TKR Snoots recovery thread<

@snoots thanks. How are you feeling today? I am trying to get packed to go away tomorrow. Trying to find clothes that fit and are comfortable! I can feel a shopping spree while I’m away. Won’t be able to do the long walks so will need a different pastime!

@catkin69 I am better today - sitting with my feet up, ice pack on and ignoring all whining from aforementioned children for lifts to and from the golf course! Where are you off to? I am living in my Sweaty Betty warrior sweat pants - I bought them when I was pregnant (a long time ago!!) and they have now come back into favour - stretchy waistband and black! I recommend the spa rather than any type of walking!

@snoots I’m pleased you are having a better day. How old are your children? I have been living in joggers and leggings too. Before the op I lived in skinny jeans as I wore my brace over them. All my other clothes I wore before my knee gave up and I gained a stone !!
We are off to Padstow. It’s a yearly thing with friends. 18 of us this year. Will be hard as we usually do a lot walking followed by eating. This year will be just the eating for me!! Spa sounds like a plan. I will investigate what is down there!

I still live in M&S yoga pants. Soft stretchy fabric and lovely stretchy waistband. Perfect!

@snoots I’m pleased you are having a better day. How old are your children? I have been living in joggers and leggings too. Before the op I lived in skinny jeans as I wore my brace over them. All my other clothes I wore before my knee gave up and I gained a stone !!
We are off to Padstow. It’s a yearly thing with friends. 18 of us this year. Will be hard as we usually do a lot walking followed by eating. This year will be just the eating for me!! Spa sounds like a plan. I will investigate what is down there!
@catkin69 Padstow - how lovely! Have a brilliant time.

I have three boys - 10, 12&14 - all very busy and demanding in their own way. I haven’t dared look at my skinny jeans although with my loss of appetite since my op, I’m hopeful they may be a bit looser. Daren't even try them as I think I’d top myself if they are as tight as before!

I honestly think those who mentioned post op depression are right. I spent most of today in tears for no real reason. Yes I’m in pain when the painkillers wear off but I shouldn’t really be this upset all the time. I know it’s all to be expected but it doesn’t make it any easier when you are in the middle of it.

I know. Its quite embarrassing somehow. Other family members tend to be shocked by it and not sure what to say or do. I was there after my first TKR but, thankfully, not after my second. Pain wasn't an issue it was more what seemed to be the constant struggle with no apparent end in sight. But by TKR 2 I knew that 'This too shall pass' is true! You will too.

@snoots mine are 13 and 14. Most of their activities are term time.
I wish I had lost my appetite!!
I am testy all the time. Sat on the harbour while the others have taken the dog down to the beach and feeling sad! I know next year will be back to normal x

I am testy all the time. Sat on the harbour while the others have taken the dog down to the beach and feeling sad! I know next year will be back to normal x

I think you need a couple G&T to lift your spirits.... :snork: :cheers2:

Hugs to you! Big big hugs from Sunny Dorset. X

@JDinCT I’ve had a cheeky beer. Slipped down very nicely. Gin drinking starts tomorrow when our friends arrive.
Hugs gratefully received thank you @snoots I miss being able to walk for miles!

So I now find myself in week 7 and am perhaps beginning to emerge from the fog.

The pain is def subsiding but I am still reliant on my crutches when I go outside. Don’t feel confident without them.

It’s funny but I feel that I am getting to know my new knee - it’s taking a long time to accept it and to come to terms with the assault of surgery. Someone on here described it as a mugging - absolutely spot on!! The knee feels clunky and stiff in the evening but it feels ok during the day.
I am getting lots of pressure from work to return but I have not committed to anything. I’m a PE teacher and I know I will be expected to run around on my return. Not going to happen!!!

@snoots as you know I am a week ahead of you and I have been mugged too :)
My knee feels very stiff and I have to concentrate hard when walking to try to get to something that resembles 'normal' walking.
Luckily I don't work these days but I know I definitely wouldn't be ready to go back to work and certainly not as a PE teacher. Stick to your guns until you feel ready.

@Bionic are u walking without any aids now? I feel like I should be getting rid of my crutches but I just don’t feel ready (or steady) to go hands free!

@snoots
I do walk without crutches indoors. When I saw my OS 2 weeks ago I was using 1 crutch and he said it was making me lean over to the side where the crutch was. So he said either both crutches or no crutch, hence no crutches now. But If I go into a shop I will take 1 crutch with me, more to warn others.
I haven't actually been out on my own though so when I am out husband is with me and I can hold his arm if I don't feel confident.

Me too - I have been going without crutches indoors too but I am so scared I get bumped outside I always have 2 crutches. I overheard someone at the school gates today complaining about how painful her sprained ankle was (in her aircast boot) I had wee chuckle to myself. They really don't know pain until they have gone through this!!! I say that and I've had 3 children too!!
I also take the crutches out because I look like I've had too many beers if I walk without them.....

@snoots I had my tkr same time as you and I’m still with my cane. I can go in the house without aids gingerly , but that’s it. I have new pain behind my knee and down one side of my calf. This started a week ago, hoping it passes. I get pain in different areas of the knee. Today I’ve just felt so over this recovery. I’ve been recovering what seems to be a lifetime. I couldn’t imagine going back to work as a PE teacher anytime soon. My knee feel foreign and mechanical. I really am hoping things will get more “ natural” and less painful in time. Keep your chin up and know your not alone in this! Xx

@Jolease I'm with you on that. The words you use 'foreign and mechanical' are EXACTLY how my knee feels. Do you find yourself asking 'why did I go through with this?' I do. I take comfort from reading the threads of people who are ahead of us in their recovery and hope that it will get better. I know it is very early days but goodness - we are OVER it aren't we??!!

@snoots This is my third surgery in just over 16 months on the same knee. Yes I very much wish I never had this surgery. I’m so hopeful this last one ( a full) is going to give me some of my active life back. I’ve read so many threads and it’s hard not to compare yourself to others. Also I can sympathize with others too, as this has not been a easy recovery in the least for me. You’ve gone through a lot yourself and I think we just need to remember we are only 7 weeks out from a long recovery and can’t speed up our bodies pace. Least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it lol. I got my first round of zingers the other day ( shooting pains) in the knee. I was like seriously? Adding that in the mix too? Ugh. How’s your swelling? If I’m up for to long or try and act like an uninjured person, it swells good. My quad is also very weak from all this trauma and not walking properly for so long. Now please pass the cheese to go with my whine... lol. We can and will get through this, wish I was samatha off bewitched and could twinkle my nose to make us all painfree and back to normal. Xx

Oh guys, I'm behind u by a couple of weeks + so feeling what ur saying. I feel like I've been told, get over the first 2 weeks , first 4 weeks, first 6 weeks..... it feels never ending. My knee is better in the daytime + massively horrible + stiff in the evenings. It is really helpful to know it's 'normal' On the good side I haven't cried about it for nearly a week.....
We will get over it, when u think back to the first couple of weeks there has been improvement. J just wish the OS or PT had spent 5 minutes talking to me about what really to expect post op. I knew it would be hard but was completely unprepared.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom