PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Congratulations on your 43rd year! This day in time, it's an amazing feat. You were, and still are, beautiful!

We visited friends yesterday who have a two story house.

I did go up and down the stairs in their house 3 times. You enter on a lower level but the main area is on the second floor. There’s a handrail on both sides, and it’s not a really wide stairway, so that was very helpful.

I still did better going up using my cane and one hand rail, but I did it foot over foot every time. I tried no cane and both handrails going up but it wasn’t enough support. I really need my cane right next to me to lean on to get up to the next step.

Going down I was better with both handrails. Being “able” to go down foot over foot is a big milestone for me, even though I’m slow and still physically uncomfortable doing it.

The only real repercussion I have from yesterday was being really tired, I’m not used to stairs or low toilets, so that was more physical activity than I’m used to. Oh, and my friend and I took a short walk.

So, question:

For those of you who live in a one story house, how did you regain the ability to do stairs foot over foot when it’s rare that you have to?

I think you did very well yesterday. :yes!: :flwrysmile:

To practice stairs, I used to go to our local mall. I'd go up one flight of stairs and then back down again, several times. I bet someone wondered what this crazy lady was doing, going up and down stairs.:heehee:

Thanks, Celle!

The only place in our area that I can think of that has steps is my Chiropractor’s office, where there are 4 steps. It’s about a 15 minute drive away.

We have a Mall very close but it’s all one story.

I guess I’ll have to look for taller public buildings, there must be some!

It sounds like you did really well at your friend's house. Did you try sand walking? How about getting a little step stool that you can step up and down on repeated? You can hold on to something while doing that. I'm have only 6 steps coming into my house, so I didn't get much practice here. But, church has three floors, so I did get some workouts on those periodically. I still hold on tightly to the rails and probably always will.

Did you try sand walking?
No, the day was cool and breezy and my always cold husband didn’t want to go to the beach and find out it was colder and breezier on the beach, so we stayed at the house.

My neighborhood is 90% single story but most houses have at least 2 steps. During my first couple of weeks I kept forgetting the rule "down with the bad, up with the good". I kept getting it backwards, so I'm pretty used to it by now without aids. Plus when you walk in a neighborhood you'd be surprised how many times you go up and down a curb.

Plus when you walk in a neighborhood you'd be surprised how many times you go up and down a curb.
But that’s the thing, there aren’t any curbs in my neighborhood. The biggest thing to a hill is the steep slope of our driveways so the rain will drain off!

I do have 2 little steps here and there but no decent handrail by the steps.

As I said, I will really have to look for a public building with 2 stories. It just might do wonders for me.

Last edited:
Hi Jockett, that’s great that you’re able to do the stairs. Maybe if you can find a public school with an open arena you could practice with them. As for the EMG test, try to get it done for ease of mind. I know it’s been 2 years that you still have issues but if you don’t do it you’ll not know.

Because of my weak left knee I haven’t gone up or down stairs like an adult for at least 5 years. I often wonder if I ever will again. I walk and walk and walk, but those stairs...so I totally get it.

@Jockette , I would be glad to swap houses with you :heehee: I have 15 steps up from garage to living area and another 15 up to the bedrooms. Letme know when we can trade :eyebrows:

I can sometimes go up foot over foot, but I look ridiculous. And forget going down normally. Not happening. I am not ashamed to be 48 years old sliding down the stairs like a 2 year old :rofsign:

One issue I encountered recently was dealing with an escalator. I almost had a panic attack. I was so afraid I was going to do a face plant getting off. Elevators are my friend for a while longer.

@Jockette If you have 2 steps, could you manage them with 2 canes? Otherwise, could you get one of those steps like those they use in a fitness class so you could step on one side and off the other, again with 2 canes? That was the first thing they had me doing in hospital after I walked up and down the corridor. Alternatively, could someone make you a step or two from wood with an attached handrail? My husband made something like that once to help his sister.
@Irish471 I remember feeling very nervous the first time I took my new knee on an escalator!

One issue I encountered recently was dealing with an escalator. I almost had a panic attack.
I do agree! Thankfully since there are rare stairs in my life, escalators are even rarer! And thank you but I don’t think I’ll take you up on the offer of switching houses! :heehee:
Alternatively, could someone make you a step or two from wood with an attached handrail? My husband made something like that once to help his sister.
That was really nice he did that. It’s a good idea.

Well, it’s been 7 months since I’ve posted on my thread.

Some things are still the same, but some things have improved.

My kids were here this weekend and we went in the pool. My knee felt better in the pool today than it did last summer.

Last year I actually had to get out of the pool because my drama queen knee, at 15 months post op, did not like the movement of the water that 3 kids and their parents created.

Today it handled it much better.

I may hold the record of the longest recovery as I’m not to the finish line yet, but still inching towards it.

Some stairs foot over foot have been achievable if they are not too high and if I use either a hand rail or my cane or both. Yay me!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom