TKR Greda's recovery story<<

I have tried to look up this patella femoral syndrome and it seems like a catch all for pain around the patella.

I really don’t understand how I can have problems like this after the surgery. For years I had issues with my patella not tracking correctly causing arthritis. I thought this surgery would end all those problems. The PA thinks the stairs in the house is part of the issue.

Today I paid attention and counted the times I either went up or down stairs (one set of stairs has 7 steps and the other set of stairs has 8 stairs). I either went up or down 30 times today. I stopped myself several times when the trip could wait. I tried to only go up or down when I absolutely had to. I know usually I go up and down even more.

Just trying to clear my mind before I try to sleep. My insomnia has been terrible lately. The snow is coming down. The last forecast said 7 inches. I am glad I have no place to go tomorrow. My husband will take the truck with 4 wheel drive to work. Thanks for listening.

That is a lot of trips up and down the stairs. I’m glad you you were able to eliminate some, but when you have to, you have to.

I can’t go down steps foot over foot, and I’ll be 2 years next month. I can go up steps foot over foot, but I need my cane and a handrail.

I wondered if that’s because I have a one story house, and, there just aren’t hardly any stairs in n my life right now. It’s rare that I even have to step up on a curb.

I’ve had 2 second opinions but they don’t see anything wrong with the implant. It’s a Patellofemoral partial.

You have certainly had a lot of knee surgeries. :console2:

I’m glad you can stay home tomorrow and not go out in that awful cold weather. My knee doesn’t like the cold either.

@Greda I’ve read your recovery and I’m sorry your still suffering. How did you make out with your partial after it was revised? I’ve had nothing but problems with my partial and he revised it( fixed the plate) I am now headed for my third surgery in a couple weeks. I am getting the full tkr this time. I sure hope things are better than what I have going on now. Three surgeries in just over 16 months is not something I’m looking forward to. I also have lots of stairs in my house but I have a downstairs fridge and I set up a makeshift kitchen to try and avoid them as much as possible. I hope things improve for you, very frustrating and depressing when you are in chronic pain.

@Jolease My partial was not a success. It was horrible right after. The revision made things a bit better but I wish I would have just done a total replacement. My current OS gave me a choice of doing which ever knee bothered me the most.

My original plan was to change the PKR to a TKR a year after the left one. However I think I will be waiting a bit longer. I am sorry your PKR didn’t work. I saw 2 different OSs after my PKR and they both don’t do PKR except in certain circumstances. They told me they never would have recommended a PKR for me. That does not help me now.

@Jockette I have not been able to do stairs foot over foot for many years. That was one of the reasons I wanted to do the surgery. My knees have been trouble makers for years. My knee cap never tracked correctly. I had surgeries to fix it but it never a permanent fix.

I was never an athlete. My OS said it was a genetic problem. I had hope the TKR would be an answer. I had been put off because I was “too young”. The PKR is not working either. I chose to do the left knee first because it had fewer surgeries and I thought it would heal better.

We did get 7 more inches of snow. So now we have 13 inches on the ground. The next storm is this weekend another 3-5 inches are expected. The worst thing about the storm this weekend is going to be the wind. We have been lucky not to have blowing snow. I am afraid our luck is running out. I am staying in by the fire with ice on my knee and a kitty beside me.

@Greda I to listen to the surgeon, I sure wish I New now before the pkr. I am praying that the tkr will be better than this but I am dreading doing it all over again in such a short time. Going to have to dig deep to get through it and pray it will all be worth it in the end I was better off with the initial arthritis pain... woulda coulda shoulda syndrome :banghead:

I have tried to look up this patella femoral syndrome and it seems like a catch all for pain around the patella.
There's plenty of those old sayings around!
For years I had issues with my patella not tracking correctly causing arthritis. I thought this surgery would end all those problems. My OS said it was a genetic problem. I had hope the TKR would be an answer.
These issues certainly are genetic problems and rarely is surgery of any kind an answer.
They told me they never would have recommended a PKR for me.
Then why did they do one, that's what I would like to know!

I'd ask you my questions again but I already had you do that here: #27 August 31st: #153 December 15th
So there's probably not much mileage in me having you do them again. So sadly, the comments I've made above are probably the best I can offer right now.

I see the OS on Thursday so hopefully he will have some insight on what’s going on. My biggest fear is something is loose. It happened with my PKR. I really do not want to do a revision at this point but will have no choice if it is loose. I have been trying to limit the stairs as much as I can. So far I have not seen any improvement. To me I still think tendinitis is a possibly still the issue. I still remember when the recovery was going so good and I was not in pain and the swelling was practically gone. I use that memory to know it is possible to see improvement. It is just disheartening to not know how to get back to that moment.

I don’t know what to say, so I’ll send a hug. I just want you to know I do read your posts. I wish we had an answer for you. :console2::console2:

@Jockette
I appreciate your hugs and that you read my posts. I am having a rough day today. My husband is preoccupied with work and I know he is trying to be supportive but is too exhausted to really be there. Just having a good cry and my kitty has decided to take care of me. She has truly been my little nurse. I just wanted this to go better and am frustrated that it isn’t. Sorry to be such a downer.

You have every right to be upset. I am disappointed in my results and I’ve only had one partial. I can’t imagine going through all you’ve been through.

You can vent here any time you want. That’s what we’re here for, support and comfort. We care and want you to know you are not alone. :console2:

Just got back from my appointment. I saw the PA not the OS. She thinks tendinitis is the issue. The swelling is soft tissue. She examined the knee and it moves smoothly and my bend and straightening is as good as it can be with the swelling. She recommended PT to do emg therapy and exercises. I have a tens unit so I can do that at home. I said no to the therapy right now. I will try the tens and continue with icing and elevating. I am doing gentle stretches but nothing that causes more pain. My knee is really hurting from her poking and pushing on the painful places. I go back in 6 weeks. She didn’t think an x-ray was needed. I am not really sure how to feel I have dealt with tendon issues for years and wish there was a way to get an instant fix. Going to ice for a bit.

I can relate to your tendon issues. I was sent back to PT because of inflamed tendons. Though, I don't understand how working something that is inflamed can help it. I think the icing and refusing PT is a good thing for you. I am also icing again. This knee is going on 3 years old and started giving me worse problems about 9 months ago. How disappointing that the implant is doing well, but our surrounding tissues aren't.

@sistersinhim
I just used my tens unit and it really felt good. I wish I would have thought of it weeks ago. She didn’t say how often to use it. I am hurting again now that I took it off. I used it for 20 minutes. I looked up exercises online and there is no way I could do any of those right now. I will be praying we both get some relief soon.

I wish my knee would make up it’s mind. Yesterday the tens unit felt great but today I couldn’t hardly stand it. It started causing a burning pain even on the lowest setting. I took it off after a few minutes because it was causing more pain. My knee has been horrible all day. It was snowing again and cold with even colder weather this weekend. My husband really wants us to go to the home show this weekend. I just don’t see how I can possibly do it. We went last year and I limped around but with how things are going I just don’t think it will be worth it. Plus it is suppose to snow again tomorrow. I think the high tomorrow is 5. I think I will let my husband go on his own.
Does anyone know how long it takes for tendinitis to improve?

Does anyone know how long it takes for tendinitis to improve?
I asked Josephine the exact same thing and she said there's no set answer, every situation is different. I would let my hubby go to the home show alone. You and he both will be much better off in the long run.

@sistersinhim
Thanks for letting me know. Not really an answer that is easy to deal with but what I expected. Had a rough night my knee woke me up with sharp pain twice last night. I told my husband he is on his own with the home show. It is disappointing because at this point I was hoping we would be able to do stuff on the weekends. I hope you are having a good day. Going to cuddle up with my kitty and ice my knee for a bit. All the cats must know I need them because they have been extra sweet. Last night all 3 wanted to close to me at the same time —not exactly possible since 2 of them weight close to 20 lbs. Thankfully they were okay taking turns.

Last night all 3 wanted to close to me at the same time —not exactly possible since 2 of them weight close to 20 lbs. Thankfully they were okay taking turns.
I am a cat rescuer and at the time of my replacement I had 13 to take care of. It was rough, but neighbors helped the first couple of weeks. Once I was able to go down 3 steps to the screened in porch to clean out the litter tubs, I was on my own. They are were wonderful companions and got me moving!

My only bad time was when my big boy jumped up on my lap and landed on my new knee first. I let out a scream and he ran off. Since then they would look at me and wait for me to invite them up on my lap.

I believe that animals can tell when we're sick or in pain and want to comfort us. I receive that comfort from them!

@sistersinhim
I have always had cats. My husband’s mom had a phobia of cats and he had never been around cats. When she was a child someone threw a cat at her. I always put our kitties up when she came over. When we got married I brought my 14 and 9 yr cats. He has become a lover of cats. Sometimes I think he gives the cats more attention than me. We have 4 cats now. Our 9 year old girl doesn’t get along with our 3 yr old boys. I switch out the cats 3 times a day. They definitely keep me moving. I have had many cats throughout the years and can’t imagine life without them. I used to work as a vet tech at a cat clinic. We worked with many rescues and always appreciated all the hard work they did. I loved working at a busy clinic but my knees didn’t love it.

Sometimes I think he gives the cats more attention than me. We have 4 cats now. Our 9 year old girl doesn’t get along with our 3 yr old boys. I switch out the cats 3 times a day. They definitely keep me moving.
Many times they demand more attention! I have 8 left and they all get along just fine, praise God. It sounds like yours are giving you good ADL!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back