THR LABabyMama's Recovery Thread

I would think bending over to pick her up off the floor or out of a crib might be a problem, but I think a bigger issue in these early days is the lack of stability you might have while standing/walking. Do you still have to walk with a walker or a cane? If so carrying her might be a problem.

I don’t see any problems sitting in a chair or lying in bed for snuggles. In fact I think it would do you both good!!:SUNsmile:

I celebrated my 1-week anniversary this morning by snuggling in bed with the baby for the first time. It was heaven. My husband had been nervous about letting me have the baby earlier because of my incision and instability. But, other than the effects of the oxy, I have to say I’ve been feeling pretty good.

I ditched the walker a couple of days ago and was getting around fine with the cane. But then the PT came and said he wants me to keep using the walker because my muscles in the operated leg are still not receiving messages from my brain and he wouldn’t want me to fall. I’ll do what he says because I’m not in a rush to use the cane, but my operated leg feels stronger than I expected. I never really got that “log leg” sensation. I’m able to bend the leg almost to the 90 degree point and I’m just starting to be able to lift it when straightened.

In honor of my anniversary, I’ve decided to start weaning off the oxy. Today I’ll space out my doses from every four hours to every five hours. If that goes well, then I’ll try going to six hours.

Also want to say to anyone reading this who may be considering surgery or nervous about their upcoming surgery, this whole experience has been amazing so far. I thought I was going to be an invalid, but I’ve been able to get up and walk around and take care of myself (with the exception of getting ice and preparing meals). Except for one day of pretty bad pain post-surgery, the pain has been well managed. All the previous bone on bone pain is gone. I’m walking so much better than before. I can finally sleep at night. I know I still have a long way to go to be fully healed and able to resume the activities I love, but for the first time I am confident that day will come.

Such wonderful news about the baby snuggles this a.m. @LAbabymama! So happy to hear about your progress not being near as bad as you envisioned. And you'll be able to start doing all the things you love and have missed, slowly but surely. It's always easier to say once you've been through it! Just keep up with the baby snuggles and enjoy those precious moments!!!

Thanks everyone! I definitely would not have been as mentally prepared were it not for this wonderful forum. At least my obsessive googling had one positive outcome — it helped me find you!

The home health nurse just stopped by to checked the drainage from my incision and I now have a question (probably for a nurse). It looks like the drainage has finally stopped (yay!). On Monday the doctor told me that if the drainage didn’t stop by today, that I would need to start taking Cipro as a precaution to prevent infection. Today there is no sign of active drainage - only some old dried up stuff on the dressing. God news, right? But the nurse at the office said I should take the Cipro anyway. Naturally I am now totally confused. I am not one to mess with infection, but I also don’t like to take antibiotics unnecessarily. There are no signs of infection - the incision is healing great, there’s little pain, and my temperature is normal. So what should I do? Take the cipro anyway? Or tell my OS that I’d like to wait a couple more days to see if the drainage starts up again? Help!!

I wound call your OS and ask for their recommendation. Home nurse is well trained I’m sure but I’d feel better with my doctors office weighing in, if I had any doubts

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I wound call your OS and ask for their recommendation. Home nurse is well trained I’m sure but I’d feel better with my doctors office weighing in, if I had any doubts

It’s my doctor’s office that was recommending the cipro as a precaution. But I talked to the PA this afternoon and since it looks like the drainage has stopped, they agreed I can hold off on the cipro for now. If it starts up again then I’ll take the antibiotic. Just hope I’m not making a mistake. I know it’s better to be safe than sorry, but I also don’t like contributing to antibiotic resistance.

Today’s update: so I started spacing out the oxy yesterday and as a result dropped one full dose. Would definitely say my pain increased considerably. I was fine in the morning, but by the evening I could feel the staples in the incision and also a lot more muscle stiffness and pain. Maybe about a 3-4. I’m running out of oxy and hesitant to ask the doctor for a new prescription. I know it’s hard to get in the U.S. and don’t want to make my husband run around looking for it. After my first baby was born he went to three different pharmacies and eventually gave up, leaving me in a lot of pain for a couple of weeks.

Other than the increased pain, I’m doing okay. Dressing on incision looks clean and no signs of infection. I’m getting around well. Husband gave me a sponge bath today. Feels good to finally be clean!

I had to call my OS office and they prescribed by the week. Never had any problem getting it re-prescribed but the insurance would only take it by the weekly prescription and the pharmacy had to have a handwritten script from the OS. I signed a paper so my husband could pick up.
I would call my OS and have him redo the prescription

Today’s update: so I started spacing out the oxy yesterday and as a result dropped one full dose. Would definitely say my pain increased considerably. I was fine in the morning, but by the evening I could feel the staples in the incision and also a lot more muscle stiffness and pain. Maybe about a 3-4. I’m running out of oxy and hesitant to ask the doctor for a new prescription.
Great news! Remember not to get behind the pain...even if it's just the staples. I have full bottle I didn't touch if you need some :)

Is there anything else you would tolerate for the pain? I found Tramadol works pretty well for me. Just a thought...

I celebrated my 1-week anniversary this morning by snuggling in bed with the baby for the first time. It was heaven. My husband had been nervous about letting me have the baby earlier because of my incision and instability. But, other than the effects of the oxy, I have to say I’ve been feeling pretty good.

I ditched the walker a couple of days ago and was getting around fine with the cane. But then the PT came and said he wants me to keep using the walker because my muscles in the operated leg are still not receiving messages from my brain and he wouldn’t want me to fall. I’ll do what he says because I’m not in a rush to use the cane, but my operated leg feels stronger than I expected. I never really got that “log leg” sensation. I’m able to bend the leg almost to the 90 degree point and I’m just starting to be able to lift it when straightened.

In honor of my anniversary, I’ve decided to start weaning off the oxy. Today I’ll space out my doses from every four hours to every five hours. If that goes well, then I’ll try going to six hours.

Also want to say to anyone reading this who may be considering surgery or nervous about their upcoming surgery, this whole experience has been amazing so far. I thought I was going to be an invalid, but I’ve been able to get up and walk around and take care of myself (with the exception of getting ice and preparing meals). Except for one day of pretty bad pain post-surgery, the pain has been well managed. All the previous bone on bone pain is gone. I’m walking so much better than before. I can finally sleep at night. I know I still have a long way to go to be fully healed and able to resume the activities I love, but for the first time I am confident that day will come.

So glad to hear you are doing so well! Thank you for the encouraging words. I am scheduled for June 5 and def getting nervous. I also have no idea what chair I should get to set comfortable in. I only have a huge low deep sitting couch and barstools in my house for the most part. Suggestions?
Tara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a refill of the oxy (Percocet actually). I called 3 different CVS locations near me and the third had it. The home nurse had warned me to call first and I’m glad I did!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I would think the first pharmacy you picked up from has it? Keep in mind the weekend is looming.

Glad you were able to get your refill. I remember panic setting in when I didn't think I would have mine over the weekend.... And how I could stretch things out. Glad that didn't happen for you!

Is there anything else you would tolerate for the pain? I found Tramadol works pretty well for me. Just a thought...

@inthebeginning I thought about asking for Tramadol instead. Don’t know if it’ll work as well - the oxy has been a solid performer. But I’ll ask the doc tomorrow. I have some left over Percocet from baby #2 that I could take in a pinch.

I got a refill of the oxy (Percocet actually). I called 3 different CVS locations near me and the third had it. The home nurse had warned me to call first and I’m glad I did!

@JennyLynne I don’t know if it’s a California thing, but the pharmacies here won’t tell you if they have any narcotics on hand. Really annoying.

I would think the first pharmacy you picked up from has it? Keep in mind the weekend is looming.

We got the first prescription from the hospital, and it’s a bit of a drive. Thankfully I should have enough to make it through the weekend and a few extra days.

I also no idea what chair I should get to set comfortable in. I only have a huge low deep sitting couch and barstools in my house for the most part. Suggestions?

I have a recliner with a lift that I actually haven’t used much. Been doing most of my recovering in bed. There’s a lovely view of the backyard in my room and a TV. But it sounds like recliners are definitely the way to go.

Last edited:
@Tarajeane couldnnt find your thread? But I never got on with the recliner and just sold mine. I like my high backed old fashioned armchair - like they have in hospitals and nursing homes. Easy to get out of. You might be able to borrow one? Or all the online furniture shops have them.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back