Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

I am wondering at 7 months and 12 days if my revision knee should still feel swollen inside with only a 115 degree bend? I have not ice my knee in months. I don't do a lot of exercising except Pilate's once a week. It is very controlled but I really notice it then. I really don't want to see my OS but wondering if I need and X-ray? My knee is not hot or red or extremely swollen on the outside. It probably is an inch larger than my normal knee....maybe it is from the implant itself. Surely I don't have an infection. It doesn't feel like I do.

Cementless,
You are only 7 months out from your revision, your soft tissues are still healing.
Suggest you start icing and elevating, and see if it helps with the remaining swelling.

@Pumpkln, thank you. I went to get my ice and I am elevating in the recliner now with my doggie sitting on my left side. We take naps together and watch TV/read/play on the Internet. I'll see if that helps. I'm not in any pain, just the discomfort from the internal swelling. e104948e-04f0-4aee-bfab-fe2bc710b130.jpg

Maybe cutting back the Pilates for a while would help, too? It's not uncommon for a knee to continue to swell for a year or so after replacement, if you do a bit too much for it on any day.

@Celle, My knee was like that before I started back to Pilates after the revision. I only do Pilates once a week for 30 mins. Half of the time is spent on arm work. Icing did help (2hrs in the recliner). I went from 115 to 120 degree in my bend. :)

Great pictures!

I love the quilt in the background of the first picture!

That’s so nice your friend made it for you.

Your socks are cute, too!

That 115 to 120 after icing/elevating shows it’s definitely the swelling keeping your knee from bending. Try icing/elevating regularly. It was over a year before my knee stopping swelling.

Question: I have been doing more resistance in Pilates and my knee is getting stronger. My question is what does arthritis really feel like in the knee? My good knee now aches. It is not really painful but I am aware of it sitting at the computer or when I am resting in bed. Walking and moving about it feels fine. It keeps me up at night. Tylenol ES 1 or 2 helps. It is a totally different feel to it than my knee that had the TKR/revision. I really never ever want to see an orthopedic doctor again if I can avoid it. Some day I will ask for an x-ray (maybe with my PCP) but I am not at that point. This has started just in the last month or less. It is not like when I tore my meniscus.

Cementless, I totally understand how you feel about seeing another OS about your rt knee. I still have pain/stiffness from my rt knee revision surgery done 7/17/18 and I have NO PLANS to have TKR on my left knee which is bone on bone. I do have arthritis and the pain is when I put weight on the joint where the cartilage is damaged. However, sometimes pain when resting. Interesting, that walking & moving doesn't bother you but pain keeps you awake at night. I'm sure the OS that did your revision surgery will want to see you when you are one year post op in Oct if not sooner. I'd get an x Ray on that other knee if I were you.

Question for everyone: Have you ever hear of the program called OsteoStrong? It is for building bone density. It only takes 15 mins, once a week. I had my 1 hr. orientation the other day and I think I like it. It really sounds to good to be true! My biggest concern is the machine where you do leg presses. On all 4 machines, you are suppose to press/push/or pull twice your body weight without injuring yourself......doing as much as one can tolerate. It has been around at least 8-10 years and is all around the world (ex: Iceland) and in every state.

I'd be afraid of pressing that much weight. Of course, I'm a scaredy cat. I don't want to wear out my new knee.

I have an interesting question to ask of the board: My dog has been diagnosed with C-diff. She will be on medication for a month. The vet ask if I or anyone in the family has been in the hospital or had surgery recently. When I told him about my knee revision 8 1/2 months ago, he said I should check with my OS to see if I have an infection. I do not have diarrhea or gut problems. The vet said a dog can get it from licking a person that has C-diff or from farm animals. My knee still has internal swelling and my bend can be anywhere from 120-125. I wonder if I could have an infection in my knee? It is not red or hot. I have a call into my OS but don't want to sound like a crazy person. :dubious: :shrug::dogsniff:

It only takes 15 mins, once a week. I had my 1 hr. orientation the other day and I think I like it. It really sounds to good to be true! My biggest concern is the machine where you do leg presses. On all 4 machines, you are suppose to press/push/or pull twice your body weight without injuring yourself......doing as much as one can tolerate. It has been around at least 8-10 years and is all around the world (ex: Iceland) and in every state.
I think it wouldn't be wise for you to do that programme. At 9+ months after a revision, your knee hasn't finished healing yet and lifting heavy weights with machines could be far too much for your new knee. We recommend not using leg presses.

Just got off the phone with a medical assistant at my OS's office. They though it would be OK to do OsteoStrong, the leg presses as long as I only do what I am comfortable with....maybe till it starts to burn a little. She also suggested icing, elevating, and a compression wrap to help hold the swelling down. Maybe use the compression wrap during exercise. btw: what is the best compression wrap people on BoneSmart use? I have an appointment July 16th with my OS to have x-rays of both knees.

I also asked about C-diff effecting my knee with an infection. She ask the PA and he said C-diff does not go into the joints only the gut. So I feel better about that! I did send an email to our PCP to see if they need to test us for C-diff (our vet suggested it).

The PA said the implant/revision is pretty stable after 6 months to not worry about hurting it or making it come lose.

The vet said a dog can get it from licking a person that has C-diff or from farm animals. My knee still has internal swelling and my bend can be anywhere from 120-125. I wonder if I could have an infection in my knee?
It's unlikely that you have an infection in you rnee. Although it's still a bit swollen, it's not seriously painful , or hotter than it used to be.

And even if you did have a joint infection, It's most unlikely to be caused by c-diff. You would have shown signs of a c-diff infectoin long before now, if you had it. After all, it's been 9 months since your surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member