THR 1-8-19 hip surgery recovery

@goblue61 I am sorry you have suffered a setback. I think for many the temptation of moving forward quickly is just a bit too tempting. I think many of us also feel almost euphoric that we can (or think we can) do things we weren't able to do pre-op. Unfortunately some of us have to learn the hard way but it doesn't sound like you've done anything you will regret long term.

I hope you continue to feel better :flwrysmile:

Hi @goblue61
I'm really sorry you suffered a set back. Thankfully you're feeling better.
An hour long Physical Therapy session seems extreme. Resistance bands make me cringe. Especially when you were only one month post op.
One of my favorite questions to ask is...
If you sustained the injuries you have through a serious car accident, would you feel the need to work out or exercise? Most likely not. You'd probably rest, take it easy / go slow and allow your body to heal, not put it through further stress.

Consider setting aside PT for now and use a sensible walking program as your rehab. If you find there is something you need help with, you could always return once you're further along in your recovery and feeling stronger.

I'll tag @Josephine to make sure she reads Post # 100 that you addressed to her.
Wishing you all the best going forward.

Last edited:
Now dear @goblue61
You know good and well ketchup is not the proper condiment to accompany crow.
Of course it is honey mustard...a little bit sweet, with a tiny bite afterwards.
:heehee:
Seriously, don't feel like YOU need to be contrite...truth be known, the surgeon's do their job...and then shuffle you off to a PT...and I seriously have no idea why they don't consider recovery first...then PT if necessary!!!
I have been there and done that...to a lesser extent perhaps but THANK YOU for your willingness to relay the results of an over zealous physical therapy protocol...so that others can see a cautionary tale in real time.:umm:
It certainly can help others.:yes:
Meanwhile, good Mojo coming at you.:egypdance:
You are going to be glad you had this done!:friends:keep the faith, friend!

Last edited:
Hmm. Honey mustard does sound better .Will try it next time.
Looking forward to good Mojo coming my way.

Do these surgeons/ therapist believe that PT is needed to break up scar tissue and get your range of motion back?
Yes but they are sadly mistaken in this ideology. Hips generally don't create 'scar tissue' (adhesions) and the range of motion isn't usually an issue either. Bless you, I'm sorry you had to find it out the hard way!

Hi @goblue61 :wave:
Just wondering if you have relinquished your membership to the ODIC and are doing well as you near your one month hipversary.
This recovery business can be quite a test of patience...:bored:
Hope all is well! Keep the faith.

Mojo, Thanks for checking on me for my 8 week Hipversary. Haven't had much to say recently since I am pretty much back to my normal life routine (except without hip pain). Yay!

After my short stint in the ODIC last month I did decide to not attend PT any longer. I had an appointment with my OS two weeks ago for the 6 week follow up and told him that I was going to exercise at home and cancelled PT. He just told me to stay active and do some stretches which I have been doing daily. I did buy some ankle weights to do some leg lifts he wanted me to do that take about 10 min at most. A lot shorter than the hour workout the PT had in mind.

Right now the hip feels great! A little stiff after sitting for more than 10-15 min but it warms up quickly and am able to walk without a limp at least 95% of the time.

I am back to work full time, walk 1.5-2 miles without an aid, stood for a concert recently for a couple hours, and actually two stepped with the wife last week at a banquet we attended. No twirling or shuffling backward but barely could do that when I had two healthy hips.

Thanks so much for all the help and support.

I see you're approaching your Two Month Anniversary in two days. Hope it's a happy one.
It sounds like you're doing well. Proceed with caution, at least for several more months. There is still a lot of healing taking place. Sounds like you're on your way though. Thanks for the update.
Enjoy the rest of the week! :)
@goblue61

:wave:I have realized NOW that I was so happy to not having that horrid bone crunching hip pain...that I was also Good at two months...not without the random niggles and discomfort...but Happy about no horrid hip pain.
Just wait! Things will get better and better!

Very glad for you @goblue61 !:egypdance:

Thanks.

I am curious as to when stiffness after sitting disappears? I know I am only at 2 months post op and have plenty of healing time ahead of me with restrictions.

Just wondering if this usually is gone or diminishes after 3 months, 6 months, a year, etc...? Boy those first 5 steps after sitting can be tough at times.

@goblue61 Hi, I am heading towards 5 months post op and the stiffness has improved quite a bit for me. I am sure I will continue to progress but the stiffness is still no where near as bad as it was early post op or pre op. I still try to elevate in order to relieve swelling I have around the new joint. My understanding is that the stiffness can be due to swelling. That being said, the swelling has and continues to improve. Everyone is different and since I am retired I don't have to sit, stand, etc. for long periods of time. You sound like you are doing really good at 2 months. Best of luck in your continued recovery.

diminishes after 3 months, 6 months, a year, etc
Diminishes...yes, good word.
Four months was my biggest turnaround with that...but still hung about to a lesser degree and could reappear more prominently with over activity.:sigh:
Very seldom at one year unless I severely overdid things...mainly with heavy lifting.
Hope you are still icing!

Hi @goblue61, sounds like you are doing great, already walking a couple of miles. Glad you are out of the ODIC. I'm just about 3 months post op and still have the stiffness with a little pain for 3 or 4 steps when I get up. It's getting better. When I stand, I put weight on my surgery leg slowly while I stretch a little, then alternate putting most of my weight on one leg or the other before I step out. That helps take the edge off when I put all my weight on the op leg.

At 4.5 months I don’t get stiff when standing up except when I have used the hip a lot - eg long walk of 10 miles or so - when I almost seize up after sitting and it then takes a long time to get going again.

Hi there :wave:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your weekend is all you want it to be.
@goblue61

Three months already...Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well.
Wishing you a lovely Spring!
@goblue61

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker