MUA knee so stiff<<

@mature mama many thanks for your thoughts and yes great to be home and resting especially from them naughty physiotherapist :yikes::yikes:. . knee very sore and painful and lots of bruising but that's to be expected.
Though concerned about how much rest ie laying on bed or in chair i should do - has back of my thoughts is the post -DVT - also at moment very difficult to bare weight on operated leg having to hop along - cant remember if this is normal at this stage

Last edited:
If you're concerned about DVT, keep doing those ankle pumps, and walk a little bit every couple of hours.
Try to bear a little weight on that operated leg. It's safe to do so. Take some of your weight on your walker.

Are you taking your pain meds on a regular schedule? You need to do that.

please could someone give me some idea how much time I should be resting on bed or in chair to walking about exercising =I am aware everyone different but I would like a little indication on what is the best- for me at moment I spending a lot of time resting and very little walking about I would say 10 minutes walking every hour the rest sitting or laying

at moment I spending a lot of time resting and very little walking about I would say 10 minutes walking every hour the rest sitting or laying

That sounds perfect. I spent the first two weeks being a total baby, icing one or two hours a day, several times a day, reading, getting up for a snack or the bathroom. I never sat because I kept my leg elevated.

Do you feel you’re doing ok with the 10 minutes every hour? It may be a little too much this early. Being up doing necessary daily activities is one thing, and counts as a walk, but no need to add an additional 10 minute walk, in that same hour.

I was told to walk about 5 minutes every hour that I was awake. In the very early days I didn’t always make the 5 minutes and not every hour.

My surgeon’s assistant emphasized “every hour I was awake.” They had a patient who came in for a check up and told them how tired she was. They asked her if pain was waking her up. She said no, it’s all the walking. It turned out she was setting an alarm to wake up and walk those 5 minutes every hour! Poor lady! So they had to modify the recommendation.

@Jockette I must admit standing or walking for 10 minutes is far to much for me at the moment and several times I just walk from bedroom to other bedrooms in house or toilet than back on bed, very little exercise just foot moments that's all I can do, leg is far to painful and sore and swollen to do much more- I am icing very regularly
Also now starting to feel tearful and regret and frustration for having it done- I know this will pass but just wanted to shout it out

Last edited:
Also pain really is excruciating at moment has mention leg so sore and painful cannot put any weight on it at all - surely this is not right, not at moment doing anything in exercise wise ?
Pain management is I'm taking
Nefopam 30mg -3 times daily - 90mg in total
Co-Codamol 500mg 2 tablets -4 times daily- 4000mg in total

I would call your doctor and let them know about your pain level, hopefully they will make an adjustment for you.

@bland9 , I was in a lot of pain at one week. I highly suggest calling your surgeon if you can't get pain under control. Saying prayers for you :console2:

@bland9

Hoping you have managed to get your pain reduced. Those first few weeks I did very little but elevate and ice. Rest and let your body heal.

been to physio today for first appointment today -usual questions and measurement - she remarked my leg very swollen and HOT= she was concerned about DVT obtained 2nd opinion heat is post op - told me to elevate = ice and very gentle movements for feet and gentle leg lifts 2-3 times daily and will monitor next week,
Got to see Doctor for pain tablets review, Though Anyone find leg evaluation painful has much has i do

It is very early for you. Hoping the ice and elevating takes care of the swelling and heat.

Elevating without heat at the moment.

Not sure about the drug treatments you get in UK verses the US, but having constant pain abovea 6 or7 is not having it managed right IMO. I am on my second knee, and there are times that my pain would shoot that high , maybe at end of pain medication before next dose, but even then that level of pain would be very temporary. I am not sure if anyone else will jump in with any numbers but I would say proper pain management would keep you in the 0 to 3 plus range most of the time. I am 5 days ahead of you and that is where I bounce around in mostly. At the moment I am about 1.5 hours from my next dose , and I am around 1 to 2 plus on pain scale with occasional jump to 4 but can rearrange knee and get that to drop.
Ice and elevation help a lot in between and during pain meds. Hope you can find a way to reduce your discomfort, cause can ‘t imagine if you are constantly above 5 how you can bear it.
Best of luck and strongly advise as would others you get back with doctor.

Thanks to all for advice- Sat in chair yesterday for about an hour and wow didn't I feel it afterwards -leg hurted all night -so at least I know I still need to lay leg on bed elevated more than sit in chair- though point of my entry today is that got a phone call from urology department this morning and got another operation book in and coming up early in July stating I got all clear from my surgeon for to have another minor op which I waiting for on a day procedure= is this ok anyone's view on this

Though Anyone find leg evaluation painful as much as i do
Are you trying to elevate with your leg completely straight? That hurts, so don't do it. It's quite OK to have your knee slightly bent when you're elevating.

Have another look at this article:
Elevation: the do's and dont's

These are examples of elevating correctly, with the knee slightly bent:

hudson-shaped-wedge-jpg.68083

pillow-stack-jpg.32383

@Celle I got the first pillow shown in the picture - what I believe is happening I got hyper sensitivity in the knee anything touch my leg I jump-what causing this I don't know but driving me potty ! also a sharp pain behind the knee cap everytime I try to bend it too= again not sure what going on:scare:- just believe it all part of the healing process

Both things happening to your leg now are very common, sensitivity and pain under cap. Same with me , although at 2 weeks out knee pain is definitely getting better. Sensitivity forme is inside of kneeand outside is kind of numb. Normal I am told because one of he nerves is cut during surgery. Don’t be surprised if pain moves around as weeks pass. Also normal as it heals little by little .

Having my staples out tomorrow thank goodness beginning to itch very badly- but wow the nerve shocks in leg have increased -one nearly sent me flying from the bed and the others are constant - so trying to ice more often to try keep them in check . not sure if that's the right thing to do has made little difference -anyone advice how to deal with these nerve shocks in leg- rom still around 60% but still early days and don't expect much -has my other leg can only do 90% and that after 2 years post TKR

but wow the nerve shocks in leg have increased -one nearly sent me flying from the bed and the others are constant
I described them as lightning bolts shooting through my knee. Our name for them is zingers. They last off and on for quite a while, but aren't as severe as time goes on. Ice never helped mine. Only time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom