THR Large knot under and along incision<

I would be just about healed if not for this lingering swelling under the incision. Like a water balloon. I have my balance and strength already and can easily stroll around the house without any assistance. Sitting in a non cushy chair or car seat is difficult after a few minutes as the incision is still very uncomfortable. Very frustrating as it doesn’t seem to disappearing any time soon. I see my surgeon 5/16 at the 4 week mark...

I am sorry you are still dealing with this!
I do not see how you could sit at all. It must be extremely annoying to say the least. I hope you find relief , I am going to say ( no medical instruction) that if it feels full of fluid it is not dissolving.

Whoa....you're not just about healed at 24 days post op. I hope you're meaning the incision is just about healed. There was a lot of trauma in the area, power tools were used and you'll be healing for months to come.

Sitting in the car is uncomfortable for many even without what you're dealing with. Your surgeon sounded pretty reassuring about it all, I hope that eases your mind somewhat...I imagine it is frustrating and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I wish you luck on Thursday, let us know how the appt. goes. We're here for you.
@Lucas2

Thanks Layla, mechanically, the hip feels great, but you’re right, there was a lot of work done in there.. This reabsorption as my surgeon has put it, is very slow going. I guess it will be one of those, “humm what happened to that hump?” I can’t wait.. Thanks again..

I'm just 2 days ahead of you, and my incision seems to mimic what you have described. It has steadily been improving. Of all the area affected by the operation, my incision and some thigh muscles have a little ways to go yet. I can drive, but it is somewhat uncomfortable. I drove about 10 min the other day, and I was limping for a bit afterwards.

Thanks chappy. Yeah, sure seems like we’re on the same track.. I can tap my incision area and it feels like a water balloon.. bugs the hell out of me.

Hi, I'm sure the hematoma is annoying, I feel like I'd be obsessed about it, myself. I'm sure you want to wake up and have it gone, or notice a vast improvement. I hope your visit with the OS offers you reassurance again and you're able to just ignore it for a time. From what I've read it seems they can take considerable time to be reabsorbed.
Wishing you speedy relief and a peaceful week.
@Lucas2

Layla, you have a great knack for offering calming advice. Thank you. But, annoying is putting it mildly. It prevents me from sitting down for very long and it begins to throb after 5 minutes of walking. At almost 4 weeks, my right hip was almost normal.. This left hip is slower going for sure. I know, differences are the norm..
What I had hoped for, was that others might chime in saying they too had this lingering situation and that it eventually successfully resolved itself..
@Layla @Chappyd

First, thank you for your kind words.
The bummer is having an easier recovery the first time around. I had a great recovery and fear I can never match it so I feel your pain there.
I'm going to see if I can wrangle up some people to come comment here. Let me do a little digging...
@Lucas2

Let's start with the forum Nurse @Josephine and see if through experience she has any words of wisdom, or further reassurance to offer.

@Fractured wondering if you could comment on your Hematoma here. How long it lasted or how it was resolved.
@SCaprae what about your Hematoma, how long did you have it?
@forbesy Noticed you dealt with a hematoma...wondering how yours resolved.

Most of the members in posts mentioning hematoma haven't been around in a long while, which is a good sign. People mainly hang around during early recovery and then after a few months move on, unless dealing with some type of issue. I'm sure (SCaprae) will respond in more detail and (Fractured) will respond also. Not sure if (forbesy) will get a notification he's been tagged. We'll see.
Hang in there, it's going to be alright.
@Lucas2

Of course...

I noticed I moved in my recliner on Friday and a lot of blood starting flowing into the wound vac. It was not a bright red color either... more like a dark red wine. If I re-positioned myself while sitting, it stopped. No pain. However, Saturday I ended up with a 104.5 fever and was rushed to the ER. They ruled out Influenza and immediately started me on Vancomycin suspect SEPSIS. I was lucky no pain from the hematoma. Nothing... no warning. Within 24 hours my blood count dropped from a wbc of 18 to a wbc of 9. I know sometimes they have to surgically remove the hematoma. That was my 5th attempt at a new hip. Now I get to wait until March 2020 to let everything heal and try for hip #6. Hope this helps. Any questions just ask away!!! Have a great day!!

Yes, Fractured has been through so much. Look at the photo of the first post on his thread. Definitely shocking. Not only has he been through a lot but he seems to take it all in stride so well and is even able to maintain a great sense of humor. He's beloved here. I don't know how he does it sometimes.

However, you can complain, be concerned, not hide your troubles here. We're here to listen, support, encourage and offer advice...when we're able. It's unlikely Josephine will be around today as she had a small amount of time away from the forum. Please keep checking back. I wish you all the best at your appt tomorrow and hope you'll share what you hear.
A great day to you!
@Lucas2

Slowly is the proper word to describe the way a hematoma heals. I still have a slight bump and a little tenderness at the site of mine & it's been quite a while. After the "manipulation" (trama)that your hip has seen it will be absorbing fluid from you the pelvis to the knee. I thought that my leg was going to "explode" is was so swollen. Took multiple weeks , longer for feeling to return. Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to reply SCrapae. Your comments give me great hope. When I had my right hip done in 2017, my leg went through various stages of considerable swelling, working it’s way down to my ankle. It resolved in a week or so and there was never any swelling near the incision.
My left hip NEVER swelled up at all. Not in my thigh or lower leg. Very strange. But when I took the bandage off on day 8, the incision was very raised and hard. You could rest a cup of coffee on top of the “hump”. Not much color to it either. As the next 3 weeks have passed, this has gone way down but not nearly gone. There is still a water balloon type feeling there and it’s very painful from time to time. Been out of Oxy for a couple weeks now but I think I should have more as the 1000mg Tylenol is worthlessI see the surgeon tomorrow, 4/16..
I sure hope your long journey continues on the positive trend it appears to be on..Goodness I feel for you!
@SCaprae

@everyone. I have a great wife who keeps me in line... LOL Also chatting here in Bonesmart is a Godsend. Everyone here has a bond and our stories help one another. This is the best I've felt since the first hip replacement back in Aug 2017. The more positive we stay, the better our chances of getting a successful outcome. I'm just glad I made it this far! LOL

@ Bonesamert Moderators.... I have pics of my incision as it bled and the wound vac couldnt keep up. That was the morning I got the 104.5 fever as the hematoma burst. It's not the most pleasant pic but if you say OK I ill post it along with others when I had the seroma as well.

Just got back from my 4 week checkup with my surgeon. X-ray looks great. Looked at and felt the hematoma, waved his hands and said with great confidence, “that will take some time but it WILL go away”. I said, “but it hurts and doesn’t allow me to ride in a car or move around for long”.

He wrote me a script for Tramadol, gave me ONE exercise which is to work on crossing my left leg and getting it up on top my right knee when in a seated position. He’s not a big fan of rigorous PT either but this exercise will enable me to put my own shoes and socks on! My dear wife liked that because he is keeping me on my restrictions for another 2 weeks.! Ugggg.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who have so kindly talked me down, even though most of you have had a much tougher recovery..

Happy Thursday :wave: @Lucas2
Many of us needed to be talked off a ledge at times. That's the great thing about the forum, we get it!
I'm happy you received the reassurance you did today.
It makes dealing with the inconveince a tad easier realizing it's only temporary. It's great to hear your x-ray looks good. Please don't be a stranger here. It's still early days and we'd love to follow your progress.
I hope you feel relieved and enjoy a peaceful day! :)

Good morning,
I too remember the first day that I could put socks on w/o using the appliance/dressing aid. How does it feel to lightly rub/massage the "angry" mustles , work on stretching (gently) while prone? It gave me something to do and did help range of motion.
Awesome sunrise this morning!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks