THR My journey as a 40 year old father

Prosthetics, plates and screws, oh my.
Getting old is not for sissies. You have to find the humor to keep from crying :bawl:
Haha! I can say that because I'm old enough to be your mother. You're still a young buck.
Take it slow this weekend and enjoy!
@skopg

At the start of day 1 yesterday I took my wrestler down to the floor to warm up. I walked over to the training area to grab a bag of ice while I waited for his match. In an amazing twist of fate the PA who works with my OS is working the event! He brought me over and gave me my own area for the day to lay down and ice in the down time. Day 1 is done now onto Day 2. My wrestler is in the finals wrestling for 1&2nd today. What a whirlwind of a month.

How awesome was that?!! Hopefully the PA saw to it that you got the rest you deserve and need.
With any luck your wrestler finished well.
I hope you're able to fit some chill time in at home before it's back to the jungle on Monday.
Safe travels home. Stay in touch.
@skopg

I made it home last night and my wrestle is a state champion.
I got a good night sleep last night and have no plans for the day today. With a lot of help from others around me this weekend wasn’t as bad as I was fearing, I woke up this more with minimal soreness and no pain.

@skopg Was that luck or what! How great that PA could help you out. That was probably the reason you just have soreness today and not mega pain. Hope you can get some much needed rest before starting again tomorrow!

I made it home last night and my wrestler is a state champion.
What a wonderful reward for your commitment and dedication. (I’m sure the wrestler did his/her bit too, lol). So pleased to read your post.

Take it easy today!

First place at state is a big deal!! How wonderful that you were able to be a part of that, and to also be able to rest and ice as time permitted. Moments like that with your wrestler are precious, and I'm sure the head coach was so appreciative (and disappointed that he missed it.) And don't forget.....there ARE some positives that come with being a little older (and wiser???) so I wouldn't immediately hire all twenty year olds to coach!:heehee:

Happy Sunday, @skopg
Congrats to your wrestler! What a great finish you were able to witness through helping out a colleague.
An awesome memory that neither you or the state champ will likely ever forget.
And you even slept well last night! :happydance: Sounds like you had a pretty good weekend overall.
I hope the coming week feels a little better than the last. :)

Just a quick update before I go workout a little.
Today is day 3 with no cane. I do carry it when I have to be in the halls for passing time. It gives the students a reminder to give me room.
My gate is slowly getting better, I was limping so long before surgery I’m having to reteach myself how to walk again. I try and focus on every step and take things at a slow pace. I still feel exhausted at the end of the school day but everyday is a little better then the day before. I hope everyone has an amazing day.

Hi @skopg
You're wise in carrying the cane in the hallways, it is a signal for people to steer clear.
It is recommended you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping, so please hang on to it until then.

It's understandable that you're still really tired at five weeks post op. Going back to work as soon as you did must feel exhausting. I hope you're able to put your feet up once you're off work for the day and not do much else but rest. It's good to hear you're taking it slow. It will pay off.
Wishing you a comfy relaxing evening!

:wave:Great update and happy to hear of things getting better and better.
That healing does sap our energy.
Stay well, you've got this!:yes!:

How do we celebrate 6 weeks post op in my family? With a lovely stomach bug being passed around. The thought of vomiting right now already sounds painful. (I’m a power puker)

Oh my stars...:flabber:
So sorry. Lots of that going on around here too.
:fingersx: you can dodge it.

I hope it goes quickly.:yes:

Last edited:
(I’m a power puker)

:heehee: Is it bad to laugh when you're talking about being sick :sick: I'm not laughing that your family is sick but "power puker" is pretty funny!

Stay away from everyone and wash, wash, wash your hands. Hopefully you don't catch it. :fingersx:
Keep us posted and have a good day!
@skopg

Hi there,
Checking in to make sure you're doing okay and survived the creeping crud moving through your family.
Leave us an update, would love to hear that you're well and noticing progress weekly.
A great weeknd to you!
@skopg

Everything is going great. My family is feeling much better. It will be nice once this cold Michigan weather leaves. I am now walking without a limp and pain. I still have swelling. In my upper quad and along the belt line. I’m walking 5-6 miles a day and getting back to a “normal” life. I know my limits and stay within them. I have a golf outing in May that I’m looking forward too. Hoping I’m able to play a couple holes.

Good news! It's nice to read your family is better. Crappy cold and flu season is finally on the decline it seems.
I hear you on the weather, Minnesota is similar I'm guessing. It's time for it to FEEL like Spring. I'm ready!

Wonderful that you're no longer dealing with pain or a limp. I would ice though if I were you. Do it if you have any chill time in the evening like during tv watching, or reading. Hopefully it will help with the lingering swelling.

A great Sunday and week to you! Thanks for the update.
@skopg

I am coming up on week 10. My activity level is great. I am still very careful about the things I am doing. I am still concerned about bruising and tenderness I have on the outside of my hip. I had ahr and the location of this has me puzzled. Any thoughts?

Hello @skopg - Is the bruising new, or has it been there all along?
I wonder if you would post a photo, so we can ask Josephine, our Nurse Director, to look at your bruising?
Here's how to do that:
Uploading a Picture in a Post

Extensive bruising after a joint replacement can happen quite frequently, but it probably should have started to fade by now.
Have a look at these examples:
Bruising after surgery

You have been relatively active for someone with a new hip. I'm not saying you overdid it, but perhaps your activity did increase the bleeding a bit.

Let's have a look at your photo, and then we'll be able to see if Josephine can suggest anything else.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie