THR Leahs Sloooww but steady recovery

I am trying to figure out how much is my stem and how much is the sciatica.
My bad hip was incorrectly diagnosed as spinal issues for years. To confirm sciatica you would need an MRI.
Did the chiro injure you and cause the spinal surgery?
No, just aggravated the existing problem to the point I had no option but surgery. Chiro is just too harsh for my spine. Osteopathy is very much like chiropractic except it is slow and more gentle. None of the jarring or cracking.

Would the MRI specifically say sciatica? I have had one that says I have degenerative discs, bulging discs, facet arthropathy and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

Would the mri specifically say Sciatica?
Not sure but mine showed nerves tethered above where I have spondylolisthesis. And yes, all that you are describing present in your spinal I have as well. Truly a mess!

Sciatica is not a condition, it's the result of problems in the spine. Problems like this
degenerative discs, bulging discs, facet arthropathy and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis

I must say the sciatica I had before down the back felt nothing like this. I got a steroid shot for it and it was the shot with the best results, compared to my hip and knee shots. I have a lot of issues with my SI joint staying in place, I am sure it is out of place now. I have given up getting it to stay aligned.

I have a question about exercises. I know this site supports the theory you don't need to exercise the hip to heal. What if I am 15 weeks post op and still limping. Not from pain but from muscle weakness. I limped a little from pain pre op but this is worse and different. I can't do stairs normally. I get exhausted walking very easily and part of it is because it takes so much effort to move those muscles and I have to concentrate to walk correctly. I miss my walks for exercise and I didn't expect to have a limp this long or forever. Surgeon thinks it may be from my scfe pins I had for 40 yrs that changed my muscle anatomy. They adapted and now that the hip is corrected they are weak. I am wondering if it was the big posterior incision, 50 staples and 11 inches long. Anyhow my question is in my case are exercises more necessary? I quit when I was having end of stem pain and have been scared to try again. Pain has been better so now wondering if I should start exercises again to strengthen my weak muscles.

@Layla Hi can I get a tools tab so I can change my post title. Thank you.

Hi Leah,
I hope you're having a good day.
If you're talking about changing your thread title - Leahs Sloooww but steady recovery
to a different title, you can either leave the new thread title here and a Mod will change it for you,
or follow these instructions - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/changing-your-thread-title.26369/
I hope this helps.
Have a nice weekend!
@Leahdp

Hi @Leahdp :hi:
Let us know what you want your new thread title to be and we will change it for you.

Regarding PT, with things being somewhat uncertain...I would be afraid to venture what would be helpful vs harmful.
What does your OS think?
I think just walking is going to be what our general Bonesmart consensus is.
You said you were going to hang tight until May,,,I would probably not want to add stress to that leg until I knew that there was improvement of some sort.

I hate that you are in limbo....but I am wishing you all the best:loveshwr:

Last edited:
Leah, I'm in agreement with, Mojo, regarding exercise. I don't think I'd want to add that type of activity until I was sure of what I was dealing with, given the uncertainty of your situation. IF you are dealing with a loose stem I'd be afraid of what may result with the increased activity.

It is advised that you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping.
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

I'm sorry for all yours going through. Just know we're here for you.
@Leahdp

Thanks ladies. I am one of those people that doesn't have that button. I read where I was supposed to tag an admin. I was thinking Layla was an admin but I see you/she is a forum advisor, is that different? Anyhow I will leave my title I just wanted help and you ladies offered it. I was thinking that about exercises too. I guess I feel guilty when people ask if I am doing my exercises when I talk about my limp. My OS gave me a few ideas on how to exercise those muscles but I was in a lot of pain at the time and it was a bigger issue than my limp. He said to do the side leg lifts while standing and pushing my leg against a wall for resistance.

I guess I feel guilty when people ask if I am doing my exercises when I talk about my limp.
I think you are trying hard to be a good patient...so nothing for you to feel guilty for.
Do let us know if you decide you want a thread title change. You can tag any of the staff...Forum advisors or mods...we can get it to the proper folks!
I know it is hard to feel like You should be doing something more...we've all had to hurry up and wait at times!:sigh:

Wonderful news, Leah! I'm happy to read this. May it long continue.
Please keep us posted.
Wishing you a wonderful Thursday. :)
@Leahdp

Hi Leah,
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary. I hope it's happy.
With any luck you're able to add another 7 days to the 12 pain free days you reported a week ago.
Let us know how you're doing. We care.
A great rest of the week to you!
@Leahdp

Thank you Layla. Yes it has been 19 days since my last thigh pain. I am very happy. I am considering going to the gym to work on my weak muscles making me limp. Nothing.crazy, maybe the elliptical. They also have water massage chairs and that sounds glorious.

Please take it slow if you go, I'd hate to see you suffer a set-back. If anything hurts, stop.
Nineteen days is wonderful. I'm happy for you! :happydance:
@Leahdp

Trust me I will. My husband joined and can bring anyone with him so gonna go check it out and do a few minutes to see how it feels. Thank you!

I went to the gym both sat and today. I did a few weight machines, the treadmill and the recumbent bike. I am sore but muscle sore. I'm so happy I was a able to do so much.

Hello Leah,
Well good for you on your trip to the gym. Consider icing preventively after the activity if you aren't already.
Hopefully you continue on this path, things are looking up!
Wishing you a wonderful week. :)
@Leahdp

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie