TKR So grateful to have found this community

I have been on holidays to the snow for the past week. Not enjoying the break as much as I normally would. My new knee still likes to remind me it's still not very happy and needs to rest. A change of scenery has been nice though. I have been using the gym where we are staying and have managed a full rotation on the exercise bike. Is uncomfortable but not painful. 5 minutes a day for the last 3 days. I'm pretty happy with this as I must be making some progress on my ROM. I am back to my OS at the end of September and nervous that he won't be happy with me after the MUA.
Sleep has been ok, waking up about 3-4 times per night but not staying awake for hours like I used to. Have given up taking anything to help sleep except some magnesium tablets.
Still have another 5 days of holidays then a 10 hour drive home which we will do over 2 days.

I hope you are able to enjoy your holiday! I went on a long trip at four months post op with my first knee and I remember thinking before my surgery that four months was plenty of time to be completely recovered. Ha! But it was still wonderful to get away and see my family and I made sure to give myself a lot of TLC as needed.

Congratulations on being able to do a full rotation! That's something to celebrate. :yes!: :happydance: :yay: :spin:

Try not to worry about what your surgeon says. You still have plenty of time, as ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement.

Hi @Relle i'm pleased you had a break away x My knee didn't like the heat in Turkey, 40 degrees plus some days ! I think i may have been better in the snow too ! Do you feel happy with your progress ? If you do, i wouldn't worry about what the OS says, as long as they confirm that physically everything is where it should be then i would be happy with that. My knee is still painful some days and still a bit swollen, but other days i can feel that it's getting better. My ROM is about 110 and my extension is about -5 i think. I didn't think i'd go back to better sleep either but slowly i'm increasing it, last night i got about 5 hours which was lovely. I think because it's cooler here now it helps. My doctor has given me some stronger Ibuprofen and it seems to help more than the Codeine thankfully.
My daughter goes to Uni in 4 weeks and her accomodation is on the second floor. No Lift :yikes: that will be an interesting day for my knee ! She's taking everything she owns i think, might have to enlist some help !

I had a lovely facetime chat with my sister in law in Melbourne this morning, she said it was cold ! I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday xx

Hi @HopAlong good to hear from you. My holiday has been good but very tiring. We are staying about an hour out of Melbourne and it is cold but not as cold as when we were up the mountain. The last 2 nights I have had to contend with stairs up to the bedroom. This has been difficult. My home is single story which I have taken very much for granted. A couple of days travel and I'll be home and back to what I am used to.
I am reasonably happy with my progress. It has been slow and I am not nearly as active as I used to be. This has become more apparent on holidays as I have not coped well with being out and about all day and have had to rest more often than I would have liked. Both my legs are aching so I know I've overdone it. (again)

My ROM isn't 110 but it's getting better. Probably about 100, I haven't had it measured properly since my last OS visit. Glad to hear your sleeping better, I'm a bit all over the place, every night is different. 1.30 am and I'm posting this but that's ok.

Good luck with helping your daughter move. I think you will have to get help. It's hard to ask when you are used to doing everything yourself but sometimes there's no choice. The thought of going up and down stairs multiple times makes me cringe.

Glad to hear your sleeping and pain have improved. I keep telling myself this can't go on for ever. Slowly but surely we'll get there.

You'll see big improvements in the next several months. It sounds like background noise by now to keep hearing people say this is a year-long recovery, but it really is that long. Your post-MUA knee is just now becoming minimally competent at things like stairs and being on your feet for long periods.

Slowly but surely, indeed. You'll get there, and in far less time than forever. :friends:

Thanks for your encouragement @SusieShoes it certainly feels like a long road and is in comparison to any other surgery I've had in the past. When I look back to those first few days of baby steps and using a walker to get around (and not very well in the beginning) then to a walking stick I appreciate how far I've come and I'm definitely not the only one on the journey.

@Relle i'm ok going up and downstairs luckily as i live in a 2 storey house, but after a day walking my knee lets me know about it ! I treat the stairs as physio and force myself to do it without holding on, easier going up than coming down though !

It's normal for going down to be harder than going up. It will come! It had been over 20 years since I had gone down the steps like a normal person. It came after my trk. It still took a while, though. Now, I do it and am still thanking God that I can do it the adult way!

Had my 6 month check up with OS yesterday. I was a little nervous because my ROM is still not great but extension is good. I needn't have been concerned and said as long as I am making progress that's fine. Calling me a tortoise again but I'm ok with that. He also told me that I will continue to improve for up to 2 years, something I'd already learnt from Bonesmart.
Will have to look at getting my right knee done next year. Not looking forward to it but a know I will be much better prepared.

I needn't have been concerned and said as long as I am making progress that's fine. Calling me a tortoise again but I'm ok with that. He also told me that I will continue to improve for up to 2 years, something I'd already learnt from Bonesmart.
I'm glad your visit with the surgeon went well.

So, you're a tortoise? Remember that the tortoise won the race because he just kept on going steadily!
Tortoise forward.PNG

Just dropping in for an update. Past my one year anniversary and going ok. No pain in my new knee at least but both legs can get restless at night so sleep is broken. A little walking seems to help and then I can go back to sleep. Will be getting my right knee replaced in a few months. Not looking forward to it but I don’t see me functioning properly until I get it done and make it through the recovery. At least this time I have a more realistic expectation and knowledge of the process.

Hi, Relle, nice to hear from you. This recovery is a very long one, isn’t it?

Best wishes for your next surgery. Knowing what to expect will be very helpful, but it also has a downside, doesn’t it? We’ll be here for you!

@Jockette lovely to hear from you. I certainly appreciated the advice you and the other admins gave me last time round. When I had my 6 month checkup last September the OS told me I needed my right knee replaced and to come back when I was ready. It was a big no way from me but now I know that I won’t be able to physically do what I want to until both knees have recovered I want to get it over and done with. I’ve decided to wait until our Spring because I remember what it was like trying to keep warm in the winter.

I’ve decided to wait until our Spring because I remember what it was like trying to keep warm in the winter.
I agree. If I ever do this again I’d like to do it late spring so that when I was ready to take walks outside the weather would be warm. This surgery was mid March, which is towards the end of winter here and it was still pretty cold outside, April is pretty cool most of the time, too.

I’ve decided to wait until our Spring because I remember what it was like trying to keep warm in the winter
Hmm, every day you wait is another day your knees rule your life, another day away from full recovery. I'd say go for it ASAP & buy a blanket/turn the heating up this winter.

I understand what you are saying. I suppose I’ve not long accepted that I need to go ahead with the operation if I ever want to get back to near normal. I was totally unprepared last time and therefore think I suffered more both physically and emotionally. This time I want to feel a little more in control.

Back from the OS this morning. Booked in for my right knee replacement on the 22nd of this month. It is hindering the recovery of my left knee replacement so I have decided to go ahead. I am anxious but feel I need to keep moving forward.

Best wishes, and we’ll be here for you!
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties