TKR Zombies Love to Dance<

We're both celebrating 8 weeks :cheers: We're about equal on flexion but you have me beat on extension, hope everything continues to go well!

That's a great post Smokey. 6 weeks in was a big change for me too, but I'm glad I didn't have work to contend with. You're doing really well. It's a shame your PT isn't more supportive. I was told that as long as I did something every day that I needn't do all the exercises daily if it made the knee uncomfortable. I think we have to listen to our bodies and do what's appropriate.

It sounds like you probably got all you could out of PT. You know the exercises (if you choose to do them) otherwise it's just getting on with using the knee. I found as I healed I simply did more daily activities that required me to bend and I probably got an additional 2 degrees after finishing PT.

Finishing up with 1st full days at work. At a little over 8 weeks i am still plodding along. I seem ok in the morning but by mid afternoon the knee is swelling and stiff. I go home and elevate and ice after dinner and all through the night and then we start over again. I do have to say that it gets better day by day. I no longer need the walker or cane, I am off of the pain meds, just taking Tylenol here and there and getting back to work is good mentally and for the soul. My last post I indicated I quit P T, I have no regrets as I can’t imagine how swollen and stiff it would be working full time. My unoperated knee seems to be cooperating so I may hold off having that one done as I’m still utilizing a lot of energy on this knee. I don’t think my ROM has improved much but i’m Not worrying too much about it because i know it moves much better without all the swelling.

Getting back to being busy and reality helps me to not be obsessed about this knee. Went to a 2 1/2 hour play (Steel Magnolias) as a coworker of my daughters played a part. Aside from a little stiffness I did well getting up during intermission and walking helped.

All said and done all is well with my soul and knee! All you “new knee bees “take heart that it does get better. Follow your instincts and listen to your knees! :flwrysmile:

@maryo52 i agree about the stockings. Apart from the difficulty getting them off and on, I quite liked them. Helped me feel protected and looked quite good! Not using them now and the look isn't so good!

It sounds like you're doing well, great to hear. Getting back to our normal activities, whether it be work or something else can be a great healer. I still get aches, pains and swelling, probably more swelling now I'm on my feet more, but I feel so much better in myself for getting out and about and doing things. We have the whole family coming this weekend for my birthday. It will be tiring, but I'm looking forward to it. We're out to dinner Saturday so don't have to worry about cooking. Sunday's lunch is already made and in the freezer as we're taking the kids to the circus in the afternoon. Just need to make some gluten free brownies. Have a good weekend Smokey.

Have a champagne or two as well. You deserve it. You’ve been such a support and inspiration to many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Lindylee I swear you are my non related twin! My birthday is coming up on the 15th! My grandsons are also coming this weekend for the Circus! Sounds like a great weekend ahead for you. Like in my previous post i still get a lot of swelling in that knee I can hardly wait for that to stop! Another little tidbit is that my feet get hot! I have never had that issue before as I was the cold hands and feet but warm heart type of gal.

@Smokey253 That's spooky and weird - my husband's birthday is 15th April! You could be his twin, although you're younger than both of us. As for the feet, I think we've swapped- my right foot is really cold and not even the leg that was operated on. Enjoy your weekend and the circus. :cheers:

9 weeks post op and feeling down. The left knee is doing fine I feel it’s bending well and managing the swelling as needed. I do have these red spots that are itchy that pop up now and then. They are about quarter sized and only on the lateral side of the knee. They pop up and then go away somewhat and back again? I’m going to call my PCP and figure out what’s doing on dermatologaly. I must be a slow healer as I still have a couple of scabs and haven’t been able to have a good tub soak.

What’s got me down is the right knee, it’s gone from bad to worse. Back to using a cane to help take the weight off of that knee. It’s hard to do as I had used the other side while walking before the surgery and now I have to adjust to the opposite side. Haven’t quite got the hang of it yet. The pain has increased and my full days at work are getting more difficult each day. I broke down and called my OS today and we scheduled a presurgery consultation for May 10. The sooner the better. I wish I could have held out longer and maybe do it in November but the pain is telling me sooner. I am back to using my Quell tens unit and all the other creams, salves and any other voodoo chants if I think it will help.

