THR Swelling<

Congratulations, @ orange, we have the same date for surgery, so you're my hippy pal :wave:

(I'm still using a stick until I stop limping, but that's fine :))

Good for you. That is awesome!
You're on your way :walking:
Hope you have a great week!
@orange

:wowspring: You are doing well! My husband gets quite emotional when I have an accomplishment ~ drives it home just how invested they are in our recovery. Although we whine and complain them sometimes, they have been through the wringer in a different way than us and are getting their life & spouse back too.

Congratulations, @ orange, we have the same date for surgery, so you're my hippy pal :wave:

(I'm still using a stick until I stop limping, but that's fine :))
Hi Mollymum, aka hippy pal :wave: I still limp, and won't be in any rush to lose my stick but just wanted to test myself. How's your back? Cos mine is really painful and stiff when walking around.

:wowspring: You are doing well! My husband gets quite emotional when I have an accomplishment ~ drives it home just how invested they are in our recovery. Although we whine and complain them sometimes, they have been through the wringer in a different way than us and are getting their life & spouse back too.
Carriemay I couldn't agree more they have been through all this with us and supported us, just a pity they can't share the pain :heehee:

So after having really bad back ache after walking around for a while I have decided to go back to 2 crutches for a while to see if that helps, I think I might be leaning on one crutch too heavily so basically I'm lopsided. Just walked up and down the garden path with the 2 crutches and seems better, I am putting very little pressure on either crutch , do think this is a good idea or a step backwards? Totally confused

I think this is a good idea.
Just be mindful and deliberate when placing your feet. No falling:bignono:
That hip is stronger than you think...it's all the soft tissue and muscles that are still healing.
Have you done any solo cruising ...kitchen countertops, back of the sofa?
Two or three solo steps can build confidence.:yes:
Lots of improvement to come!:ok:

Last edited:
Hello :wave:
You're still very early days at just seven weeks post op when you think about how long you'll have the prosthetic.
So if you need an assistive device right now, use it. Not sure if you're limping but if you are -

A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

A great rest of the week to you!
@orange

I think this is a good idea.
Just be mindful and deliberate when placing your feet. No falling:bignono:
That hip is stronger than you think...it's all the soft tissue and muscles that are still healing.
Have you done any solo cruising ...kitchen countertops, back of the sofa?
Two or three solo steps can build confidence.:yes:
Lots of improvement to come!:ok:
Hi mojo, yes I have done a few solo steps and everyday I can see I'm getting stronger. I will carry on doing counter surfing and a few solo steps but for the majority of walking I will use both crutches for a while longer

Hello :wave:
You're still very early days at just seven weeks post op when you think about how long you'll have the prosthetic.
So if you need an assistive device right now, use it. Not sure if you're limping but if you are -

A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

A great rest of the week to you!
@orange
Thanks Layla, I do practise heel to toe walking, I limp sometimes but not tooo often anymore, but for. 5 weeks post op I think I have come along way, just a bit annoyed with myself for having to go back to 2 crutches but if it helps in the end I will do it, I was trying to run before I could walk metaphorically speaking

There's no shame in taking a step back. I'm posting Mojo's often posted reminder that Recovery isn't always
a straight line. Complete recovery takes up to a year, even longer for some. There are starts, stops, twists and turns. You're doing fine :yes:
Keep on truckin :walking:

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

I am doing the same for slightly different reasons. I had completely dropped the walker for the cane during the day for 3 days but have noticed my hip and quads are much more sore and my giat was getting weaker as the day went on. I am going to alternate more for another few days and then try again. I don't see it as a step back but a move in the right direction to give myself the best end result.

I am doing the same for slightly different reasons. I had completely dropped the walker for the cane during the day for 3 days but have noticed my hip and quads are much more sore and my giat was getting weaker as the day went on. I am going to alternate more for another few days and then try again. I don't see it as a step back but a move in the right direction to give myself the best end result.
Yes Carriemay, sounds like a good idea, the perfect end goal is what we want

Hi Mollymum, aka hippy pal :wave: I still limp, and won't be in any rush to lose my stick but just wanted to test myself. How's your back? Cos mine is really painful and stiff when walking around.
Hi, orange, not been on my computer for a few days, and yes I still have 'twinges' in my back, L bum cheek and thigh-- worse by the evening after a day of 'activity' :shrug:
I can manage everywhere with 1 stick, but left leg still feel 'unsafe' if I try to walk without it, and I worry about falling! So, more time with a stick for me :umm: but we will all get there in the end, I'm sure:loveshwr:

Indeed we do. There is no shame re going back to crutches for a while to work on gait. I found one stick very tiring at first and was developing bad habits so went back to the crutch temporarily. I think the care and time I spent really learning to walk properly again after years of misaligned muscles really helped. I am glad I did it that way.

Now I think I am 85% better and walking normally but will never take it for granted!

I hope today finds you well and that you are keeping that patience muscle toned.
Still early daysy friend...but you will get there!
Hope your Sunday is Sweet!

Well the weather is absolutely beautiful here on the Isle of Wight today and I have been very busy, busy WATCHING my other half weed the borders, WATCHING him mow the lawn, WATCHING him strim the edges, I'm exhausted now :rotfl::rotfl:. But I did throw a few seeds in a pot and water them. Oh and I made us a sandwich for lunch, I think that's fair:heehee:, he probably doesn't agree, but hey ho. I'm now relaxing and icing while my partner does us a roast dinner. My hips been fine but my back not fine.

Well the weather is absolutely beautiful here on the Isle of Wight today and I have been very busy, busy WATCHING my other half weed the borders, WATCHING him mow the lawn, WATCHING him strim the edges, I'm exhausted now :rotfl::rotfl:. But I did throw a few seeds in a pot and water them. Oh and I made us a sandwich for lunch, I think that's fair:heehee:, he probably doesn't agree, but hey ho. I'm now relaxing and icing while my partner does us a roast dinner. My hips been fine but my back not fine.
Gorgeous weather here too, though I'm a bit achy today after a busy weekend so just pottering about and a walk to post a letter

Glad you’ve got some good weather on the IOW.... we are opposite you between Bognor & Chichester...
I have been supervising the garden activities too.... it’s tough but someone has to do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back