Wheels or no wheels on my walker?

Tarajeane

Country
United States United States
Should I get a walker with or without wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tarajeane .... You'll notice that I've moved this post to a thread of its own in the Hip Pre-op forum as it fits better here. I mentioned your question in the title to hopefully draw some discussion your way about walkers.

Hi @Tarajeane
Welcome to BoneSmart. Not sure if you noticed these articles from the "Help and Information" below the blue bar at the top of the page. Lots of info that may help in navigating and getting the most out of the forum as you await your June 5th surgery date.
Wishing you comfort in the interim.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/how-to-use-this-forum.74/

Regarding the walker. I used the cheap aluminum type with two wheels and tennis balls on the other legs. Most people don't use a walker for more than a couple weeks anyway so I certainly wouldn't spend a lot of money on one if you're purchasing it.
@Tarajeane

Regarding the walker. I used the cheap aluminum type with two wheels and tennis balls on the other legs. Most people don't use a walker for more than a couple weeks anyway so I certainly wouldn't spend a lot of money on one if you're purchasing it.
@Tarajeane

Ok thank you!

I had two wheeled walker. More stable early days and as Layla mentioned, hopefully not a permanent fixture!
Wishing you all the best as you await this amazing surgery.
You are going to do just fine!

In my pre op class we were told to get the walker with just two wheels and no tennis balls for safety reasons. But it could be noisy for sure.

Here's my 2 cents: I've been using a two wheeled walker for about the last 2 months (pre-surgery, as I'm that bad). It's much more stable than the 4 wheeled and also easier to manage than crutches.
All the best in your recovery!

Last edited:
I'm an odd ball, I love my 4 wheeler. However, I do see really valid points in the above posts especially with the stability. I was more or less used to it since I had used it with my first surgery. They can have a tendency to drift if your not hanging on to them too. In that respect I'd probably opt for a 2 wheeler. :flwrysmile:

Per the OS post op, it was recommended to use a two wheel walker when I had my first hip done. It worked out great. My walker was one that I had from my knee surgeries where the wheels were optional. The funny thing was that for the knees I was told not to use the wheels. Check if any of this will be covered by your insurance post op before buying ahead of time - unless you need it now in the pre op wait.

I’d recommend the 2 wheel as well for the stability. As @leejaa said, be sure to check with your insurance as it may very well be covered by them. They gave me mine in the hospital and it was covered by insurance. If it isn’t covered, check local thrift shops as many of them tend to get a lot of walkers and canes and you can pick one up very cheaply. I made a fabric “bag” for mine that I used to carry my phone, meds, a drink, book, etc around. If you sew at all, just Google free pattern for walker bag and there are several patterns available. I only used it a couple weeks but it sure came in handy. Some people use a small bicycle basket I’ve heard. Sending good wishes your way...

This is a really good topic as I never considered that a 4 wheeled walker could be less stable, in that it might roll when you might not want it to. The person using it would most likely have to have a good thought process to use the brakes on the handles, also.

I have a family member with Parkinson’s and wonder if a walker will be needed in the future. But if his thought process is also dulling at that point, a basic 2 wheeled walker seems it would be a better option. However, I do like the option of a seat on the walker.

I did find a 2 wheeled walker with a seat on Amazon but the reviews were pretty bad.

Since I was in for a long haul with hip spacer then THR, I went ahead and bought a walker. It is 4-wheel (with giant “cross country” wheels) and I love it!! I used to trip all over things with the standard-issue, 2-wheel walker. I feel so much safer with new one.

Hi, my bed is slightly higher. My husband bought a small stool to step on for me. No surgery yet, but I practiced using it.

We took out the lower mattress which is very firm so a bit like a box spring for the first 10 days or so. Those steps you use for aerobics/exercise would be perfect! Wide, stable as heck. My husband just built me a wooden one to practice weight transfer and strengthen op leg glutes, etc.

What kind of chair does everyone prefer to sit in when watching tv etc. I need to buy something due to my couch sitting low and the style can not be raised. Or does anyone have the same situation and have pillows or something to raise it?

I think most/a lot of us use recliners. Can you rent a recliner, if you don't want to buy?

I bought a high upright armchair from a charity shop and returned it after 6 weeks when I could sit in conventional furniture again. It was very easy to get up from, excellent back support and ensured the 90 degree rule was not broken.

I had a walker for the first day in hospital and left with two sticks.

Ho @Tarajeane
When you mention your sofa can not be raised....are you referencing the furniture risers than can be purchased rather inexpensively?
@Tarajeane

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member