troublesome. Sometimes the pain goes down to my knee and I feel a weakness in the leg for a second or so. At other times it's perfectly all right, and only a couple of days ago I spent the afternoon sauntering around the shops with a friend with no trouble at all.

I've been doing some gentle stretches, as an acquaintance suggested it might be my IT band (my ham strings, for example, certainly feel very tight), but after doing them I also get a dull ache in the top/middle of my buttock.

My husband very simplistically tells me to go to the doctor (as you know, getting an appointment within a month is optimistic!). I've lost contact with the physios/orthopaedic clinic as I was "signed off" at six weeks and didn't feel I needed them any more, but last night my mind turned to loose stems, infection, etc., (osteomyelitis being the original cause of my needing the hip replacement). I feel that some sort of muscle/tendon is causing the problem, and not the joint itself, but I hoped you might be able to shed any light on the possible cause, please.

Many thanks.

Fingers crossed for you! It is always worrying when pain comes out of the blue following a good recovery! Did you take up yoga in the end?!

Thanks @SurreyGirl - you're one of my peers that I follow now and again! No, I didn't get as far as the yoga, as it was suggested to me that Pilates might suit better. I'm swimming when I can (fitting it in around work) and was Scottish dancing in term time, although that's packed up for the summer. I try to do a few stretches, etc., at home in front of the TV. I keep telling myself that I'll get into more organised exercise when I retire - who knows! - but for now it's mostly walking and trying to take the stairs when possible. I've walked quite a bit, actually, which is why the last couple of months have been particularly trying, as I'd hoped I was over the initial discomfort. Hopefully this will pass.

Hi!
I have some pain too if I overdo the swimming and I do get a bit worried about it sometimes. Some people said here it can take longer than a year to fully heal so going with that. I should do more walking! Have slacked off at that since I started swimming but guess weight bearing exercise is important too.

Talking about weight bearing @SurreyGirl , I'm also trying to lose some weight, as I've put some on since my op - less stress, etc., so despite the extra walking around, I'm getting heavier, which can't be good for the joint! The more I read about iliotibial band syndrome, the more my symptoms sound like that. I was probably too smug before. :dubious:

Hi Cassidy

I am losing weight now. Cut out alcohol, skip breakfast on weekdays and eat between 1pm and 9pm mostly. Swimming 2x a week and 3 if I can manage it. Losing at 1-2 Lbs a week. So far so good. Have not cut back in foodgroups and still have butter if I fancy it but cook with low fat spray. Hopefully I can keep this up! 4-5 kg down in a month.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back