TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

@traceys awesome post! What a wonderful PT to practice doing what you want to do, not just the routine exercises. Keep up the great work.

Tracey I'm so very happy for you! My similar success came a little earlier in recovery than yours, but I can tell you that once those things started happening for me - the stairs, the bath, all of it - it just kept getting better and better. I sincerely hope that happens for you!

Ugh....just read about your hip troubles on Dianes's thread. :groan:

Girl, what are going to do with you?

Yup the hip has joined in on the adventure now. Xrays show instead of it externally rotating in the socket like we had hoped once the knee was done it has instead partially come out.

Still progressing but another ball being juggled into the loop.

:console2: That’s just not fair after all you’ve been through.

I put the X-ray here if anyone wants to peak

Was taken standing anterior view. You can see the R femoral head vs the socket and a few other misalignment issues that weren’t there about 2 yrs ago on a previous X-ray.
Will find out more Thursday. Surgery is NOT even a topic of discussion.
:bignono:
So blessed I have my treatment team....they are all over it.

Thanks @Jockette but I learned very early in life that life is not always fair but it’s never un-doable. I’ll figure it out. :console2:

90EBE776-DD97-40CD-987B-258E33CC6970.jpeg

Thinking of you...glad to see you’re going in with an open mind to see Dr. G :heehee:
Seriously sorry the hip is causing problems now... not fun.

No wonder you've been uncomfortable! Uncomfortable is probably putting it mildly. Keep us posted on your treatment.

:wave:
Wow it’s been a while! Strange how time flies when you are rejoining the world!!

So....my life right now is filled with weird comparisons of what I can or can’t do.

I’m 8.5 mnths out now. Getting set to see the OS in a few days and feeling a bit anxious about it because I’m no where near the numbers he wanted. My pt has been measuring once a week as they are charting progress now for my long term disability insurance. Basically I’m at 85 with about 88-90 after warming up for 20-30 min. Extension is about 10 she said. Been there for months now. But...

The big thing is I’m back doing a lot more now:
I’ve been out photographing a lot again finally incl a course where it was a 2hr drive each way and standing for 2hrs in the cold and even had to kneel proposal style a few times. Knee performed and felt better than expected (still swelled massively a day after but...)
I’m walking outside with my poles 1km every day now. Used to take me an hour when I started at the indoor track. Now it’s 35min before it tightens right up.
The big one is...I can now consistently pedal the upright bike at therapy full rotations for 90 sec. then POOF it looks like a melon.

We are working on the muscle strength now. Everything is so atrophied and having to pull diff angles since the TKR but I can feel such a difference.

Can do stairs slowly up and down foot over foot about 90% of the time. Still struggle to get in and out of most vehicle front seats.

Still not back to work but I’m volunteering a lot with my fav charity in tasks that mimic my job. I find out early June when I can go back.

All in all seeing the little victories daily but getting super bummed out about what I still can’t do

Been sneaking peeks in here to catch up on some of the old gang and notice how many have moved on. So proud of everyone. Will pop back in again at some point but wanted to say hi

The big thing is I’m back doing a lot more now:
I’ve been out photographing a lot again finally incl a course where it was a 2hr drive each way and standing for 2hrs in the cold and even had to kneel proposal style a few times. Knee performed and felt better than expected (still swelled massively a day after but...)
I’m walking outside with my poles 1km every day now. Used to take me an hour when I started at the indoor track. Now it’s 35min before it tightens right up.
The big one is...I can now consistently pedal the upright bike at therapy full rotations for 90 sec. then POOF it looks like a melon.
You may not have the ROM your surgeon wants, but look how much better your knee is functioning.
I always think that function is more important than the numbers.

@traceys so glad you checked in I have been wondering how you are doing. Will be thinking of you as you see Dr. G. So proud of you for getting back out and enjoying your photography and volunteering...adapting to new normals!

Great to hear from you. That's a great improvement Tracey even if it's not quite what you were hoping for. So pleased you managed to do your course. It's such a boost when we can return to doing the things we enjoy. Good luck with the appointment and continued success in your recovery.

Hey knee friend ! Just wanted to stop by and check on you. I see it’s still not smooth sailing. But in saying that, it looks like they have improved quite a bit.

I am not all the way recovered but getting there. Knee flexion is not anything like I expected but my extension is super. Contradictions for sure.

Keep on keeping on my friend!

Melanie

All I can say is:loveshwr::spin::dancy:.
Good to hear from you!

I thought I'd you last week at the beach. I was in a cute shop and they had a pillow for sale. It said:
"I'm tired of adulting. Let's be mermaids!"

@traceys so glad to see a post from you! I think of you often and how right you are time flies when you get back to the land of the living. I am happy to see you are making progress and getting back to some of the things you enjoy. You were a huge support for me in the early dark days and I wish you nothing but continued recovery and good things ahead! Good luck with your upcoming appointment!!

Well - update after seeing my OS for my 9mnth followup and then talking it over with my treatment team.

I can now walk just over a km a day using my walking poles. Time is about 18 min/km but by the end I struggle with form so we are cutting back to 1/2 km daily with slower pace and perfect form. :running:

I discovered I can now get in/out of the passenger seat of more vehicles than just our big pick up (HUGE thanks to my 6 friends who all surprised me and drove over last Saturday and lined up on the street so I could test on their cars. It was hysterical to see I’m told!) :rotfl: The cars low to the ground or compact still elude me but that’s ok!
I can drive a golf cart now so can get out and volunteer or drive hubs around the course (I never golfed myself but freedom!!!) :driver:

OS appt went great... I love him
He spent about 15min with me sitting on the bed beside me talking despite being behind. Said my extension was better than he expected at +5 and the flexion is as expected hovering between 85-90. He said when he opened me up he was stunned how bad it was and I was in his top 3 worst knees. It’s still not fully bending and I have bursitis in the medial border as all the soft tissues are pulled taught from correcting the huge angle issue. He said had he known he may not have done it himself and sent me to his mentor who is an hour away. He said he was thrilled to hear what I could do now and the things I couldn’t ... you never know in the future. The hip has not slid out any further which is encouraging to him. Next checkup on my 1yr date but in his office and not the hospital. He will see me every 6mnth indefinitely. He then hugged me and sent me on my way.
:loveshwr:

With this knowledge my treatment team has decided I can head back to work start of July if my employer agrees to conditions. Expecting to hear details in the next 1-2 weeks :yes!:

Then to remind me it’s still in charge DivaKnee has been a train wreck for the past 4 days.
Yes yes I know you are there..... geesh
:nah:

Fingers crossed the next update I have a date. This has been the longest 9mnths of my life.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks