Under 30 days

One other benefit I found from the surgery besides loosing all that pain, was that I actually had more energy. At some point (maybe a couple months) after surgery I realized I actually had a little more pep. I hadn’t realized just how draining all that pain is. I never did have trouble sleeping but nearly every step hurt. I’m sure you’ll find you have more energy as well once you get healed. It is all good and it soon will be yours!!

I so hope you are right on energy, @GrannyC . While I have never been a terribly athletic person, I do enjoy hiking and being outside. It seems I have done nothing but sit for months. While not true, it still feels that way. And I know my weight is creeping up, without doctors weighing me in.... :walking:

For you regarding the fragility and fear pre-op on @59billy thread.

Please let me say..

You are going to be okay.
Remind yourself of the times in your past when you felt scared, anxious or simply overwhelmed or maybe some have experienced this level of pain. (I hadn't)

No matter how difficult things have been, You Have Survived!

Breathe...and trust that you can survive this too...the surgery and recovery!
Trust that your quality of life will improve quickly which meant more to me than just getting well!

Shout out to you @Fairydell and all April Rainbows.

Last edited:
Five days! But who is counting?? Seems the closer I get to D-Day, the more fragile I feel. It feels like my entire leg could go at any second. I get up and do walking just to rest my back from sitting/lounging but it isn't enjoyable.

I am the same. I am exhausted and fed up of being in pain and sitting around for too long. I think my bum will be a lot wider after all the sitting I have done lately...:heehee:

I'm seeing lots of people are getting trays for their walkers. In our pre op class, we were told we would need to "step through" our walker. I've been practicing with my walker and I am honestly wondering how you can step through with a tray. Did anyone else get these instructions for the walker?

:scratch:I can only imagine they are describing a step through gait...A gait in which the walker is advanced first and the legs are brought up to them or between them.
You can't step through the walker, can you?

The way it was said in my class was "step into". I've ordered a basket, and I suppose we shall see what I we shall see.

Right...In otherwords, step into it, don't push it in front of you.
I had a 2 wheeled so I had to pick it up and place it forward.
I guess with two weak legs, they didn't want it flying out and leaving me hanging.

Guess I'll find out but they did say step through, not into. We'll see.

In an online search Vimeo has a video on the following:
- Step Through Gait Pattern With Rolling Walker -
I posted it but it takes you away from this site so I had to delete it.
Check it out, there is such a thing as "step through" I believe it means something other than the way it sounds. You stand inside the walker. Then roll the walker forward with each step.
@SarahBee

Last edited:
@SarahBee Maybe they are referring to the sides of the walker and you are stepping through that opening and into the walker?? Who knows but I think you will do just fine. I didn’t get any instruction on how to use the walker but found it just worked ok using it. You’ll get a chance to test it out while you are still in the hospital and I’m sure they will correct you if you are doing it wrong. You may be overthinking :what: the whole thing which certainly can be very easy to do. :whistle:

I agree with GrannyC in that I don't recall receiving any instruction on how to use the walker. I just pushed the thing along like an old lady and it worked. I glommed on with a lot of pressure initially because I was afraid my leg wouldn't hold me up, lol.

After a few days you're more relaxed. Being back home in your own space helps you feel less pressured about everything. Plus...you have the BS forum to call on 24/7 for non-emergency situations / questions. Some one is usually always around to offer comfort or advice.

You guys have a squad! You're a team, a band of brothers. I'll bet you all do great! :yes!: :yay: :happydance:

The description of how we were to use our walkers would preclude the trays I have seen for my particular walker, at least in the beginning. As I said, we shall see. :)

I better need the walker! I've been practicing and I am soooo gooooood with it. Don't want to waste my walker skills.
:walking:

Well you definitely should decorate your walker... I mean one can be stylish while recuperating... for example I was told by OS to get compression socks... I went to store... boring white or black... unacceptable!!! So Amazon to the rescue-beautiful fun vibrant stripes! My veins will be
“ haute couture “ :). I’m ordering a turquoise cane.... my favorite color and my trademark shade in fashion.

:wave: How's your nerves?
I tried to crowd those jitters out with excitement for finally getting rid of that horrid hip pain!!
Hope today is a Good Day @SarahBee :SUNsmile:

Only one more day! It has been such a roller of emotions. What a great group of folks who have held my hand these last couple of months. Looking forward to putting this behind me and moving on. See y'all on the recovery side. Blessings and prayers for each of you. :loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member