Anxiety and depression

barzeen

Country
United States United States
I've dealt with anxiety and depression bulk of my life. This pending knee replacement is taking it's toll. 2 bad knees, torn rotator cuff, right shoulder hurt during last fall and back.

I've always been active and very independent and obviously not so much lately. I have things I should be doing and I'm not... tears and fears are relentless. Only one more week before my surgery but some days I wonder if I can do this.. Like I have a choice.

I'm not alone but I feel so alone until I read some of the posts on here. I lost my mom two years ago, she was my best friend in so many ways. Took the bad fall four weeks later and down spiral since. One day at a time and maybe soon one step without pain. So very glad to have this site.

Hang in there. We will all get through this together. I check into the hospital in 10 hours from now. I am as nervous as can be also. You can do it.

Most people are anxious. I certainly was. Scared of the unknown. Things like will it go wrong, will it be ok, will I cope etc
Then its done and that begins your rehab journey. Its not easy but it gets easier much quicker than you expect for most people. We are all different but for most people there is so much benefit (otherwise no one would do it!!). Best wishes

The thought of the operation is much more scary than the actual operation itself. Put your trust in those that know what they are doing and you will be fine.
Afterwards it will take some time to recover so be patient.
My op was 1st Mar and whilst I am still very much in recovery things are definitely better now than before the op. Pre op I was on crutches and sometimes used a wheelchair, only actually being to walk a few paces. Last Friday, exactly 6 weeks since my ok, I walked without any aids for a mile. That certainly feels like success to me.
Hold on in there, through the ups and downs, and you will be fine.

@barzeen So sorry you are feeling down. It's tough going through life in pain. But the good news is life will look a whole lot better post TKR. The anxiety of waiting for the op is the worst part.

And no, you are not alone. We are all here for you cheering you on! Your own virtual fan club! Hang in there my friend! :friends:

I am right here with you and the anxiety. I literally went from climbing an extinct volcano one day to writhing in knee pain the next. I'm right now just trusting in my surgeon and working hard to make sure my future story is free of pain and as active as I want it to be! You are not alone!

I also lost a parent- my father- 2 years ago this month. His gentle yet firm support was always the backbone of my resilience- my ability to get up and go after life's failures and defeats. Oh, how I miss his unconditional love and support! But I know he would want me to pick myself up, brush off the dirt and get back to living life fully engaged.

I'll be thinking about you for the next week and beyond. I'm wishing you a healthy and happy recovery!

This is not an easy undertaking for sure and we all I think had some level of anxiety. I had total faith in my surgeon and medical team and that made a huge difference for me. Having that trust that he was going to take care of me made it easier. I could not go on with my knee in the condition it was in. Good luck to you!

thank you all for your support..one week the surgery will be behind me... just a lot more going on to ad to the stress... but i will try to focus on one thing at a time... and that is the knee...just tired on top of everything... doesn't help for sure.. i may very well be back warning going to be a long week!! haha..

thank you all for your support..one week the surgery will be behind me... just a lot more going on to ad to the stress... but i will try to focus on one thing at a time... and that is the knee...just tired on top of everything... doesn't help for sure.. i may very well be back warning going to be a long week!! haha..

I'm close to two weeks to go. I'll be watching for your posts ️

@barzeen I am at 14 hours post-op. All the fears and anxiety are gone. Everything went great. The nurses are all over the pain control. I know this is the easy part now and the challenges are coming soon. Make sure all your house prep work is done and you will do great.

You're not alone; you have all of us here!! :tada:

You'll get through it! Just take one day at a time! And some days, just take one HOUR at a time! :) :-) (:
Many of us have been through similar experiences. Anxiety, depression, etc.. Make sure you have someone to talk to and don't be afraid to tell your doctor how you are feeling, as well!

I think in some ways the waiting and not knowing totally what to expect is harder than the surgery day itself. But I was almost excited on the surgery day looking forward to my new knee. :walking: I found the pre-op staff very reassuring.
See you on the recovery side in a few days! :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks