TKR Purple swollen leg 5 days post-replacement

Hi, @kneeper, thanks for sharing your encouragement and experiences.
I dropped the diclofenac this morning, with my PA’s ready blessing; he said it’s only for comfort. I was thinking an anti-inflammatory should be also helpful reducing excess tissue swelling, potential for scar, etc. But I guess that isn’t clear, and as soon as I get my own Addison’s cortisol/steroids caught up, it’s not excessive.
Anyway, doing fine, and very glad my PT suggested going back on a stocking for the swollen knee, that actually feels good; the compression part of RICE, helps a lot!
And I use NAC, will get back on turmeric and fish oil after check-up in 2 days.
Walking around I can tell the progress. :)

With regards,
nell41

Hi all,
Now day 19, and all is going quite well in PT, single crutch. Driving, which feels great, walking feels pretty good, and got the go-ahead to return to work, which I’m happy to do, planning Feb. 26 part-time.
The sleep is my problem now!!! Not more than 2 -3 hours each night for 19 days, they happen at bedtime, then I’m just up the rest, uncomfortable. I meditate, play games, read, listen to music, walk to the kitchen to change ice packs......
I am on only occasional daytime 25mg. Tramadol, but on most days not any, prefer to use Tylenols for that.
Benadryl did nothing.
I tried Valerian, which has helped me before, but it didn’t touch the rest of the night.
I’m not interested in prescription sleepers.
I appreciate the info. on sleep you have, and just reassurance those rhythms will return ....some day....helps. Boy, I’m getting frustrated and impatient with how generally cruddy the lack of sleep makes me feel. My memory is mush.
I’m looking forward to massage in 2 days with my regular person (not to go near the leg but upper back, neck, and general healing touch), maybe I’ll get a one-hour nap then, at least.
I miss my warm therapy pool, waiting for that total incision healing feels like forever.
All my sympathies for others going through this phase!
wakingly,
Nell41

You have a great attitude! All sounds par for the course and will improve. Enjoy that massage, I’m sure it will be good for you.

@Jockette, thanks for your nice reply.
This forum does help me, especially in those lonely middle night hours. I am single at this time of my life, and have my home helper part time, lots of friends, and tons of support that way, but wonder if folks with a partner maybe have some soothing that we singles don't get. My stuffed animals help a bit, but the touch hunger is there still. ;-)

My brother is going to get his knee replaced quite soon, and he is even more of an independent, go-getter than I am. I may refer him to the forum.

Simple pleasures get real important, like I saw my Amaryllis is actually starting to put up a stem, which means it will flower....again! I'm so thrilled! I'm weeping tears! That's the "you might find yourself quite emotional" part my surg. team prepared us for. A wild ride...enjoy the adventure.

Take care,
Nell41

Oh yes, the emotions! I cry easily, but even I was surprised by the frequency and intensity of my crying. It’s a side effect of major surgery.

Your flower is a wonderful example of regrowth (for lack of a better term at the moment) Continue to have faith that your knee is doing something similar.

This is a very long, slow recovery. An average of a year. It’s so easy for our positive attitude to fluctuate.

Hang out here with us, we’ve all been through what you are going through, so we understand. :console2:

@nell41 I understand fully your frustration over lack of sleep, but it will get better. I was exactly the same until the past 2 or 3 days, sleep is still disjointed, but I am going back to sleep once I've woken, sometimes with a 2 hour gap, but last night was the first night I managed 7 hours. Admittedly I had a break of an hour after the first sleep, but that did include transfer from sofa to bed, and one loo break. Strangely I feel more tired today and have already had 40 mins on the sofa. I think it must be catch up time.

I hope things improve for you soon .

@Lindylee,
Thanks for your note!
Your L TKA is just 9 days ahead of mine! I'm so glad you got 7 hours sleep! That sounds wonderful! And I understand that once we're into the "catch-up sleep" phase, the tiredness feeling will descend on us, maybe along with the famous blues to some extent.
It's so good to have been warned of this sleepless 2 or 3 weeks, by everybody, my surgeon's team, the PT, all you on this forum. It's a weird brain state, where my memory is no good, but I feel alert and not even tired in the usual sense, just like you said. I guess it's just so much stress, rapid changes, our bodies keep us watching out.
Tonight I'm trying L-Theanine, which I've always appreciated, to help relax me, without anything addictive. Maybe I'll sniff a little Lavendar extract too. I've done a fair amount of walking out at activities, too, so that exercise might also help me get some rest.
Take care, keep in touch,
nell41

@nell41 It's worth trying anything that might help with sleep. I had another reasonable night last night, over 5 hours uninterrupted and then a further 90 mins. :sleep: Bliss! The blues haven't descended as yet, apart from one day when I complained a lot about lack of sleep, not being able to do much etc, but it didn't last, thank goodness. I'm trying not to have any unrealistic expectations and just take each day as it comes. How long that will last is anyone's guess! Take care.

@Lindylee
So glad you got the blissful sleep hours!
I’ve heard others say the blues can be brief, irritability would be natural.

One day at a time, that’s good advice.

I did a lot of walking yesterday, some shopping and a visit. So, my knee was rather mad at me, as expected. I did a lot of meditating, mind-body stuff to soothe it.

I think I got 2 hours sleep last night. L-theanine relaxed me, but the Valerian didn’t do anything. So, I just went with the flow, got up around 3:00 and had a yogurt and berries, and watched a compelling movie on Netflix.

I guess we best occupy ouselves usefully to sort of pass the time til nature takes over and restores our regular rhythms, right?

Best wishes for another blissful night!
Nell41

@nell41 You were busy yesterday! I don't think I'd be up to all that just yet. I'm trying to spread things out at present. I walk every day and aim for one other outdoor or social activity in addition to doing a bit more indoors. Today was a visit to the chiropodist calling into a couple of shops on the way home and some dusting and tidying this afternoon. I know how to live, not sure how will I contain myself. The excitement might be all too much.:loll:

I think that the best thing is not to stress on sleep issues. If I can't sleep I read, might play a game, check out the forum etc. I figure at least I'm resting and sleep will come at some point. I hope yours comes soon.

@Lindylee ,
You have more patience than I do, which I envy at the moment.
I overdid Sunday and again yesterday after PT, because walking actually feels good so I do a bit more, and it doesn’t bother me at the time.
But oh my, my knee is really mad about it today!
I’m nursing it as best I can. I received the Lounge Doctor today and really like that for elevating. I found out about it on this forum, where a lot of people like it.
I’m about to go get a massage, that will at least feel good for my upper half.
I slept about 4 hours last night, so creeping up on that part, but as I’m still way behind, I sure feel crummy and irritable. Dropping things or making a spill and mess in the kitchen seem like insurmountable stresses. :gaah:

You sound much better balanced, good modelling. I hope you’re coming along as well as it sounds.
Take care,
Nell41

I hope you’re coming along as well as it sounds
Not today I'm not, got carried away and went upstairs on alternate feet, very swollen knee, so have taken it easy today, lots of ice and elevation. To top it all I then, without thinking, tried to come down on the wrong foot. :bignono: That's my good impressions out the window!
Dropping things on the floor is soooo frustrating.

@Lindylee
Ouches! Sorry to hear, but I totally understand, our knee just hates for us to do something else than what it had in mind......:hissy::blackcloud::groan:
At least there’s these cute emojis to express our down days, hunh?
I had a massage, upper body only, of course, and told my massage therapist my troubles, while the healing touch helped my soul. I still have lots of swelling and a burning on the skin, can’t stand the feeling of wearing pants on that skin. I keep telling my poor knee soothing stories, hoping it will turn down the heat soon.

Tonight I’ll hope for a bit better sleep.

Be careful and may you bounce right back real soon!

Nell41

At least there’s these cute emojis to express our down days, hunh?
I fell in love with those, too, when I figured them out (with help!:rotfl: I had to ask where members got them from. :doh:)

I find this one especially mesmerizing:
:wowspring:

@nell41 Thanks Nell. The massage sounds good. Did you sit up for it? I can't imagine lying on my front at present. :scare:Yes, the emojis are great!
Hope you had a good night.

@Lindylee,
I had about 3 hours of sleep....this is getting old :tiredwheel:
I lay on my back the whole time for the massage. No way would I lay on my front!!!!! :yikes:
My knee has really blown up (overdoing plus no more NSAIDs), and is so terribly sensitive, burning, to any touch, pressure, that I removed the sheet and light blanket from over it. We used a bolster under the knees, which helped the angle a bit. He was able to do a lot of work on my neck, shoulders, and reached under my back for some really good touch there. He did some work on my ears, too, trying to get me to soothe a bit. I realize I'm so wound up, everything is magnified, including a lot of pain. I need to do more meditation, relaxing stuff.
I'm going to call my physician's assistant this morning to talk about pain management. I think since I dropped the NSAID's that I'm almost always red and swollen, no matter what I do, and it's getting crazy painful. I wonder if my Addison's disease (I don't make any cortisol) is out of control, with this stress, and that I should also go up on my replacement. I will ask him about going up on the gabapentin, so my nerves can settle down. It's at a pretty low dose, 300 mg. twice a day, and I don't find it sedating. Maybe he'll have other ideas too, I hope so!

Hang in there, going through this journey is something we'll be proud of .... later!

Thanks for sharing with me, good luck I hope your day settles and feels better.

Nell41

@nell41 I hope the phone call was productive and they gave you some meds to help. It's a vicious circle isn't it? The pain causes stress, makes us tense, which causes even more pain. :gaah:
My knee is really stiff and achey behind the knee this morning, quite swollen still and feels really tight, so will take it easy again. I did go for a walk round the block and that seemed to help stretch it out a bit. Onwards and upwards hey? We'll get there eventually. :console2:

@Lindylee
I hope you’re less stiff and sore. I also have that tightness behind the knee....my surgeon’s PA (physician’s assistant) said that’s universal “because you just had a knee replacement.” Oh. OK.
And my PT has seen it with everyone also. Oh. OK.
It’s good that your walking helps.
I was glad my call with the PA went well, he agreed to go up to catch up with my Addison’s would help, and we’re going up on gabapentin to 2 or 3 at bedtime to help with nerve sensitivity and sleep.
Yay! I slept better last night already, a couple 2 hour chunks with lots of dreaming. Good sign!
I keep reminding myself this is a one year project. My surgeon’s team told us we’re only 25% healed by 1 month, and I really believe that, the way this feels :badspidy::tantrum::rotfl:
Wishing you more ease and peace with this each day.
Is spring around the corner where you live? That encourages me here, in Colorado, USA.
Take it easy,
Nell41

@nell41 Thanks Nell, it helps to know we're not alone and the aches and pains are not unique to us. 25% sounds about right and puts it in perspective. I'm glad you had a better night and they're sorting your meds out. I seem to be managing better too, one chunk of 3-4 hours and then another 2. I haven't needed to nap during the day for the past 2 days, but am shattered by 9.00 pm and struggling to stay awake until 10.00.
We've been having unusually mild weather this week, warm enough to have a coffee and even lunch out in the garden. Our Spring flowers are poking their heads out, just makes you feel so much better. :loveshwr:

@Lindylee
So glad you have spring flowers starting; I think we've timed this one well, to emerge leaving that arthritic knee behind, into what's my favorite season! :flwrysmile:I see you're in the UK, and it sounds quite much warmer there; whereas here we have snow and ice, and quite cold so far. Lunch in the garden sounds wonderful!
Glad you're sleeping more, too. :yes!:
I've got the best sleep so far last night. I struggled with myself at bedtime with a lot of piercing pain, and decided to take a Tramadol, even though I'd been glad I'd stopped it a week ago. My PT encourages me to use it as needed, and I think it allowed me to sleep several hours. As long as I can drive the next day, I'm telling myself I need to drop my fears about it, as using it intermittently it's not going to make me addicted.
Here's to our bouncing back and forward...I agree this is the neatest emoji
:wowspring:

cheers,
Nell41

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88