TKR Back pain

NanaJackie

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi please add me to the list of post op patient list. Thankyou

Hi NanaJackie, Welcome to Bonesmart!

Please tell us the exact date of your surgery and what surgery it was, partial or total replacement.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi
I’m 6 weeks post surgery. I’m finally beginning to manage most of my PT and daily activities with minimal pain. It still takes a lot of effort though. I can walk about a mile now with one crutch and for the first time in 30 years I can Walk without a limp.
My question is about sleeping. I find my nights are broken so I’m only getting about 3 hours at the most of unbroken sleep. I am not in pain so much as discomfort and stiffness. This means I’m sleepy during the day. And even though I had never napped during the day before I need a nap every day now. Is this usual?
Regards

I would say very normal. This recovery takes a lot out of you. Not only are you missing night time sleep but your body is using so much energy healing, making muscles relearn.
Be kind to yourself

@NanaJackie
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Hi
I have been struggling as much with back pain as the knee pain post surgery. I find only way to ease it is lie down flat with a hot water bottle on my back. Does anyone else have back pain?

@NanaJackie
Once again we've had to merge your threads. Please don't keep starting new threads. You just have one thread for your recovery.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Please read the advice that has already been left for you, particularly the recovery reading.

Backache is very common in the post-op stage. All your joints have to adjust to your new gait.

I used a heating pad--but the hot water bottle sounds good. You wouldn't have to worry about falling asleep with it on like a heating pad. I napped at the drop of a hat. :)

@NanaJackie

for the first time in 30 years I can Walk without a limp.

Well that is something amazing ! :wowspring:

I have noticed trough my readings that many people say you should get new shoes as many things can change post op and it looks like it has for you. What others have said makes sense, your body like a car has just had it's shockies changed and will drive differently to what we had become used to, perhaps this is the case for you.

It seems a positive step and I wish you well for the rest of your recovery.

@NanaJackie Hi there, what you describe is normal. You are not sleeping well yet, so just nap when you can. Backache is understandable - everything is adjusting to the changes brought about by surgery, as well as being exhausted. I had pains all over the place - groin, calves, butt, hip to name a few! Wow, walking pain free after so long, isn't it wonderful?

Hi
Thanks for the reassurance everything is as it should be. I ventured out for a walk with only one crutch yesterday. It felt wonderful at the time. Was walking relatively balanced on both sides. Felt great. Today set off again. Ow! Ow! My left calf (operated leg) was agony. So ended up limping back to rest and ice. Sigh.... two steps forward and one step back .... time for a nap .... sleep heals... I’m learning

So sorry about creating new threads. Was a bit muddled with what was what at first. I think I understand now. Call it knee brain fog?’!
My surgery was a TKR on 29th March.

It's very much 2 steps forward and 1 back. I can remember my first day walking without a stick, great feeling and then not so good when those aches and pains return. I'm coming up to 4 months and backache is awful, but I do have scoliosis to contend with on top of the altered gait due to TKR and my chiropractor is working on it. My podiatrist advised me to check my shoes for wear and either or buy new shoes and I was surprised how my old shoes had worn when I checked them all out. It sounds as if you're on track.

Thanks good advice the shoes. As mine would certainly be odd shapes after having such an uneven hair for so long. My arthritic knee leg was significantly shorter than my other leg.
Loving all the advice and support on this forum. Thanks it making my knee journey seem less lonely

And I missed out repair, was sure I typed either repair or buy new :shrug:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks