THR Hi All... Right side done today

Hey Layla, Mojo, SurreyGirl And All..!

Thanks...!

Yeah... Guess don’t know you’re overdoing it till you overdue it..

So I was walking about up and down the steps left left left right right right style then I saw a lil buggy trying to sneak through my front door as I was saying goodnight to the world and did a lil bending move that you not suppose to do...

Felt that one... Think I was getting bit overly ambitious with the walking and stair climbing so starting feel it a little...

So I’ve made for time being a couple packs of the Jolly Green Giant Frozen Sweet Peas part of the Wardrobe..!!

You know what I’m talking about..!

Just stick them in the side of pants and off you go..!

Yeah SurreyGirl... Patience is definitely something you got to get used to...

Tone the whole thing down a lil bit...!

Wow..!

All of a sudden you realize this more than a few week deal and you gotta change the way you’re thinking to go with the old flow...

Anyway when I was up in Florida during December before I realized I really need to do the op I tried to play golf a few times and just had to give up cause it hurt so much so I just left my golf clubs in Florida...

So I’ve been buying new clubs for PR... Easier to do anyway.. Have a set in both places... Getting all excited but it gonna be a while...

But I got a 6 x 12 putting green type deal I’m going to put on my balcony...

So that’s gonna be my golfing activity for 3 to 4 months... Oh Boy..!! I hope it’s only 3 - 4.. That may be optimistic...

I’m wondering though... So 3 and half weeks since the op and I can’t lift my right leg up when lying flat hardly at all...

How bout all you... How long before you could lift your op side leg at least a few inches..??

Thanks..!!

How long before you could lift your op side leg at least a few inches..??
It all depends on how long you limped around pre-op. Muscle atrophy pre-op and it can take awhile to get the flexibility back. But I do remember one day it was impossible and when I tried again a few days later it was easy. Just give it time - still early days for you.

Hey Layla, Mojo, SurreyGirl And All..!

I’m wondering though... So 3 and half weeks since the op and I can’t lift my right leg up when lying flat hardly at all...

How bout all you... How long before you could lift your op side leg at least a few inches..??

Thanks..!!

Physios love to try to get you to do that! DONT! Not for a while - you could pull some muscles you don't want to..and set yourself back. I too did a move forward without thinking and bent over to pick something up. I was in a recovery home at the time and my screech had the staff running in! The muscle was stretched a bit but no real damage done apart from to my pride and the muscle took a few weeks to get back to where it was. 3-6 weeks out you do have to be careful seriously!

Wow...!!

So before I realized I needed the hip op I was searching for ways to walk that would put less pressure on my knees and hips to help alleviate the pain...

So I found this idea of walking toes (balls of feet) to heel instead of heels to toe that supposedly takes the impact of each step off your knees and hips and transfers the impact of each step to your leg muscles rather than to your knees and hips...

And I found it really did work for me...

This may be something that could help everyone no matter your condition...

So here are a couple links to this idea...

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/walking-technique/

Thanks Jaycey for your ideas about this..!

Hey SurreyGirl..

I can't even do it.. So I guess I nothing to worry about...

Although I guess at some point.. We got to GIVE IT A TRY..!!

Hi Jonny,
It's good to hear from you, thanks for updating. Sorry you overdid it a bit. It can be difficult to balance it all out in the beginning. Trial and error sometimes, as you've realized.
Jaycey gave a good explanation regarding your question about lifting your leg while lying flat.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. It will get easier with time.
Enjoy your mini putting green until you can get out on the course.
Have a great weekend! :SUNsmile:

Thanks Layla...

Have a great weekend too..!

There is a lovely phenomenon experienced by many new hippys affectionately known as "log leg"
One of mine hung on to this notion a bit longer than the other.
Engaged fine when walking...not so much when asked to pick up...or get in car etc. Had to be manually moved.
Seemed like my brain couldn't will it to move.
Don't know if that is how yours feels, but lots of healing still happening. Hopefully this will resolve soon.
Guess you'll be seeing your OS at some point soon?

Hi @JonnyNight :wave:
Interesting video. Thanks for sharing.
A Belated Happy One Month Anniversary to you!
I hope you've had a great week and are noticing progress.
Tell us something good....
Wishing you a lovely weekend!

Hi Mojo and Layla...!

Ha... Yeah I had been dragging that log around for a few months before I realized I needed the op...

When I saw the MRI of my right hip I was shocked...

It looked like the far side of the moon... Craters on top of Craters... And the left side was nice and smooth...

And Thanks Layla for the Anniversary Wish..!

Yeah the walking toe to heal idea is interesting...

I definitely feeling some overall strength coming back...

Still get that lil pain going on which I know will be around for awhile..

I ran out of the Percaset but luckily I remembered I had a prescription for tramadol which I forgot about..

So I been ordering all these golf clubs..!! Way more than I need... But once you get started... It’s like Ok that’s the one... But you have to have fun sometime... Right..!

You see that commercial on TV where the lady is ordering like about 30 cameras or something like that...

Ad for some drug for highs and lows.. Then after she takes the drug she starts sending them all back... Ha..

I think I keeping the clubs though...

One thing...

I would encourage anyone to look into getting the hip replacement done in the anterior mode if they can find a doc to do it..

A little hard in PR to have it done that way... A lot surgeons in Florida who do it...

The doc who did mine did a great job in the posterior way that most get it done... But it just takes about 3 times as long to heal if not more.. And virtually no muscle trauma in anterior style...

But I coming along..!

So Layla... You’re totally healed with no problems from your op... Right...?

Talk to you later..!

Hi Jonny,
Glad to hear you're doing well even if you've turned into a compulsive shopper, lol.
I'm sure you'll be putting the new clubs to good use soon. I'll bet you're itching to get out on the course.

Yes, I'm healed up, thanks for asking. I don't have the ROM as I did before OA set in but it's a small price to pay to be rid of the pain. My surgeon's PA has reminded me that they can't match our natural hip so I'm not complaining. I'll take it! I'll take it! :happydance:
I hope you have a lovely week in sunny Puerto Rico :SUNsmile:
@JonnyNight

I have most of my Rom back after 7 months Posterior approach and am back sailing which I was doubtful about earlier. Much more movement now than two years preceding the op. Still getting stiffness if I sit down for too long but so much better month by month. I still ice after work and excersise as the scar stings a bit and the muscles ache but icing sorts it out... Hardly any need for painkillers now but I remember I was on the strong stuff up to six weeks after the op cutting back gradually.

Early days for you yet!

Hi Layla and SurreyGirl...

Yeah... Compulsive the KeY Word there...!

Fill up That CaRt..!!

I do wish I was playin already..

True... True...

I been reading these things too about people playing 3 weeks after Anterior mode...

What can you do.. Right..!

I had to look that up... ROM... ha...

Glad you’re good..!

Yeah... I didn’t realize that after op you wouldn’t get that all back...

But like you say... Time to be HaPPY..!!

I'm sure many do get their full range of motion back. Hopefully you will, Jonny.
I'm certainly not complaining though because it's minimal and I never expected perfection. Not in this life anyway, lol.
Actually though aren't we supposed to be kind of bionic with these fake joints, like gaining the ability to wrap our ankle around our neck post op :rotfl:

Have a great rest of the week and try to not burn up the credit card on more clubs.
@JonnyNight

Hi Layla...

Oh...! Had to get one more club tonight..!

You know... Those eBay auctions can be addictive..!!

All for a good cause...!

Wrap around joints... I like...!

Have a good one too..!

The doc who did mine did a great job in the posterior way that most get it done... But it just takes about 3 times as long to heal if not more..
Not true! Posterior does not take any longer to heal than any other approach. It's all about the surgeon's skill and how the patient reacts to the procedure. It's also about how long you may have limped around pre-op.

Hey Jayce...

Everything I read says healing time is faster..!

Isn’t there more cutting of muscles through posterior approach..??

Everything I read says it is faster... Would like to read on forum from those with anterior op..

All I can go by is people who golf... Those who had anterior are golfing again 3 weeks after op...

This is from golf forum site golfwrx.com

That would have been totally impossible for me..

Was told 3 months by my doc and by how I feel that seems about right... Maybe even longer...

Last edited:
So anyway...!!

I have a leg alert..!!

As many of you said one day you wake up and you can lift your leg while on your back..!!

That day came this morning..!!

Yesterday 2 inches... Today 2 feet and more..!!:wave:

Isn’t there more cutting of muscles through posterior approach..??
There is no cutting of muscles with either approach. Your doc may have estimated 3 months recovery time but no one can predict how a patient will react to major surgery. Each and every recovery is different.
Those who had anterior are golfing again 3 weeks after op...
As with any "forum" - this represents a very small percentage of patient who had anterior.

It's great you feel you are recovering fast. You are one of the lucky ones! Unfortunately not every new hippie has the same experience no matter what approach is used.

I think it is true that anterior’s recover faster..!

Is this just a myth then..?

The docs who do anterior claim recovery time is faster... So they’re just saying that when it’s not true..?

I don’t think I’m recovering any faster than anyone else.. Yeah after a month and a half after the op I can lift my leg but I don’t think this is unusual... But it still hurts like heck...

Where is the Truth Squad when we need them..!!

OMG..!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks