TKR Coming along<<

@pumpkin
I can go upstairs foot over foot without a problem but coming down is another story. I can not yet put all my weight on that bent knee without pain through my knee. I also noticed that my lower leg is a little more numb when compared to the non surgical lower leg. I'm wondering if that is do to internal swelling yet.
The church pew exercise is great, causes no pain whatsoever. The terminal knee extensions seem easy as well. I start work full time next week as my phase-in ended on Friday. I was hoping the stiffness would be gone by now but is still somewhat bothersome. I need to be on my feet for several hours throughout the work day but I also have plenty of time at my desk to elevate. Thanks

Last edited:
Going down stairs comfortably generally takes longer than up. My PT told me it is a whole different muscle process. Just keep trying a little bit at a time. Same with the exercise. What I did was start with a little bit (sort of under-doing ;) ) and see how that went. If it felt ok I might add 5 minutes the next time and do that level for a few times. then add a bit more. If the knee didn't like it, go back to the last increment.
By 5-6 months I was doing what I felt was a pretty normal level of exercise.

The stiffness should gradually diminish as you continue to heal.

@kneeper
What type of exercises did you do at 4 mos. I got some great suggestions from Pumpkin, just wondering what people do for gentle exercise at this point.

just wondering what people do for gentle exercise at this point.
I did none. I just used my knee in my daily living and would add a little bit more normal activities as the knee tolerated without pain or added swelling.

I did some walking either outside or on the treadmill and some time on the exercise bike. I also continued my stretches I learned in PT. Really it was just doing more of what I had already been doing.

Stairs. So when walking down a slope or downstairs foot over foot, I get a sharp pain on the right side of my knee. I dont experience it at any other time. Anyone else have trouble with pain going downstairs?

Last edited:
Going downstairs comfortably can take a long time.

Stairs. So when walking down a slope or downstairs foot over foot, I get a sharp pain on the right side of my knee.

That would be the outside of your knee, right? I experienced something similar and figured out it was a tight IT band and/or IT band tendinitis. Eventually resolved on its own, but you might want to try rolling the IT band to loosen it up.

@NavyGunns
Hello there. Actually the pain I get is on the right side of the knee cap. If I remember correctly I think the IT band runs along the right side of the knee and hooks under the kneecap...so maybe??

That’s why I suspect that might be the problem. My pain was a bit lower, but still same general area.

I have similar IT tightness and my PT rolls my quad each PT session. I will also start rolling it at home on my own as well....

I so want to go for a nice long walk in the sun but knee is exhausted after walking all day in work. Almost 5 mos PO, thought I'd be further along by now. I have the energy but knee not cooperative yet. I have to remember that I was not in good shape going into this surgery, my knee would often stiffen up and pain was an everyday occurrence. I am determined to get there. I could tell my quads still weak, I get a tired feeling in my leg. I do have good ROM, it's just not strong and much fullness or tightness in the knee yet. I will get there, maybe not as fast as some of you, but am determined.

Hi I am six months post op on 4/1 and I too cannot walk downstairs foot over foot. My OS said it takes awhile to get there and even though its not painful for me it just plain feels weird. Very mechanical. I don't notice my knee much anymore except for the stairs. And I too still get swelling if I do too much. I started doing the recumbent bike last week which was fine but on Saturday I added a day of shopping to that and swelling followed. Oh! well they still need TLC after a day of work as in your case and when we do too much we have to rest, elevate, and ice. It does get better though each day...

I had strength improvement in my second year post op.

@Elad1002, for what it’s worth, I didn’t really start getting into strengthening my legs until after 10 months. Legs were definitely weak and tired after my Mayan ruins / pyramid climbing expedition last week. For every month you were off recuperating, it will take twice as long to get strength back.

@schpooko
Sounds like you are doing well, I found bonesmart at about 5 weeks post OP, at which time I quit PT. I found a functional PT who only did massage, e-stim and helped assess where I was at each week. The tightness is a little maddening right now, I really hope it leaves soon . It increased since I've been working. I've come so far, but this is plain annoying. I did e-stim this morning which helped a little. I'm wondering if ultrasound therapy would help?
My nephew is getting married in June and I wanted to fly down to SC to attend the wedding with my husband but I have no idea how or if I will be able to manage. I am determined though.

@Elad1002 I went on college tours six weeks post op and I did whatever I could to make sure I could go. One thing I did was take it easy a week beforehand and my son rented a wheelchair for me to make the tour with because there was no way I would be able to do that much walking in one day at six weeks post op. I hear it in your reply the determination you have and I am sure you will do fine. Also, you have a few more weeks of recovery before you go. So more healing to do. I have read your thread and you seem to be a very determined woman. You'll do great and have a great time at that....

Ok so I'm going to to ask everyone, how long before that tightness and inflammation in knee subsided? I need to be able to look forward to that, it is driving me crazy. Feels so disabling.

Last edited:
Elad,
As much as you would like a definitive answer, the simple truth is that it is different from person to person and even knee to knee. With my first knee I was acutely aware of Everything. With the second one I basically take it all in stride. April 10th will be 6 months for my second knee. I still have stiffness and going down stairs leg over leg is mechanical (picture the Tin Man). However I have no pain to speak of. I hope that you see the progress you want soon but quite honestly it will happen when your knee is ready. No amount of worrying or questioning can make it faster. Hang in there, one day you will realize that you haven’t thought about your knee at all and it will instantly all be worth it.

@Larryhg3
Thank you so much for your kind post. I know I seek reassurance more often than some or even.most, it's my anxiety. Sounds like your recovery is going well. This surgery really threw me, I became more depressed than I have ever been in my life, it was awful. I am trying very very hard to stay positive.
Presently I'm on my feet quite a bit at work and worried that all the walking is increasing my inflammation. Some people say that walking improves their stiffness, it's confusing at best. I so want to get my life back, walk my dog around the block, go on a date with my husband. I might try walking my pup this weekend when I dont have to get up and work. I have much improvement in pain but much leg fatigue due to my return to work. Larry. wasnt it you that did the dry needling? I cant recall what you used it for exactly, I know I had considered it for pain at one point, dont know if it would help for inflammation. Thanks again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom