TKR evonovitch's recovery thread<

I continue to do stretching, ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes, and do deep water aerobics, so I’m not overdoing it.
You may think you’re not overdoing it but your knee may not agree and your knee is in charge.

You are only halfway through this year long recovery. And as Roy said, your leg has been reshaped and your body needs to adjust.

26 weeks out
1. My pain ranges from 2-4.
What still?
2. I am only taking Tylenol 1000 mg twice a day a now with an occasional Tramadol.
Okay
3. Swelling between moderate and slight.
Moderate swelling will add about 4 points to your pain score - making it 6-8.
4. Extension is 0 and flexion is 120.
Very good!
5. I ice my knee about 3 times a day for about 45 minutes.
Okay
6. I elevate when I ice.
Good
7. I am doing all activities (currently living in a small condo), like cleaning, cooking, shopping.
okay

Exercises at home 2-3 x a day - in point of fact, given your excellent ROM, you don't need to do any of these are all
1. Extension: foot on chair, lean in, hold 15 sec 3 x.
2.flexion: strap on foot, slide foot toward me 15 x
3. Stretch hamstring and calves.
4. Biking and water exercise for strengthening

Or any of these

Still going to PT but planning to switch to massage - well given that you really don't need to do any exercises at all now, you don't need massaging either!
30 years ago I had an ACL reconstruction, and I’m wondering if that has complicated my recovery.
What makes you think your recovery has been complicated? It looks like it's been pretty good so far.

I have a friend who is having the exact same thing and she's 6 months out, so hang in there. She's doing massage. My leg got straightened out too and I've had only a little bit of that lateral pain, so I'm lucky. But then again, I pretty much avoid anything that aggravates the knee. It's possible your IT band is adjusting to the change in alignment. It goes down the outside of your leg and adds structural support and is very fibrous, not stretchy, so I haven't been convinced stretching it will change anything and am letting it adjust in its own time. I think you may experience some relief of symptoms if you stop PT. Better to focus on activities that add to your happiness. I am finding, at 3.5 months, that the tissues are just cranky. I will take some measures to strengthen and tone later, when the tissues are less cranky.

Thanks for the replies. It’s hard to be patient when I think I should feel better than I do. I’m wondering if the Peroneal nerve, which runs from the knee to the foot, is involved.

Are you having nerve pain? Which would tend to be burning or hot in nature. Sometimes one diagnoses a problem by applying a remedy. So if you give it good rest, a week for instance, and it settles down, you'll have your answer.

I’m wondering if the Peroneal nerve, which runs from the knee to the foot, is involved.
Most unlikely. First follow my suggestions for at least 6 weeks and see if things improve. Which they will!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts