MUA knee so stiff<<

Both of my knees are still tender from all the surgeries I have had. Being tender at less than a month out is to be expected.

Watching a program on TV about people cycling =a passion I use to have that was until I had my first knee replacement - and now cannot cycle anymore which is a shame:biking: my first TKR can only bend to 90% and to be honest don't expect my new knee to be any different.
Cannot even do small stationary cycle in which I read on here being used to help with knee
this aspect doesn't encourage me to work on the ROM .:upright:

Last edited:
I’m so sorry you haven’t gotten a better bend on that first knee. Sending hugs and prayers that it might still improve, and that this newer one will come along better.

My partial was 2 years old in March, and I believe my ROM is still improving, and I’ve had a poor outcome in general.

went for a short 15 minute
walk
yesterday and today paying the price for it and today very painful and foot very swollen . pins and needles and groin pains - what is bothering me is the first tkr is playing up to and now starting to suffer pain from that too -so in truth now it feels so painful in both knees now, though nearly 4 weeks now all I doing is laying on my bed - am I only one who seems to just be laying about doing nothing

- am I only one who seems to just be laying about doing nothing
You’re not doing “nothing”, you are resting so your knee can have the best circumstance in which to heal. Recovery is long and you’re in early days. It will get better.

@Jockette thankyou for being a good support - sometimes I lose sight of the light at the end of the tunnel and at times get low mood because of the pain and lack of sleep and also boredom . what really bothers me if Im truthful I now I have mentioned this before is that when I move my leg sideward there is a click and severe shooting pain - got a appointment with PT this week and will ask if there are gentle exercises that could strengthen these side muscle to help

Exercises are not going to help a severe pain get better. Your knee is very upset from the assault of this surgery. It’s way too early to try to strengthen anything yet.

@bland9 i am almost 2 weeks ahead of you in recovery. I would get that sideways movement/click/pain in bed as I reposition. In the last week it has let up as I heal. This is a long recovery my walking endurance is very little yet. Discouragement is real, I spent the end of last week feeling very low. This is my second knee and I am learning these knees heal at their own rate they won’t be rushed. Distraction is perhaps our best friend...coffee with friends...going out to a restaurant that has booths where you can sit sideways and put your leg up... sit outside with a book...
Hang in there...we will make it through

Thankyou all - must admit Im am starting to feel low mood and on 12 th June got another operation another round of tests bloods etc -a urology Op so another pain to bare -MIGHT has well get it all done at once . so I be a new man when all right

Went for a very short walk today 5 minutes in total and " Blast how exhausted I feel now felt like I built a house" and went straight to bed to rest so tired and foot swelled up like balloon . wondered if this was normal and my first port of call is to this site and yes just part of the course I must say -thank goodness for this site and makes one wonder how we would cope plus the Doctors would be inundated with questions and call outs:flwrysmile:

Today went to the hospital and had Physical therapy, told I got poor leg straightening ask to lay on pt couch:elevate: and then she proceeded to press several times and very hard down on my knee ,at time did not experience much pain but now blast the leg hot and very angry with pain, not sure what the expected outcome for this procedure was to achieve , anyone else had this done or experience this:what::bawl:

she proceeded to press several times and very hard down on my knee ,at time did not experience much pain but now blast the leg hot and very angry with pain, not sure what the expected outcome for this procedure was to achieve , anyone else had this done or experience this:what::bawl:
You should know better than to let her to that. This is your second TKR and know that no one should be allowed to push or pull your leg to try and increase bend or straighten your knee. Now, you probably have been set back a week or more in your recovery because of this outdated PT. The next time anyone tries to do that tell them "NO!" You are in control and no one else.

I now consider myself told off - but one think these people are professional and know what they are doing and they got your best interest at heart, though my concerns at moment is my first TKR really playing up my knee hot and i feel the artifical knee - feel like a hinge at moment that is stiff and need oiling -with pain of cause

I now consider myself told off
Oh no, I certainly didn't mean it that way. It was said in jest. I'm sorry you took it wrong. It just really hurts my heart to read how PT can set people back so often by using these outdated methods.

I guess your old tkr is complaining about having to do most of the work now. Have you asked your OS about it being hot? With it being stiff it must certainly be swollen. Even if you don't see it on the outside it will still be full of fluid on the inside. That will cause stiffness. But, if I were you I'd call my OS about it being hot.

It just really hurts my heart to read how PT can set people back so often by using these outdated methods.
I agree. There is no reason, whatsoever, for anyone to force your knee to bend or to straighten. My PTs force bent my knee and so did my surgeon at all but my 7 and 12 month check ups (when I finally refused to let him touch my leg)

Please don’t let them do that again. It is only their opinion that it is necessary. There are PTs and surgeons who don’t agree with it. Since the opinions vary, that means that your opinion is the most important of all, and you decide what happens to your knee. They are not supposed to do something to you if you’ve told them not to. They are not the ones who deal with the unnecessary increased pain later.

@sistersinhim O please don't worry its nice to be told off -us men need to be put right:roseshwr: and of cause you are right -the force straightening has done no good at all and has had no benefit to me - I have now learnt though to late that it will not happen again or anything else to do with any force on the knee and I will be on the ball a lot more quicker, I am resting a lot more and I agree im putting more weight on the other knee when walking also its clicking a lot more and very stiff, must confess also its perhaps me trying to do more then I should . that's why i began to rest now a lot more and with no exercises at all not until swelling and pain resides.
And please feel free to tell me off at any time you think im being silly concerning my knee . I really do appreciate your advice :flwrysmile:

I am so glad you're not mad at me and your feelings weren't hurt. At least you have made it a point to not let them harm you anymore. I hope your extra resting will calm both knees down. Is your one still hot?

@sistersinhim Regarding knee its not hot now at all .just swollen plus shooting pain when moving laterally this aspect is very different from first knee and must admit this pain wakes me at night and Im really wary from moving my knee to much , talked to PT and others don't seem to take this to serious -surely this is not normal

It's only a month since your surgery and your knee is still traumatized from the surgery. It's tissues are still angry and inflamed. Most new knees really hate lateral movement, so that's probably the explanation for the shooting pain.

Most of the pains you feel at one month post-op will settle down without needing any investigation or concern. So will the stiffness, but that does take a while.

Here's an article abut knee clicking:
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom