Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

Just catching up on your thread, Jolease. With my previous surgeries it seemed like a new symptom was popping up every week. I shed lots of tears during that time and I expect to this time around too. These things eventually resolved, but I know how frustrating it is when you’re in the middle of it.
:gaah:

@swmrgirl I have to say it one of the hardest things I’ve endured in my life. I really wish I knew what I was up against from the beginning. I try and remain positive but when new pain arises it beats me down. Thanks for reaching out, this is a hard recovery for all of us and it nice knowing you aren’t alone. I will catch up on your thread also :) :-) (:

I have to say it one of the hardest things I’ve endured in my life.
Just about everyone says that. People should be warned what they are going to be facing. I think many would choose not to do it if they only did. To me it was worse than having a baby. But, just like having a baby, once it's over with you find out it was well worth it!

To me it was worse than having a baby. But, just like having a baby, once it's over with you find out it was well worth it!

I had a 10 pound baby with an epidural that didn’t work, and I always rated my pain levels according to that. TKR tops that pain!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow marks week number 7 once again. Things are going ok. I went camping for Easter, wasn’t easy but I really enjoyed the fresh air and felt normalcy.I set up the couch so I could elevate and ice. Hubby did most of the cooking. I still know I over did it as I was sore and swollen and had to ice and elevate lots once home. The smallest tasks take a toll on the knee. I still have the pain behind my knee and on one side of my calf. I notice it’s more painful doing stairs foot over foot going down, so I just do the 2 feet. Maybe I’ve pulled a muscle or something. At rest it’s not to bad. Hopefully doc or physio will know what’s going on there. I get pain in different parts of the knee at different times. Sometimes it the scar or beside it, the top of knee cap, or medial side. I’ve noticed zingers the last few days and the nerve burning pain also has worsened. I’m hoping I won’t need to go back on the gabapenton for that issue. My quads are super weak still and I think once the knee heals more and can strengthen them walking will be easier. I often wonder if the mechanical feel and stiffness will ever subside.I go for my 6 week check up Friday and I also made a PT apt with a new physio. Been feeling a bit blah past few days as weather here in beautiful B.C has me wanting to get out and walk! I did get walking poles and have just started using but I can’t go too far yet. I was thinking of putting my knee brace on and see if that helps any when I walk. Hope you all are recovering well. Xx

@Jolease I have been told by my OS that going down stairs foot-over-foot is one of the hardest things to master post TKR... my OS is 18 weeks post-op and still cannot go foot-over-foot down stairs.

I too had severe zingers and over-sensitive nerves firing and am still taking the gabapenton. It does not bother me and actually helps put me to sleep in the evening. I take one 300 mg tablet daily.

My quads are also still very weak but they are starting to come around. I have been working on them pretty hard recently with PT and starting to feel the strength slowly come around.

Hang in there ... sounds like you are doing pretty well! :thumb:

@JDinCT Thank-you:) with my partials it wasn’t an issue, but this time I can do it but it hurts and it’s not smooth that’s for sure.Nice to know it’s not only me.
I was on gabapenton last time and found it didn’t help me so I haven’t bothered taking it so far. If the zingers and nerve pain get worse I defiantly start them again. I can walk unaided around house but my leg tires easy and I start to limp.
Crazy how bad my quads are , but one difference I notice this time is they don’t have the pulling sensation all the time. That drove me crazy. I start with a new pt tomorrow to help with quad strength. Also hoping he can help with the calf pain. I think I’m doing pretty good for a third surgery and 7 weeks out :)

You're really doing very well.
I notice it’s more painful doing stairs foot over foot going down, so I just do the 2 feet.
If you can already go downstairs foot over foot, you're well ahead of the game. It can take some people as long as 4 months before they're able to do that. So, at this early stage, I think you're wise to still do two feet to each step when going downstairs.

@Jockette Thanks, I plan on being very careful and since I’m paying I’m boss! It may be to early so I’ve just booked one apt to see what they have to offer. I’m going to a pt in the ortho building so I’m hoping they don’t plan on trying to train me for the Olympic s like the last physio did a surgery ago :gaah:.

Wow @Jolease - you have been thru a lot! I’ve been told - and imagined on my own - that my 3 prior meniscectomy scope surgeries (and injections etc etc) increased my scar tissue and would put me on a different TKR healing schedule - you’ve had two partials and now a full that close together? It sounds like you’re doing really well in recovery! I haven’t read this entire thread yet, but I think you may be my new hero... the courage to go back for more after once is a thing to behold.

And to those who can say it’s worse than childbirth - I’m kind of relieved to hear that. With docs trying to pull pain meds at lightening speed and some of the stories we hear - it’s good to know we aren’t hypochondriacs! I haven’t had kids, but I’ve had two ADR spine surgeries, and I now liken those to going to a day spa vs this TKR recovery.

What kind words @IronGirl6 no hero just determined to get my active life back! I can say one thing though it feels like it’s been a bad dream so far. I would never advise anyone to have a partial, had I been more educated I would of waited or demanded a TKR but of course we listen to the professionals. I was told I’d be back to my 5k a day walks in 3 months... well it’s 17 months later and not even close:(.
But then I’ve read so many that have had issues with tkr’s also. I have 4 kids and had no drugs or epidural with any, these surgeries give me all the drugs that I can have!! Way worse Lol. So far I’ve been lucky to get the pain relief I need.
I think I feel like I should be further ahead as I’ve been trying to recover for ever it seems.
Sounds like your recovery went really well until PT pushed too far. I hope it just angered the knee and things will subside.
I can’t wait to get back walking ( leisurely ) and my gym membership has been on hold since first surgery :boohoo:. I’m nervous on my new PT tomorrow but my quad is so weak I’d like some help strengthening. I will be telling him I will not be pushed or do lunges with 15 lb weights like last pt -last surgery. Ugh. Anyways I hope your knee just needs some TLC and your back to a active life! Keep us posted. Xx

Good morning, wow the pain behind my knee is awful. If it’s not one thing it’s another. This pain has been going on for a couple weeks now and it runs down the side of calf. I sure hope the surgeon or physio can help figure it out. I ice and rub voltaren on it but seems I get it down to a low roar than I do something to stir it back up. Last night it woke me up from moving in my sleep. Maybe I’ve pulled something?
I get my 6 week check up/ x-rays today. Also have PT (I should cancel) I’m not really worried though as I’m telling him straight off I want things slow and easy. If I don’t like his approach - see ya. Hope everyone has a good day :flwrysmile:

Maybe ask the PT for some massage.

Good idea @Jockette although I’ve never had a massage from a PT before. I’ve had the ultra sound machine. This is a new place so I’ll see how it is. Last surgery PT they tried to train me for the Olympics. :thud:

I’ve read other members have had some type of massage done on their leg at PT. My PTs did that in the very early weeks to help move the swelling. It was gentle and did feel good. That’s the only good thing my PTs did for me.

@Jolease, almost sounds like the IT band issues I had. Massage helps a lot for that. As well as avoiding or limiting the activities that aggravate it. Good ITB stretches also help.

@Jolease i can remember at one point waking up each morning and trying to guess where the aches or pain might hit that day. At 3 months I can come downstairs on alternate feet, but there's still discomfort and if I do too many the knee soon lets me know, so at 7 weeks you're doing well. As the others have said, I massaged behind my knee and it really helped. I used a paint roller (don't laugh), it worked a treat. Hope the check up wentbwell and you got some answers. :console2:

So PT went well he started assessing me and was very impressed with my ROM. He did a massage to loosen the knee( yay) then I rode a bike for 10 min and onto some exercises. I told him straight off I want to build my quad but not at the expense of hurting my knee. He put some suction type of machine on after to calm the tissues and nerves.
OS was also very impressed with my ROM also , he said even for a first surgery not a third I was ahead of the game . X-rays looked good and will see me at the 3 month mark.He along with physio thinks it’s a hamstring issue behind knee and down calf. I will continue with exercises at home to strengthen glute and thigh then go back in 2 weeks to PT. I was happy with PT although I might not say that tomorrow ..
Oh and I have a red area at the bottom
Of my incision that he said was where dissolving stitch was, he didn’t seem concerned but said if it got bigger he’d put me on anti biotics. And also got more tramadol as I’m not quite ready to be off it yet.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back