TKR Snoots recovery thread<

@Jockette because nobody would have the surgery :shocked:
@Jodingers I agreed with what you said about knee feels horrible and stiff in the evenings. Mine hurts so bad that I can hardly sit still sometimes. I’m like an antsy child. Then when I go to bed I can’t sleep :tiredwheel:

Good morning @snoots . Good to hear A positive update. I’m a day behind and in a similar place!
I don’t use anything in the house and either a stick, one or 2 crutches outside. It depends on what I’m doing and how I’m feeling!
Don’t let work pressurise you. It would be wrong to return now as you couldn’t do your job. I’m so happy my employers are realistic.
I hope you have a good week.

@catkin69 You’re up early!! I woke this morning to some lovely ligament pain. I’ve stayed hidden under the duvet and the kids are now off to school. Hoping to hide for the whole morning under here!!

@jboles
I know those feelings well. My leg feels stiff tin the evenings ( actually it feels stiff all day) but it also doesn't want to be still in th evenings. Trying to watch the TV and I can't get comfortable. I long for my bed but when I get there I am still uncomfortable and can't sleep.
Last night I listened to the radio for an hour and then had had enough. Got up at 12.30am and went downstairs to the recliner. Stayed there all night. Still there now and husband has just brought me in a cup of tea. :)
Slept better in the recliner than I have done for a while so might do this again.

Enjoy some time under the duvet Snoots. I'm 3 months now. It does get better, but then you do more because it feels better and then feel you're going backwards again, or at least I do. I try to keep in my head that my OS did say expect pain and swelling for 6 months at least, but don't think my head accepted the reality of it! Having said that, I know I can do much more each week and if I look back over the weeks I can see the improvements. Yesterday was my moany, whiny day, but then did some dancing just night and felt so much better. It helps to get it off our chests.
This morning I realised what had been done to my leg when I was doing some stretches in bed, lifted my operated leg straight up and it was straight! When I lifted the other one that needs doing there was nothing straight about it. I think it made me more appreciative of what my poor leg had been through.

@snoots I was awake at 5 this morning so came down for a cuppa and a cyber catch up! I was stiff this morning but have just walked 2 miles and it feels better now! You stay exactly where you are. Sometimes it’s just what you need x

@catkin69 I know I'm a couple of weeks behind you... but crikey, 2 miles?! I do half a mile z couple of times a day + feel my leg might fall off! !!

Today I managed to go to the gym. Well that is to say I went through the front doors and sat on an exercise bike. 3 mins later I was off said bike and in the jacuzzi instead.
I was pleased I managed a few revolutions on the bike with a normal (ish) bend in my knee. I’m so paranoid of overdoing it that the slightest pain, I stop. Am I being too cautious? I know I can expect some discomfort but this was stabbing pain in my knee. Hence why I stopped.
I then visited my friend who is a beautician and she gave me a lovely Fire & Ice facial. I’m told it’s what all the celebs have done. I may have a geriatric knee but I don’t need the rest of me to look geriatric!!

@snoots Good to hear you're out at the gym.... I find it's as much as attitude as anything else... just that you went and gave it a shot says something... :thumb: To me... That FIRE & ICE thing sounds more terrifying than the bike... :heehee:

@snoots
It's great that you got to the gym. I don't think it matters at this stage how much you did there.,
I understand what you say about being paranoid with the slightest pain. I would be the same too although my physio said there is nothing I can do that will hurt the knee.
I guess I am just a wimp and don't want to put myself through pain :)

My OS said stop if it hurts, discomfort is ok, but not pain, so I think you did the right thing. I found the first rotation on the bike was really uncomfortable, but the following week it was much easier.

I can’t wait until the day I can walk back into the gym, good for you for trying! I plan on trying the pool when I’m more sturdy on my feet. The wet ground scares me:scare:

@snoots , I just had those thoughts very thoughts...those ‘I wish I hadn’t of had this surgery’ thoughts. I thought that I was getting past thinking that way, but I am laying here in bed at 3:00 a.m., waiting for my second pain pill to kick in. It’s always when I am in pain or struggling to do something that used to be routine and easy when it hits me. Good to know I am not alone in thinking this way!

Last edited:
@catkin69 I know I'm a couple of weeks behind u... but crikey, 2 miles?! I do half a mile z couple of times a day + feel my leg might fall off! !!

@Jodingers I walked with 2 crutches. I can do more distance that way. Walking with stick I can’t go very far!!

@Irish471 you are def not alone. I am now approaching 8 weeks and have my good days and bad days. I think as the weeks go on, I am becoming more frustrated with the pace (or lack) of my recovery. Certain things are coming back like taking steps without that horrible screechy arthritic pain but I have a clunky knee instead. What is worse? At the moment I’m not sure.
Still at the questioning phase of recovery!!

Ladies, we are all in a similar position. This is a tough operation. There is no getting away from that.

@snoots I am lucky that I don't have a clunky knee, although do wonder if I still have that to come, I hope not. I assume that the 'clunk' isn't painful just very off putting?

My physio gave me a massage yesterday. Put oil on and then deep massage into the tissues/muscles above the knee and more gently below the knee.
The massage above the knee was quite painful but I could feel her getting right into the nitty gritty so to speak. I had the best nights sleep I have had in weeks last night so something went right.

She also suggested that it may help me if I got something similar to this
upload_2019-4-30_10-48-24.png

Apparently she bought her dad one after his knee replacement and it really helped.
The cheapest one will do but because they aren't very heavy you would need to put the foot against a wall or something similar to stop it wandering away.
Mine should arrive tomorrow :)

Wishing you all a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
@snoots I remember those feelings so well. It's very much an up and down recovery that's for sure. I did find things improved once I passed 8 weeks, then another backward step at 10 by overdoing things. Now at 14 weeks there is a definite light at the end of the tunnel. Things seem to be improving in leaps and bounds now, but .I dare say there will be a few more setbacks if I overdo anything. It is frustrating when it all seems so slow though!

@snoots , I have those thoughts during a setback, for sure! Most of the time, I am good. I have a bit of a clunk, too. I wonder if it's due to the type of implant that's used. Maybe it will diminish once we wear things in more? It's a question I will ask at my 6 week post op appointment this week. The clunk doesn't hurt, it's just odd. I think I will get used to it if it doesn't go away.

My physical therapist prepared a report for the OS and asked me a lot of questions, such as how long (distance or time) can you tolerate walking. I honestly had no idea how to answer that and I realized that maybe I should be pushing myself to do more activity. Maybe? :heehee: All of my walking has been around the house. I just want to take it slow so I don't overdo things with the knee because the soft tissues definitely need to settle down still. I think you did the right thing to stop the bike when you got that stabbing pain.

I too have a clunk on occasion.... most notably going up or down stairs. My OS says this is very normal and typical and should reduce as the muscles and ligaments regain their strength and proper position. For reference, I am 8 weeks post-op tomorrow and still have the clunking....

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks