TKR Trailer's Abused Knee Repaired

Trailers

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ok so having found this site when looking for what to expect at 6 weeks after TKR I’m probably a bit tardy in starting a recovery log but hey ho nothing ventured…..

My knees had been abused in earlier years by too much squash, football and skiing and carrying too much weight while doing those things and they were flagged for replacement in my 40s during first arthroscopy. I had to wean myself off squash and the football and accepted that my future lay with doing more cycling and walking and toning down my unfulfilled downhill ski aspirations!

Had another arthroscopy two years ago which solved an issue but it was only a question of time as right knee was splaying out and gait, which had been unnatural for a good while, was markedly off. I wasn’t getting a lot of pain and was exercising regularly, walking, static bike and rower in regular use. Long distance walking trips however became impossible and knee pain would wake me up when I moved in bed.

Saw a surgeon privately who was recommend by my physiotherapist and his advice was that if I left it any longer because of the increasing deformity, that down the road it would be a much more difficult operation with less chance of success . No brainer then but I baulked at the cost to have it done privately and signed up for an NHS job.

Wait was only about 3 months, could have had it done a month earlier but specific protocol at this NHS Trust ruled out an op till 6 weeks after long haul flight and trip to Canaries in November was deemed long haul (4 hrs) so was booked in for 12th of January 2019.

Surgery according to reports went well with no surprises and affirmation that it was very much required.

From admission to discharge was 59 hours. 24 hours earlier than planned which suited me. Seemed to me that the discharge criteria was down to whether I could manage stairs with crutches. Disappointingly no physiotherapy post op was available from this NHS Trust.

Probably don’t need to record that the first two weeks were grim. Night time being the worst. Needed all the painkilling drugs that were programmed. Seemed to get as much relief from icing sessions as I did from the drugs on some occasions.

A nurse told me before I left the hospital “only 15 minutes icing three times a day”! Not sure what that advice was based on but it was ignored. Now at 6 weeks I am still icing regularly. Note to self - mustn’t consume those peas when this is all done!

Did my exercises at least once a day building to three times a day by end of second week.

I enjoy my morning shower and made a good purchase in full leg cover from Amazon. Allowed me to stay in the shower longer and exercise the leg swapping weight from side to side. Clips out 13 days after op. Thought this would give more movement than it did.

Toyed with my static bike in week 2 with seat very high, backward and forward peddling till discomfort but even sat well back in the saddle no rotation was possible . Eventually that week I got rotation and once it started moving it seemed OK. Paid for it that night though! Went back to the bike after a day off and have pretty much used it every day since moving the saddle position downwards as knee warms up and then back up again.

BTW I have read not to put any resistance setting on the exercise bike but I do think you need a very small resistance for a more comfortable motion.

Saw private physio 14 days after op. He was very enthusiastic but as he had recommended the surgeon I went to. Different practice the following week (week 3) to get a different perspective. He too was amazed at progress. Encouraged me to massage the knee cap and surrounding area and to oil the scar and we stopped all the extension exercises with the exception of a new one, lying supine and pushing down into the base with hold and the moving straight up to holding still tensed leg up 20cms off base with hold. Retained foot slide and added bending down to sit on a chair without actually sitting on it.

Moved out of the marital bed on the second night home and went back in week 5. I had enough problems without coping with her snoring!! (There would be a smiley face here if I knew how to insert it!)

Was driving at 14 days but just down for the daily shop and by then I didn’t need the crutches for walking but kept one around downstairs and one upstairs for leverage and that steadying/ confidence requirement on getting out of chair/bed.

Took full meds till middle of week 5 then started missing some. Not out of conscious plan just didn’t feel the need to be topped up. Codeine went first to go but took paracetamol and ibuprofen as and when during the day and always a paracetamol before sleep, which I’m still doing middle of week 6.

Haven’t worn the DVT stocking since the clips came out. (Not a badge as to my approach to risk, more a fashion statement!)

So on review can’t give accurate ROM as not really come across measuring it till I reached this site but reckon with a high saddle you need probably 93 to get rotation and visually I probably get to about 120 on the lowest seat position that I have as yet, managed comfortably.

On a physio padded bench I’d say the leg gets straight but sitting in a sauna on planks its not as flat as the good leg !

Stairs going up are now pretty normal . Coming down is nearly normal in the mornings, less so at the end of the day. Still like to hold a handrail. I’m now using the wife’s electric assist road bike to go downhill for the shopping as from last week. Hill coming back would be too much to manage on my touring bike yet

Knee is swollen still and feels tight and aches if I sit too long without elevation. Sensation in the skin on the right of knee cap is poor.

From discharge to beginning of week 6 there were inexplicable good days and worse days. This week, touch wood, everything seems less variable.

I have reduced amount of large intestine so constipation is pretty much unknown to my constitution. However despite the warnings about codeine I got caught out. If you’re taking codeine take a laxative!

On that note I’ll finish my six week saga and if anyone actually got to this point, they’re probably thinking a laxative must have got to work on the keyboard!

Wow you're doing great! Thank you for sharing. I hope Im walking down stairs normally at 6 weeks! Isn't the stationary bike helpful! Im so happy I have one at home. I have a hard time with the extension on a hard surface as well so i started putting a small core disc under the heel of my surgical leg which is helping me get better straightening on hard surfaces.

Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart!

Your recovery is coming along well.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only
ONE Recovery Thread.
This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Congratulations on your journey so far! I have my first TKR the 6th. I found other's progress interesting and encouraging also! I am ready to face whatever is coming with confidence. And I hope it doesn't end up stressful.

Wow, you have wonderful range of motion. I hope the bike riding is comfortable enough for your new knee. You're way ahead of where I was at 6 weeks. The numbness you mentioned on the side of your knee is quite normal and you will gradually feel more sensation there. Even though you're progressing so well, I would continue to ice and elevate your knee whenever you can, especially after strenuous activity or even less than strenuous normal activity. You have a good sense of humour; that always helps. to get the "emojis", just click on the yellow happy face emoji and it will take you to a variety of options. :doggie:

@Trailers -great post and i laughed at your pic for your post -boy on the skateboard.:rotfl:
Your doing really well ...the first 4-5weeks suck sleepwise, but slowly it starts to get better.
Wow stairs already...i was a slow one at those, but amazed by still each week how something that caused pain gets easier.
Often walk around with a smile on my face when i realise I've accomplished something with ease.:heehee:
Did my first group ride today -30km with inclines ...walked a couple sharp ones towards the end. Iced for 40mins afterwards as precaution. But focus is walking in prep.
Ice was my best friend for several months...soothing:ice:

It was an exciting day when I learned where those emojis were, also! :wowspring:I find this one especially mesmerizing.

A nurse told me before I left the hospital “only 15 minutes icing three times a day”! Not sure what that advice was based on but it was ignored.
Good for you!
BTW I have read not to put any resistance setting on the exercise bike but I do think you need a very small resistance for a more comfortable motion.
That's okay at around 6-8 weeks but not before.
Haven’t worn the DVT stocking since the clips came out.
I never wore them at all! Hateful things!
Knee is swollen still and feels tight and aches if I sit too long without elevation. Sensation in the skin on the right of knee cap is poor.
That's normal. Read these
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?
If you’re taking codeine take a laxative!
No, no, no! Never take laxatives! Take stool softeners instead. Much kinder on the old plumbing!
From discharge to beginning of week 6 there were inexplicable good days and worse days.
We have an explanation for this: recovery is not a straight line as we often expect it to be.

wiggly line.png

So on review can’t give accurate ROM as not really come across measuring it till I reached this site
If you wish, I can measure your ROM.

Flexion:
I just need you to get someone to take a photo of your leg in one of these two poses, ensuring you wear shorts and show the entire leg including foot and hip

goniometry-horz.jpg

Extension:
A good way to check extension yourself is like this:

1. put your leg on a bench, seat, bed, floor or anything similar but preferably something fairly firm.
2. with not too much pressure, press the back of your knee down - use your leg muscles, not your hand!
3. slide your hand, palm down, under the back of your knee
a) if you can get your entire hand under easily, it's probably about +10 degrees
b) if you can get just your fingers under, it's about +5
c) if you can get your fingers under but it's a push, it's 0
d) if you can't get your fingers under at all, it's -5 or more​

Here's a graphic to explain the degrees involved
knee-rom-small-jpg.50489

Thanks Josephine but I am over my knee recovery and looking for specific advice/experience on a new issue of recovery relating to bad supination caused by the success of the knee operation.The post you're addressing was in February.
I would suggest that maybe the Forum advisors/administrators should consider finding a place for requests for specific advice, which may or may not be out there in the forum, because putting it all into the original recovery thread kind of loses it in stuff that folks have moved on from?

You might find some information in the Other Joints forum:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/other-joints-forum.125/

If you no longer have specific questions/issues with your knee, you can start a thread about your foot issue in this Other Joints forum and see what comes of it.

Last edited:
A nurse told me before I left the hospital “only 15 minutes icing three times a day”! Not sure what that advice was based on but it was ignored. Now at 6 weeks I am still icing regularly. Note to self - mustn’t consume those peas when this is all done!

I am amazed at the range of advice given for recovery. I think it shows some faults that need work in our medical systems. 15 minutes of ice 3 times a day?!?!?! Based upon what? Is there some academic study done to high standards that recomends this icing procdure for most TKR patients? If so, where is it? I bet the nurse was simply passing on something he/she learned years ago or overheard from a doctor way back when.

Really, the medical profession needs to get up to date on this stuff, and if a person can't give good advice then just say "I don't know".

This icing information (usually they say 20 minutes ever couple of hours) comes from what is recommended when a person has an injury. It's different when you're trying to recover from joint replacement surgery. Sadly an awful lot of people just don't know how important icing and elevation of your limb can be. This is probably one of the most misunderstood recovery items we see. We've even heard of hospitals that completely refuse any icing at all for the patient and no elevation either. That certainly makes for a very unhappy patient as most people will develop pain and swelling under those conditions.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads