Sporthog’s total right shoulder replacement

SportHog

senior
Country
Canada Canada
I just returned home from my shoulder replacement on Feb 27, 2019. According to the surgeon everything proceeded as expected. He did mention that the shoulder was in pretty bad shape. The nerve block has worn off and I only have minimal pain so far. He has prescibed pain killers for when needed and celecoxib for 4 days. The arm is in a sling and rehab will begin shortly. Will keep you posted.

Welcome to the other side @SportHog ! Well done! Do keep us updated. We need lots of input on this shoulder journey for our members.

I have had some pain yesterday evening and am taking 1mg of hydromorphone every 4 hours as required. Also having problem sleeping. I used to sleep on my right side. Tried a reclining couch, wedge in bed and wing back chair. Chair was best but only short bursts of sleep. Any suggestions please?

Sleep issues seem to be a part of every recovery journey here. Do you have a recliner? If not - lots of pillows so you can sleep propped up a bit. It sometimes takes awhile to find that "perfect" position for back sleeping. Nap during the day as much as you can.

If you think you need better pain management please do contact your GP.

Best wishes for your recovery. Yes, please keep us up to date.

Slept a lot better last night after getting pillows stacked properly on the bed. I don’t seem to have any significant pain which is nice. I can’t remember when I am supposed to start the pendulum exercises. Is it too soon? Any suggestions?

Hey, Sporty! Can't keep away from us, eh? At least you're shifting your joints around a bit!
Glad to see you're doing okay. Keep up the good work!

The pillows with the recliner worked best for me to sleep. I am also a side sleeper and just couldn't handle sleeping on my back. I started the pendulum before I left the hospital but they also made sure to go through showing me how he wanted me to do it. You might want to check with your OS.

Thanks Peggy. I believe my surgeons intention was for me to start the pendulum exercise but I didn’t specifically ask him when. I will start today. Thanks for your input.

members pic.jpg

Here is a picture of my shoulder replacement incision.

Impressive @SportHog . Nice and tidy! You reminded me, we need to start a Shoulder Badges of Courage thread.

Thanks Jaycee. I was impressed how small the incision is. I also started the pendulum exercise with no difficulty.

SportHog, please let me know how much circular range that you're comfortable with when doing the pendulums. I had complete right total arthroscopic on February 18. I cannot relax enough to get a good circle yet (tight on extension up/out), but I am progressing a little. Gave up counting reps an I am timing three minutes to look for consistency. Good luck!

Are those staples in that incision? :yikes:
I can’t even imagine. I had stitches in my knee. It does look neat, though.

I started pendulums immediately. I was instructed to make back and forth motions as comfortable (mine are about 6 inches) and also to do circular motions. The idea is to stretch and loosen the shoulder.

I don't think there was a set number to do but I did them multiple times during the day. It is funny because I will do them now when the shoulder feels tight after exercising.

Shoulder feeling pretty good today. Sleep is still not the best but getting better. Pain relief is acetaminophen as required (mostly before bed). I have an orthopaedic visit on Monday. I think they will take staples out then. Endoscopic polyp removal on Tuesday. Physiotherapisy starts on Wednesday. Lots of fun!

Last edited:
I'm glad it's feeling good Sporthog, just curious, is the tylenol managing the pain well?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member