TKR 2 weeks post op pain and stiffness^

It's really just a matter of UK/US terminology.

I grew up in the UK and to me a walking stick is any one of these:
upload_2019-3-17_5-51-19.jpeg
or these:
aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_f61d11956a05b1ba96e25c4ba86f4ae6._.jpg

Normally used one at a time.

I believe that, in the US, these are referred to as "canes".
And of course I'm familiar with candy canes -
upload_2019-3-17_6-1-25.jpeg

To me, a cane is a thinner piece of wood, often bamboo, that you use in the garden, to support plants:
aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_3efc35d7c31dc1c9d11f07d2e54649ba._.jpg

Then there are hiking/trekking poles :
upload_2019-3-17_6-5-52.png

These are longer than walking sticks and are used in pairs.

In the UK, and in NZ where I live now, after joint replacements many of us only use a walker during our time in hospital. We come home with elbow crutches. We're shown how to use those while in hospital.
aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_6999e17b55d7fc561bfc203b0e5f1951._.jpg
aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_3cc6e4ec7031fb148ce573f54b7b3869._.jpg

They're used in pairs - Denny, maybe that's where you got the impression that we use two sticks?
As recovery progresses, many of us start to use only one, and then progress to using a walking stick/cane, before finally walking without any aid.

I've had fun finding all the images. I hope they've helped to clarify matters.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-17_6-0-48.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-17_6-0-48.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 165
I started with a walker on day of surgery, changed to 2 sticks/canes 2 days later and down to one on third and final day post op in hospital. I brought 2 home to use until confidence grew, using mainly one indoors and 2 out. Now down to none indoors and one out if walking longer than 10 minutes. I haven't had a problem with sticks, but was never offered crutches.

How are you getting on with them now?

I had sticks with first TKR and got elbow crutches with second one. Far prefer the crutches, they give you lots more stability.

Thanks guys!

I’m getting used to the sticks however must say I’m managing one better than two.

I’m just 3 weeks post op and finding after physio I’m getting a lot of pain. Physio has me doing 10 exercise sets 3 x day.

Due to the bone loss I suffered with osteoarthritis. I also had a cemented LCS DePuy total knee replacement. Has anyone had anything similar and what expected recovery time is?

My employer has been on the phone asking when I'll be back to work?? My job involves a lot of driving and walking.

Thanks guys your comments are hugely appreciated!

@pepsicola
Your employer sounds very insensitive. I doubt you would be covered by your insurance if you intend to drive in the near future.
My OS insists on waiting for 6 weeks before you drive. If I don't have his blessings then I definitely won't be covered by my car insurance.

Thanks Bionic! Yes I kind of thought that too. I work for a medical device company and huge part of my day is driving and walking round hospitals and meetings.
I will take the advice of my GP and surgeon

Another quick question - is it normal to feel your new knee clunk and move? I guess because this is a rotational knee I will feel some kind of movement, been moving and making noises a lot today.

Yes Lilli, me too! This is my first TKR and hope it’s my only one but did feel much more stable on crutches.

Lindylee, getting on much better now and finding I can get around much easier on one rather than two. I haven’t had the courage to do much walking outside but that’s the plan for this week

It's much easier with just one stick used in the hand opposite the new knee. When I no longer needed one I actually missed it. It gave such a clear signal to others not to crowd me or push me in public places. Also handy for tripping up rude kids or prodding people who annoyed me - no just kidding!

[emoji23][emoji23] yes I kinda feel the same too! I have two lovely cocker spaniels and the crutches and sticks have come in handy for protecting my new knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aw [emoji190] my girls are very lively. They're not scared, just sometimes want to jump up and I use my stick in front of my leg to stop them making contact. Sorry if I sounded like I use my crutches on them!

I used 2 sticks outside at first, mainly because our pavements are quite uneven. I started walking outside about 100 yards there and back, gradually extending the distance. A friend said he used lamp posts, adding one lamp post each day.

That’s a great idea! I have been reading through many posts tonight as I find my pain really does worsen at night. Today I have moved quite freely and been pain free but tonight again I’m in a lot of pain and very stiff.

I found it seemed to build up by the end of the day too. Maybe it's the cumulative effect of what we've been doing all day?

Yes I think your right. Reading through all the fab info that’s available here and comments made, it’s definitely a case of less is more and not to push yourself too hard.

I can walk without the aid of a stick but feel that my knee is a little unstable due to the strength of the muscles around the knee. I try to do physio from that perspective but again perhaps too much.

@pepsicola im 9 days PO I was having alot of pain after my PT. After talking to people on here they said if bad pain were doing too much. I feel better doing the exercises myself. Don't let the therapist work you to hard. They work for you. Your ok no charge. My job called also this week. I stand all day and walk told them my PO appt is April 8 will let them know after that. I learned to take pain meds about 30 mins before going to sleep that helps some. Hope you sleep tonight.

@julie1968 thanks Julie! Yes i totally agree, I have been doing these exercises at home on my own and have felt great today. Was around 7pm tonight my knee started to stiffen and pain.

Have taken more pain meds and hope I sleep too. Night time is always my worst time.

I’m just 3 weeks post op and finding after physio I’m getting a lot of pain. Physio has me doing 10 exercise sets 3 x day.
I am going to tag @Josephine
our forum administrator and nurse director to address your concerns.

Another quick question...is it normal to feel your new knee clunk and move? I guess because this is a rotational knee I will feel some kind of movement, been moving and making noises a lot today.
Here’s an article from our library about this:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/clicking-clunking-knee-joint-after-surgery.13534/

And here’s the whole library index of articles. Lots of great information in our library!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/library-index.14830/

@Jockette thanks so much! Sometimes the clicking is associated with pain right in the centre of my patella but I have been putting it down to everything settling down post surgery.

After 9 years, I can still make my right knee clunk on demand! But usually only when I'm trying to kick my duvet into place during the night! Never otherwise.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back