THR Tollers number 2.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and having a good week. :flwrysmile: :SUNsmile:
@tollertwins

Just managed to walk across the room w no cane and no limp :) No speed either, but oh, well.

Started PT Monday w somebody who seems to know what he’s doing. Started w 3 isometric exercises ONLY even though it was almost a month since surgery.

Today we added a couple moving ones. If it hurt (pinched more than hurt, tbh) we worked alternatives till we found something that DIDNT have any discomfort. I can notice a difference in my walking already.

Also talked to him about the trouble I am having w shoes. The Keens are pretty stiff and take a lot of effort right now to do the “heel to toe” thing, so he thinks that as my butt muscles get tired that my lower back starts trying to “help” and then it gets irritated and I start getting referred pain from there. Don’t know if that’s it, but it sounded reasonable.

Hey there,

Psoas impingement syndrome - I don't know if this what I have now , but I definitely had it before surgery on both hips. Now I have pain in the front of my hip with hip flexion and sometimes a little burning if I overdo it, but none of that pop with the stabbing pain. I assumed it was my quad tendon that was forcibly yanked to one side during surgery, but there's no way to tell for sure. Anyway, it is improving.

I started running track and cross country when I was 8 in So Cal because that was the only sport available for girls at that time. I got my first pair of orthotics when I was 12 (they were leather!), so I have a lot of experience with them. It definitely can be a chore to find shoes that they fit in. My best luck is with running shoes. Do you take the factory insoles out of the shoes when you put the orthotics in? Also, if your orthotics have a floppy neoprene like piece under the toes, that can be trimmed to fit the shoe you like. I just did that with mine.

I always take the insoles out. The orthotics are adjusted on the bottom to sit on something totally flat. Most of the shoes I’ve tried still have enough arch support to throw them off. I called the store that adjusts shoes and they may be able to help w some shimming. Going to see them Weds.

What I’m feeling in my hip is more what you have now, so hopefully it’s just after effects of surgery.

6 week check in. I FINALLY found some shoes that make it easier to walk instead of harder! They have a mild rocker sole w some squish, so I can do the heel/toe thing w/o getting jolted. Wish they weren’t quite so high, but at this point I will take what I can get!

These in case anybody else runs into similar issues. I finally realized that since my 20’s I always had a mild rocker or an underslung cowboy boot or my low back wasn’t happy. Guy who made my orthotics also did some adjustments on my Keens that helped, but right now I need squish.

My link didn’t work...they are by Traq (Alegria subsidiary) and called Qwik.

Did about 1/3 of a mile w a single cane today.

PT has started some deep tissue work to get my low back, glutes, and adductors to loosen up. That is also helping. If my low back is really tight I start locking out my knees which makes the heel come down HARD!

Sending a note to the doc on Monday asking if I can start some light elliptical yet.

I'm glad you found a pair of shoes that work for you. I looked them up - they look very comfortable, (and the pictures on the website are in my hometown of Ventura, California!)

I just bought a pair of Adidas that seem to be working OK for me but now I am having problems with my right foot - arthritis I think. Since I have met my out of pocket maximum on my health insurance this year I think I'll go have it looked at.

So I had Gua Sha (similar to ASTYM, IASTM, Graston, etc) done on my adductors by the PT yesterday because after 10 years of not working properly the fascia and tendons are a gnarly mess and are interfering w my ability to walk.

He worked groin to knees.

My initial impression was :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:, aalthough it’s not like he didn’t warn me. The leg was NOT pretty last nite, although the discoloration is starting to subside today.

And I gotta say, it’s a heck of a lot easier to walk today. One of those things where I wonder if it really works medically, or if it just scares your body into not doing what it used to do.

Has anybody had a scar pull while walking?

After I’ve walked a little while, and especially downhill, the area just yo the outside of my scar PULLS! It feels really bizarre and kinda hurts.

At 2 months out I thought things would be loosening up.

I get weird feelings there too. When my muscles get tight, it also gets numb in that area. This will still happen on my right hip as well, although not as often or as much. My PT spent much of our appointments massaging the muscles in my thigh and low back. I have been through with PT for about a month and I am having trouble with my muscles getting tight now.

PT starting to think I have some impingement. Or, at least psoas issues. Getting the adductors straightened out and the pain in the groin is moving more towards the center.

@KathyD did you have a shot?

I only had injections pre-op. Since I am now 4 months out I am able to stretch the front of my hip without too much pain. Prior to that, my PT worked on my psoas by gouging into my abdomen - not too much fun, but it worked. (She was actually pushing on the psoas near the lateral pelvis area). I think some of my central pain, which mostly is all that is left, is from the quad, which I'm sure the surgeon had to yank far off to the side to get to the joint. But that is getting better, too.

Ow! I have had that psoas thing done before. It HURT!

I just did some illegal stretching and it knocked the pain down,,,so maybe it’s that the muscles are still like cement. Will mention to the PT next week.

Happy Two Month Anniversary to Lefty!
Consider running your issue by your OS, or a member of his / her care team, rather than your PT, if it's ongoing.
I'm sure through a few questions they'll have advice, offer reassurance, or determine you need to schedule a
visit with your surgeon.
I hope you find relief soon.
@tollertwins

I have an apt late next month. Pretty sure it’s hip flexors at this point. I hadn’t been going to go in early figuring they can’t do anything to address it till after 3 months? Do they do cortisone injections earlier than that?

Hello :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hope all is going well.
Leave an update next time you drop by the forum, we'd love to hear about your progress.
A great Spring and Summer to you! :flwrysmile:
@tollertwins

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie