THR SuperPath and Hip Dysplasia

@Mersada

I had the Posterior approach (no choice with my surgeon)and was quite nervous before the op. Apart from an initial problem with pain management my recovery has been slow but sure. I had the spinal and mild sedative and didn’t hear a thing. Just woke up as being wheeled to recovery.

Six months on, apart from initial stiffness in the morning, the hip is ok and I am sleeping so much better than before and I am enjoying life again. . It is definitely worth all the pre op angst!

I hope it all goes well for you.

I had my 5th consultation today. I was feeling very comfortable with this doctor. He took his time explaining things to me. He does posterior with a small incision, he said. He said I would be out of the hospital the same day. He said he's done about 4,000 hips in his career. He said while mine was more complicated he's done about 200 hips like mine, the latest one being a couple of weeks ago. He said her hip was in worse condition than mine. He said I would still have a limp for a while and that would strengthen over time and get better and better, but my arthritis pain would be gone. He said if I was his sister, he would have done this surgery already. He said the only precautions I would have would be to sit in an elevated chair and have a raised toilet seat for a few weeks. He showed me the golfer's reach, in case I wanted to be more cautious...which I already knew about from this site. He was very confident, he could have me up and around and back to work in about 6 weeks he said...4 was also possible. He left it up to me as to when I would be ready to move forward. I still have to accumulate some more time from work, so that I could take off and still get paid.

Well, that's my update...I think I have had enough consultations. I am content with Dr. Macauley at NYU. Now, it's a matter of setting a date. So, no anterior, no super path...I have to settle for what they will do on me which is posterior. It's been a year of researching, and I think I have found my surgeon. I am still anxious about setting a date and the "what if's" still linger in my mind. I guess that's everyone.

:ok:Glad you have found an OS you have confidence in.
You know you have lots of folks rooting for you!:yes:

I had my 5th consultation today. I was feeling very comfortable with this doctor. He took his time explaining things to me. He does posterior with a small incision, he said. He said I would be out of the hospital the same day. He said he's done about 4,000 hips in his career. He said while mine was more complicated he's done about 200 hips like mine, the latest one being a couple of weeks ago. He said her hip was in worse condition than mine. He said I would still have a limp for a while and that would strengthen over time and get better and better, but my arthritis pain would be gone. He said if I was his sister, he would have done this surgery already. He said the only precautions I would have would be to sit in an elevated chair and have a raised toilet seat for a few weeks. He showed me the golfer's reach, in case I wanted to be more cautious...which I already knew about from this site. He was very confident, he could have me up and around and back to work in about 6 weeks he said...4 was also possible. He left it up to me as to when I would be ready to move forward. I still have to accumulate some more time from work, so that I could take off and still get paid.

Well, that's my update...I think I have had enough consultations. I am content with Dr. Macauley at NYU. Now, it's a matter of setting a date. So, no anterior, no super path...I have to settle for what they will do on me which is posterior. It's been a year of researching, and I think I have found my surgeon. I am still anxious about setting a date and the "what if's" still linger in my mind. I guess that's everyone.

NYU Langone? I’m having hip replacement surgery there April 3- also small incision posterior. My advice? Go for it!

NYU Langone? I’m having hip replacement surgery there April 3- also small incision posterior. My advice? Go for it!

Yes, I was at 38th st. location today. Good luck to you in April. I will have to wait a little bit, I don't have time accumulated from work.

Hi Mersada,
I'm happy to read you may have found your guy. It sounds like you're settling with this surgeon.
I know you understand that a Phased Return to work is recommended at 12 weeks. I understand that is not possible for everyone. It's probably best you have some more time banked in case you need it.

If you do return to work early, I would keep in mind that you will probably not have much energy to do anything once you get home each day besides eat and crash on the sofa with ice until bedtime. It will most likely take a lot out of you getting ready for work, getting there, working, then getting back home. You may, or may not feel exhausted initially. Obviously with healing and the passage of time you'll feel stronger and more energized.

I was anxious about setting a date also. One day I thought "ENOUGH" and I scheduled my surgery. I think you should consider the same and then work toward that goal. Keep in mind, if necessary, you can always cancel. I actually felt some relief in scheduling mine only because I knew it was inevitable and got tired of ruminating over "when" it may happen. Just something else to think about, lol. Like you don't have enough on your mind.

Hugs and best wishes for a great rest of the week!
@Mersada

Last edited:
Hi @Mersada ..... you replied on my thread but I figured I would come over to yours too. From what you wrote about Dr. Macauly, it all sounds very positive and he seems to have a lot of experience too. I totally agree with Layla that you should just go ahead and make a surgery date. It will give you something to move toward and if you are not ready when the date rolls around, you can just reschedule it. I am so happy that your appointment went well and Dr. Macauly sounds so personable.
PS I never heard of small incision posterior ...(did he say how small the incision would be)? My incisions are pretty long but I'm hoping that my left side heals like my right side is. The right scar is long (probably about 6 inches), but it is very thin and fading nicely.
Take it easy.....I'm sure it's comforting just knowing that you have made your first decision in finding the surgeon you want to use. :flwrysmile:

I never heard of it either, but that's what he said. 6 inches is not too bad.

As for returning back to work, I know 12 weeks is ideal...but, it will take me forever to accumulate that much time, then I will have to put off surgery for a while longer.

I guess time and my discomfort with this hip will dictate.

Have a great week!

.[/QUOTE] I may have to pass on the pt because if I can't pick them up I can't seclude them....and I probably won't be able to bend over to pick them up. Well, they say we don't need pt anyway, right.[/QUOTE]
@Mersada ...... you posted this on another thread and I wanted to tell you that you should at least try having a therapist come (at least one time) because I think you will be missing out on some helpful suggestions they can offer you that are specific to your needs (it is not just about exercising.... I didn't do much as far as exercise with my therapist, but we did practice my stairs and we walked outside when the weather was nice. If you are having trouble getting on to your bed or getting off your bed, they can offer suggestions and help and watch that you are doing it safely. Even your concerns about feeding the dogs, they will be able to "see" exactly what you're dealing with and may be able to help you with that too). You will probably also have a nurse visit at least 2 times (if you get staples the nurse will remove them or in my case, I just had a covering that he removed after 7 days). See how it goes and maybe for the first visit, you can have someone else home with you so you can see how the dogs react and go from there.

@Lea61 , I thank you for your advise. I guess I could see if one of my sisters can be home with me when the time comes. If that time ever comes...lol. I still have to accumulate more time from work.

Hope you are doing well.

Hi I am new on the forum, and not quite sure how the interface works, would it be possible for Swamphiker to say who is the OS and what part of the country they operate in?

I am new to the forum so not sure if I am addressing this to the right person, Mersada or SwampHiker, please excuse me. I would like to address it to SwampHiker, but am not sure how, but here goes:
First, I am amazed that you surgery has gone so well, congrats. i have a right hip THR (Direct Anterior approach) in 2015 which went ok but certainly not as well SwampHiker's SuperPath. It' s now looking that I will have to have the left hip done some time this year, and the SuperPath sounds amazing. I was a relatively fit 46 yr old and I was in hospital for 2 or 3 nights, and walking on two crutches for two weeks and one crutch for another week. Pillow between legs for a month, and certainly grabber for socks and stuff for at least 2 weeks from what I remembe, so I would be very interested in who did SwampHiker's superpath.

@bk1 , I am not sure where she got hers done, but the doctor I consulted with is in New York, specifically Brooklyn and Long Island, but he won't take that approach with me because of my dysplasia. You might want to go check out SwampHiker's thread and see if she has it there because she might not visit this thread.

Thought I drop by and say :hi: Mersada.
Wondering how things are going for you? I hope your pain hasn't increased.
I remember how draining it can be. With work...I'm sure you're pretty much spent by the time
you get home.

Wishing you comfort as you continue waiting for the optimal time to schedule surgery.
I hope you're able to find relief soon. Enjoy the weekend! :)
@Mersada

Hi @Layla ,
Thank you for dropping a hello. My pain comes and goes...some days are better than others.
I'm hanging in there. Not quite ready mentally or time wise to set a date.

I'm here on the boards lurking every day though. Learning something new always.

Hope you have a great weekend!!

:wave: Hi Mersada,
Wondering how you're doing and how are you feeling these days? Just want you to remind you we're here to support you through your journey. You're braver than me, by far. You've come out of the shadows to engage. I was only a lurker as I tried to gain the courage to schedule my surgery. I understand you have a plan in place, with goals to meet before scheduling a date. Just want to stay in touch...
I wish you comfort in the interim and hope you have a nice weekend! :wave:
@Mersada

hi @Layla , Thank you for checking in with me. I'm doing ok. Some days better than others. I signed up for disability insurance at work. The only thing is pre existing conditions you have to wait a year before they cover. Then I hope they cover this type of surgery...they say injury or illness. Don't know where thr fits but, I am trying prepare. Hopefully, I can hold off for a year, I don't know...but, a year can go by quickly. I have about 5 weeks of time saved up at work...not enough for recovery. I need to be able to pay my bills.

Other than that, I ordered some sweats and t-shirts for easy wear, a few house dresses for the first week. I have my raised toilet seat, gel ice packs, grabber, cane, walker tray...although, I haven't gotten the walker, yet. Trying to cover all the bases so, when I do set a date I will have everything I need. I have a recliner (electric) but, I am hoping it is high enough. My feet just hit the floor in the seat. The doctor said the only precautions he would give me is a raised toilet seat and a high chair...he didn't specify exactly how high. I got 8" bed raisers for my futon, I like sleeping on the futon in the living area because I like the tv on when I sleep. Hoping I don't have to sleep on the recliner, we shall see. Also, looking at the different type feeders for the dog that someone can fill for me and they will be ok for a bit. They also have the electric wee wee pad thingy that rolls up on a timer...debating on that..it's kind of pricey.

I haven't set a date but, I'm slowly preparing for the inevitable. I get scared when I read about complications others are having post surgery. Anything can go wrong...I sure would hate to be worse off then where I started.

Well, that's enough of my rambling. I lurk on the boards everyday in between playing scrabble on face book lol.

Have a great week!!

I am hoping all obstacles you have to deal with fall away...
Hope today is a good day @Mersada

Thanks for the update, Mersada. It's always nice to hear from you. You're slowly preparing, which may feel less overwhelming, I hope. Try to avoid reading about complications if you're able. I avoided those threads because I simply couldn't deal with it emotionally. The odds are in your favor that there won't be any problems so keep reminding yourself of that.
Stay in touch and enjoy the long holiday weekend!
@Mersada

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member