THR pikesan's recovery thread

pikesan

Country
United States United States
I feel like I need to give back to this forum. The support and success stories I read here, especially younger or same age folks doing MORE activities than I wanted to do. Plus, I needed to change the page in my life. 8 years of pain was enough.

My surgery was on 2/4, today is 3/4. This is my second week back to work. I wanted to keep a video log of my recovery, but then I felt like I'd be jinxing myself. LOL. So I didn't.

At the hospital: I am a HUGE fan of Dr. Chow. Everything was done a particular way because, "that's the way Dr. Chow likes it." Wow - what a confidence booster. I stayed overnight because I had some trouble peeing. The next day, no problem and I left using a walker. Top form... lol

Week 1: My Mom came to stay with me and I posted up on the couch. Oxy, Tylenol and Celebrex (alergic to meloxicam) were my friends, along with baby aspirin and a host of anti-constipation stuff (needed). I set an alarm to walk about every hour. Just enough to get things moving. I felt cramps in my operative calf for a while and even called because I was afraid it was another DVT (clot) since I had one before. It passed. I slept like a baby and ate Mom's cooking and cookies!

Week 2: More of the same, but Mom had to leave. My 1 week follow-up went fine, I drove myself to the appointment. By then I had stopped the Oxy and I'm glad I did. While Dr. Chow urged me to take the pain meds to help with the moving around needed to stay healthy, I had had enough. After only 12 days taking the Oxy, I had what I think were some withdrawal symptoms. Cold sweats and feeling generally terrible. That passed. I had my first work meeting on the phone and started checking email and stuff. By the end of the week, I was using a crutch. I used that crutch walking into my first PT appointment. Erin at Center for Athletic Performance evaluated me and said if I could walk without it to go for it. That was the last time I used a crutch, but I walked SLOWLY and used it a couple times late at night.

Week 3: By my Monday PT appointment, I could feel myself getting better every day. The exercises and stretching pointed out how very WEAK I was in the joint, especially hip flexor (front of the leg up high). I've read that "no Physical Therapy is needed, just walking." I have to totally disagree with that and urge you to find another therapist. I feel like ALL of the exercises and stretching are helping and not causing any additional pain. It's all fatigue and it's all getting better by repeating the exercises as prescribed. Do the PT. Erin kinda laughed when I asked how my Dr. Chow recovery patients she'd seen. ALOT. That was great news to me!
By then end of week 3, I was walking very well, at least as good as I was before surgery. I was ready to go back to work on Monday. Before that, on Saturday, I ended up at a country bar standing, walking too much and even swaying to the music which felt great on my tired hip. No 2 stepping yet!

Week 4: Back to work after my Monday morning PT. (I'm going Mon and Fri). Great to see everyone and to see them surprised how well I'm getting along. I'm an engineer and work with alot of mechanical people. They know, HEY! You've got new things moving inside you and look at you! I'm very happy with my recovery and yea, I'll say it... Should have done this sooner. I sleep like a baby now (sleep time was my hip's favorite time to hurt) and I feel like my limp is all but gone - at times. More work yet, but it's only been a month! Saturday I started installing a stereo on my car. I think the contorted moves I had to do helped my hip! Sunday I felt amazing - best yet! So I finished the stereo and panted my garden. Yep - I'm back!

Week 5: I'm just getting started, but I feel great. Now's my time to get to work on my "life journey". I'm focusing on being grateful and appreciating the things and people in my life as much as possible. If you haven't heard of it, please check out Sam Harris's book, "Waking Up" about meditation and just plain being happy, I think. I'm all in.

Good luck to everyone! Thanks again for all the support!

Glad you've had such a great recovery..especially for one who seemed determined he might not go for it.
Glad to hear you are reclaiming your life.
Never want to stymie good news but all that activity seems way to much too soon, in my opinion.
I've read that "no Physical Therapy is needed, just walking." I have to totally disagree with that and urge you to find another therapist.
You read it here, as that is the Bonesmart way. I'm glad you felt your PT helped but who's to say it would not have done well without it?
There will be some who can dodge potential problems, I guess you have.
But many hippys have seen PT cause additional recovery time and problems.
Saturday I started installing a stereo on my car. I think the contorted moves I had to do helped my hip! Sunday I felt amazing - best yet! So I finished the stereo and panted my garden.
Only you know what you can do...but not a great idea for most recovering hippys.
Things are still healing and bonding.
Sometimes it's all good til it ain't.
I don't want others to feel this is a normal activity progression.
I am wishing you all the best!

What an encouraging update! If I recall correctly, you were planning on the superpath approach with Dr. Chow. Did you end up having that approach? It is really interesting how everyone responds differently to healing post surgery. Wow, back to work already too! Don't forget to take a few moments everyday to check in and listen to what that new hip is telling you - it needs rest sometimes.

The gratitude phase is truly amazing when all that pain finally subsides and you begin to feel like "yourself" again. Thanks for recommending that book, I'll have to check it out!

Glad you're doing well. Thanks for updating.
Please be careful not to over do....setting yourself back.
Your recovery has been pretty ambitious, I would hate to see you falter now.
Wishing you all the best going forward.
@pikesan

Quick update... I'm not even 2 months past my surgery. BOY am I impatient!
I started to feel like my healing was plateau-ing? Like it wasn't continuing to get better. I think it is... just not as quickly because there's not as much healing to do. Strength is still coming back, balance is pretty good now (I can put pants on w/o holding onto something! YAY!!) and flexibility is still improving. It's nice to put shoes and socks on w/o contortion!

As for the Physical therapy, I'm still going and plan to keep going. One thing I want to point out is... I don't do anything that causes PAIN. Discomfort, yes, but not pain. And there have been days where I did more and pushed it, and days where I wasn't feeling it and did less. My therapist was on board each time. Find the right therapist and discuss goals. I want to walk normally and feel the same balance and strength in both legs. I don't think I know how to get there on my own.

Any questions? I'm happy to answer. Shoot me a personal note or leave a reply.

Good luck!

@pikesan Sounds like you are doing very well in this recovery. Everyone has different needs during this process. You have obviously found a good balance.

Just a note - please keep the conversation on your thread and not via PMs. Input is often helpful to other members here.

@pikesan Lucky Lucky you to recover so quickly! Sadly not all of us can despite our best efforts but most of us get there in the end. Glad the physio is working for you and that you are sensible enough not to let it cause you pain… Doing a contortion to fix a car radio however will NOT be on my agenda :)

Great update, thanks for sharing. Finding a good match in a therapist is a blessing. It sounds as though you are respecting your limitations and taking it slow. There's still healing to happen and lots of room for improvement. Good job! Keep it up and stay in touch.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@pikesan

Last edited:
Happy Two Month Anniversary! (Belated)
Wondering how you're doing since we last heard from you...
Please leave an update next time you stop by. We'd love to read of your progress and it's inspirational
to those following behind you.
Wishing you a wonderful Spring!
@pikesan

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is