I get immediately nauseous at the prospect of another recovery and immense guilt about another stretch of long term disability battles and feeling I am abandoning my coworkers. To top it all off we have another blizzard warning for the next couple of days that alone is depressing and these spring snow storms are the worse.

Well enough of this pity party of one and head to bed maybe a good nights sleep will have a better outlook.

I’m so sorry your other knee has gotten so bad so soon after this current surgery. I would dread doing it again, also. :console2:

I’m sure it’s hard to switch the cane to the other hand. I was just thinking about that the other day. My partial is on my left knee, and I am right handed, so it was very natural using my cane in my right hand. It would take a lot of concentration to use the cane in my left hand.

Please try not to feel you are letting your co workers down, it’s not like you’re just skipping off to the beach.

And a blizzard! :yikes: Hopefully this is the last one! :snow plough:

Aww Zommom, I do feel for you. The thought of having to go through it again so soon is tough, but you obviously can't carry on as you are and I'm sure your co-workers wouldn't want you to. Would it help to use 2 canes for a while until you get used to switching sides? I hope your appointment with the OS is constructive and you have better weather soon. :console2:

@Lindylee Thank you and I hope your hubby is also having a great birthday!

Happy Monday all! Reading my last few posts which were on the "I'm down and tired theme "I just wanted to let you know that the past few days have been pretty darn good. I usually will get a one good day and a couple of bad days but I've had 4 days of really good in a row! The change happened so fast - my LTKR decided it did not want to be hot, swollen or achy- and it no longer wants the ice machine on all night. occasional ice packs is enough for an hour or 2 a day. Forgot about taking Tylenol during the day but still take Tylenol PM at night. I was finally able to get into the hot tub (I still wrap up the knee as I have just a couple of small scabs) and it was glorious! My knee is bending easier I can tell by just walking and using the stairs. A couple of strange things is I can here a little click when I walk but no pain is associated with that; another oddity is that my leg will move on its own not fully but like small muscle spasms - most run down latterly on my calf down to my toes with that my foot will move and my toes kind of jump it's amusing but does not hurt. My knee looks like a knee again, so hopefully I have not jinxed myself but at about 10 weeks or so I can honestly say its doing what it needs to and happy to call it mine!

The other knee is being horrible but I am meeting with the OS on May 10th to schedule its surgery. I'm hoping for the end of May or the beginning of June in the meantime I will continue to use my Tens, EFLAC cream, CBD salve, ice pack and any other voodoo witch doctor cures I can find. I spent some time reviewing my pre op posts and realized what I thought was an eternity of waiting for it to be done it wasn't all that long.

Good to hear you are doing well, hopefully I won't be too far behind. You still can't tell I have a knee cap, it's still just round.

Zommom I'm glad to read that you are doing better. Isn't it strange how it's such and up and down thing we are going through?

I have the leg spasmy thing going as well. Sometimes, the other leg twitches a little, as if it's feeling left out. The twitching thing usually just happens in bed, or if I'm sitting for just a wee bit too long without bending my knee.

@FCBayern It happened overnight so it will for you i'm sure. You can't imagine how giddy and energetic I got my outlook improved I hope that happens to you soon your only a couple of days behind me.

@SnowHare So good to hear from you I hope all is well with you. My twitching (good name for it) is also when I lay or sit for a long period of time. I also had my first zinger! Scared my dog right out of my lap

Great to hear your new knee is doing well. Hopefully it won't be long until the other is just as good. I'll be interested to see how you fare. I'm still holding out!

This knee business is a rollercoaster for sure. I've hardly had any pain or swelling for a couple of weeks, went up to London to an exhibition and lunch for my husband's birthday, think I must have climbed up and down too many stairs and my knee is not a happy bunny now, so back on paracetemol and icing to get back on track again. You don't know if you don't try though, do you?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson