BG on the other side!

bruce1984

Country
United States United States
Now PO Day 1:
All’s well so far. Happily, findings at surgery were better than expected. The rotator cuff was only “frayed” so it didn’t require much repair. The Type II SLAP Injury was repaired via tenodesis and reattaching of labrum to glenoid.

Went home post-op with fancy sling, cooling pad and ice water circulator pump for shoulder and lidocaine pump onto brachial plexus. Hand now back to normal after anesthesia block. Still numb around shoulder. Up and walking no problem. Pain controlled with lidocaine pump, ice water circulation and Tylenol so far.

Start PT Monday 3/18/2019. Not yet sure how long I’ll be in sling, probably 6 weeks to allow tenodesis time to heal, but not sure yet.

Also, there were some chunks of cartilage floating around in there that DR. K. though was likely the cause of my pain. Needless to say they were also removed.

Thanks for any interest, suggestions and/ or ideas.
Sincerely, BG

Bruce that's awesome news, glad the surgery went well. Keep up with the icing, I know that helped me alot for the first few days. Hope everything keeps heading in a good direction

@bruce1984 I moved your post op posts to a recovery thread for you. Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread so that we have your history in one place if we need to advise you.

Sounds like you are off to a good start! Much more patience needed for this recovery I am afraid. But you have some good company on this journey.

It’s always good to hear things inside were better than expected. And yes, any recovery on Bonesmart requires a lot of patience. I’ll be thinking of you.

My best advice is to follow your therapist's instructions as long as you are not experiencing any pain with any of the exercises. Things will be healing for the next 6 weeks and "gentle" is the important thing with your movements.

What was your guidance for exercise, movement restrictions, and sling-wearing when you were sent home?

Hello and thanks for the follow up and moving the thread to the proper place.
Now P.O. Day 2 and all’s still well. Using ice a lot and 1 gm. Tylenol Q6 Hrs. Also, the lidocaine drip onto my brachial plexus is still working. Negligible pain thus far.
Was sent home w instructions to start PT tomorrow. Looks like I’ll be in the sling for 3-4 weeks per the PT protocol I was given. I don’t think the rotator cuff required a lot of repair which simplifies my recovery. The biceps tenodesis done for the SLAP tear requires time to stabilize. So far so good, I’m grateful for that!
Many thanks for keeping up w me on this. I’ll let you know how PT goes tomorrow. I’m thinking it’ll only be some gentle passive movement.
Thanks again, Sincerely, BG

I'll be looking for your post about your therapy. Good luck!

Greetings, today is PO Day #3. The lidocaine drip ran out ~7AM and the catheter was removed without problem. Still no pain. Went to PT. Did passive ROM without discomfort or significant limitation. Wounds look good. Got instructions for pendulum swings and flexing rhomboids via bringing scapulae together. Back home now on ice. Doing better than expected at this point. Can’t think of anything else to say right now. Thanks for checking!
Sincerely, BG

Good news!!! It sounds like you're doing just fine. Sometimes "nothing much to report" is a very good thing. I hope your pain levels continue to be low.

PO Day #4 and all’s well. Doing exercises, no pain on Tylenol/Advil and less icing. PT again tomorrow. Out of sling a bit, being careful. Feels good! Thanks for checking!
Sincerely, BG

@bruce1984 Sounds like you are really doing well with this recovery. So glad there is very little pain to deal with. Easy does it out of that sling.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Hello again on PO Day # 5. Definitely taking it easy out of the sling! Doing nothing that causes any discomfort. Tried stopping pain meds last night. Slept 2 hrs. in regular bed last w pad under arm in sling, no ice or pillows to prop up my back and head. After 2 hrs. awoke w ache. Took Tylenol and changed to recliner. Pain quickly resolved. Went to PT this AM. Good passive ROMs without pain. He did a few things to gently fire the shoulder muscles which felt good. Bandage changed. Incisions look good. No bruising.
I think things are going well thus far. I think my ROM is good because I didn’t wait too long to intervene. My pain started in January. I got on it right away w imaging that lead to the diagnosis. Only delay was waiting 6 weeks to get on surgeon’s operative schedule!
Thanks for your interest and any suggestions!
Sincerely, BG

I certainly can't think of any suggestions because it seems things are going really well for you. You've got the right idea about taking things nice and slow and making small steps in recovery to see what works and what needs a little more time. I agree with you that early intervention in these problems can make a positive difference in recovery. Here's to warmer weather and more mobile shoulders!!

Greetings, 1 week postop now. All remains well. Taking it easy. Went to PT #3 this AM. Happily therapist is in agreement to proceed slowly. Surgeon called this AM to check on me. Wounds healing well. Follow up at surgeons office next Thurs. No pain on Tylenol alternating w Advil Q8 Hrs. Icing twice a day now. Being careful out of sling. Not much else to report for now.
Thanks for checking. Praying others in recovery are progressing well.
Sincerely, BG

I love great reports like this!!! Hooray for you and your shoulder.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too
Recent bookmarks