THR Hip number 2

51desoto

Country
United States United States
I got tired of sitting around feeling like a slug and decided to check in. PT only takes a few minutes and gliding around the house with my new walker only has limited appeal on the tenth trip. LTHR anterior on Tuesday. When I had the other hip replaced in 2013, I kept track of progress and when I took pain meds. Mostly because I had a lot of free time. The good part is I have some idea of when milestones can be expected, like getting rid of the walker or getting off the Vicodin. The possible negative is I am six years older and I may not heal as quickly. It's day 5 and I messed up when I went to bed, because I didn't stay ahead of the pain. There is so much talk these days about opioid abuse that I was willing to space out my meds more that I should have. New lesson re-learned. Take the meds. Another problem this time around is the constipation. I know this can be common, but if the coffee, Ducolax and stool softeners don't work today, I may resort to an enema. As the say, "this too shall pass." Anyone else deal with this sensitive subject?

Hi @51desoto sounds like you are doing well in spite of getting behind on your pain meds. As you probably know from this forum, taking pain meds in recovery is very important. I think we are all very sensitive to the opioids issues and get a little too concerned. I had my RTHR on October 19, 2018 at age 68. I also get concerned about not wanting to wait too long to get my left side done (if it ever needs to be done) and being that much older. I was about 6-7 days from surgery before I could say "Houston, we no longer have a problem, splash down completed".:heehee:

@51desoto Welcome to the other side! Lots of members report warm prune juice works. Lots of water and a bit of time. This is the tough part of recovery. Here's an article from our Library Constipation and stool softeners.

I'll leave your recovery article here in case you need a reminder.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Good to see you on this side of surgery and into recovery. I saw someone talking about pumpkin puree really helping so I am putting pumpkin pie on my recovery wish list for sure!! A good amount of water really does make a difference too!
:flwrysmile:

Hi, @51desoto
Congrats on the new hip. Staying hydrated is very important as mentioned already.
If you're still struggling, take a look at the following recipes for Constipation that a member posted in the past. Wishing you comfort. I hope you find relief soon.

Pumpkin Purée has been suggested as a cure for Constipation.
With Pumpkin Puree' being the ONLY ingredient in the can.
Cinnamon can be sprinkled on top.

This is the "Bomb" recipe for anyone Brave (or Desperate) enough to use it.
  • one dose liquid milk of magnesia in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with prune juice
  • Add 1 Tbsp. dark Karo syrup
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy.
The Candy Apple
  • one dose of MoM in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with apple juice
  • spoonful of brown sugar
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy
Thoughts on the Bomb:
  • Beware starting this recipe if you've only purchased Cherry Flavored MoM
  • DH got "100% Prune Juice" as opposed to the store brand kind where (though it said 100% Prune Juice, the first ingredient was Water, which made DH deem if unacceptable) :bignono: The consistency of the PJ he got was very thick/syrupy.
  • I think the idea of the Karo was to sweeten the pot.... but with the cherry flavor and the Karo the resulting hot drink was sickeningly sweet and had the texture of hot beef gravy.
Thoughts on the Candy Apple:

• I didn't make this, but if I were going to - I'd get the regular MoM
  • Buy the cheapest Apple Juice you can find...
  • I would error on the side of too little brown sugar, at least to start.

Sounds like you are doing great. I had second THR in November. I found getting lots of rest so the body can heal from the trauma it has been thru was helpful. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. And ice the leg to keep swelling down.

I live in the land of opioid abuse so it's on the news and in the paper constantly. Took a little experience and common sense to get over the reluctance to take them. Once you understand you won't have a problem with them it's all good. The bathroom problem was one I didn't have. I think it was Ducolax that I started on in the hospital and continued at home kept me a regular guy. On the other hand I did not enjoy the raised toilet seat.

The raised toilet seat is being ejected from our house this week! I needed the codeine when recovering.

Re the constipation, I ate dried figs and grapes plus oat bran. Did the trick..

Good news can come in minor ways when recuperating. The constipation is behind me, so to speak, and thank you for the tips. It is day 6, and I can tell my body is starting to recover in baby steps; a little more appetite, a little less foggy brain, a little better movement. Swelling seems to be coming down, but there is still a stabbing pain when I make some movements. My last hip was done in early May 13 and I remember feeling a little sad that I was missing Spring. Today it is in the 20s and snowing, so I recommend winter surgery.

Keep icing despite the swelling g going down. It really does help :)

It’s good to hear your positive update. Yes, I agree, I’m glad I had my op in winter and can enjoy the spring.

I agree on the winter surgery. If I do my Rt I'm looking to do it in winter like I did the L. Maybe a little earlier so I'm good to go by spring. It was much easier to sit indoors with the woodfire burning than if it was nice out.

I am interested in what pain med schedules others have used. I am one week in and I really do not like what the Vicodin does to me. Dry mouth from time to time, constipation that I think I am getting under control, foggy brain, and fatigue. I know their are limits on Tylenol, which included in Vicodin, but I may try subbing plain Tylenol for a couple of doses to see how it works. It is a tricky balance, but I am wondering what works for others.

I didn't really keep track but I never filled my painkiller scrip from my OS. Long story but I had some hydros left from a previous problem that I never used. I used 14 pills total in recovery.

9 days after surgery and getting stronger. I'm still hoping to get away from the Vicodin a little at a time. I graduated from the walker to the cane, except for my nightly bathroom visits about every two hours. I think I spoke too early about the reduced swelling a couple of days ago. It is my biggest annoyance. I have ice on it throughout the day and night. They gave me one of those cubes that pumps ice water. I don't remember this being such problem with my other hip, but maybe time dulled my memory. How long does this last?

I didn't have an excessive amount of swelling, but it WAS there for up to 6 weeks.
There are some alternatives that are very effective for pain management.
The one that I've seen on the forum that seemed most effective is a Tramadol/Tylenol combination.
@Josephine can advise you on this if you think you could address your issues with your OS office?

These ARE early days, Not Fun.:sad:
Keep the faith, @51desoto
All temporary.
Sending good mojo your way !:friends:

Hi there, Happy Friday :wave: Check out the schedule below and maybe run it by your OS if interested.

The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

This is a schedule Josephine has posted and I believe used, herself.
I've seen this followed up by the statement that if you're using this schedule, do check to make sure you're not taking any other drugs that contain Tylenol (Acetaminophen) You need to stay within the safe limit of no more than 4,000 mg of Tylenol in a 24 hr period. If any other medications you're taking contain Tylenol, add their amount into your daily calculations and reduce another of your doses, so you stay within those limits.

A great weekend to you!

23 days after surgery and thought I would check in. The value of PT has discussed by many, and I am strongly in favor of it. I had home and outside PT six years ago with my first hip replacement, and I have had home PT this time. My one month check up is next Tuesday and hope I will be prescribed more outside PT. I have regularly exercised almost every day until surgery, so the idea of not helping my body recover doesn't fit me. In my opinion, PT helps me know which exercises to do to get stronger and not hurt myself. Swelling is starting to go down a little and the entire leg is still tender to touch. I moved from the walker to the cane after a week, and will probably drop the cane next week, if the progress continues. Sleep comes in 3 to 4 hour stretches rather than 2 hours at a time. My surgeon said, before surgery, that this recovery may be quicker than 6 years ago, and he is right. Even though both were anterior, he said they have made improvements in that time.

Good to hear you are doing well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom