TKR TKR September 10

Good news on the job front! You may be tired and achy still — that’s rather inevitable given you had such a major surgery — but if your knee isn’t swollen and in pain every night, it’s doing okay. I found my energy returned to normal at around 3-4 months. Before that, everything made me drag.

Hoping with you that your remaining pains go away forever soon. Mine did, though it took several months for that to happen. Just keep on getting better and better! :santaclap:

Hey Melanie!!! @flsungirl:cheers: Congratulations :yay::spin::dancy:on the promotion!! They really are happy to have you back!! Remember to take it easy and go slow! :old:

I remember early on thinking oh man I hope my other knee doesn’t get any worse, cause I really don’t want to go Thur this again, but here I am at week 13,getting my Cat scan this coming Monday so they can build my new knee for implant after returning from Floridathis coming April. I believe you were of the same mindset early on, not wanting to go thru this again,so curious if you plan on doing the other knee next year, now that right one is coming along. I believe you mentioned that doing the other knee could be in your future ,or if I am mistaken, and your other knee is good bless your lucky stars . It would be nice if we could have the operation and just fast forward thru the first12 weeks lol. Anyway glad things are coming together for you, and enjoy the holidays.

@Softtail yes I do need lefty done :groan:but I’m waiting till around August or September next year. Oh I wish we could skip through those crazy weeks. I feel more confident now in knowing what I’ll be going through this time around. I was lost those first few weeks after surgery! Glad you’ll be in Florida enjoying our gorgeous weather! :santawave: Have a wonderful holiday :tree:

Hi @flsungirl,
Im so pleased that i dont have to worry about whether or not or when to have my "other" knee done.
My double is still implanted firmly in my memory. Not to mention that im not off pain meds yet. But only on mobic and panadol.

Ive been doing stairs for quite a few weeks getting braver every day. Muscle still slowly mending so sit to stand is possible but hurts a bit!
Ive just been to help at the school and was pooped...well and truly! But feet up for 1/2 hour, feels like i can go again!
Congrats on your promotion.

Have a great Christmas, operation twin.:santa sleigh:
Heres cheers to next year:cheers2:

Last edited:
Merry Christmas to everyone! It’s hard to believe I had surgery back in September! I’m not 100% but I know it’s due to the 11 hour work days. We had a fire alarm last week and I was half way down the stairs before I realized I was doing the stairs normally! Still have lateral knee pain and my outer right hip has kept me awake too many nights. But each week is
An accomplishment! Onward and upward!

Merry Christmas to you, too! It’s great to hear from you, we’ve missed you.
:santa hug:

@flsungirl i missed you but figured it was good news and you were back to loving life!

Way to go!!!
So happy for you.

Hope Christmas brings you all sorts of blessings and peace.

:merry christmas:

@flsungirl wow down stairs without thinking is absolutely amazing:wow:.
And 11 hour days is huge.

Same for re outer hip pain.....at one stage i thought maybe i was going to need a hip replacement :beg:

But then i had a couple good days but alas was up last couple nights at 1am with deep ache in hip so downed couple panadol an ibrufen- so i could get some sleep. Sometimes it ok in morning or else hangs about for a bit....:shrug:

I think its our new ODIC symptom and probably work related as no time for self-care at work:swoon:

Roll on the next month...hope you have some time off over the hol break to rest up
:santa hug:

@Kiwigirl62 yeah, the hip pain has been a bummer. I was hoping I didn’t need a new hip too! It was really bad, enough to wake me up at night. It does seem to get better after I’ve been off work for a few days. Hope your doing well:reindeerlights:
@Jockette its been crazy getting the office back to my standards and adding Christmas it’s been koo koo! Have a wonderful holiday :reindeer:

@traceys remember...slow and steady! Looking forward to continuing the journey with you! You got this! :santawave::box:

Wow how time flies! My TKR has finally turned the corner! We had a fire alarm a few weeks back and I was flying down the stairs before I realized that I was doing it! What an amazing feeling! :happydance:

Unfortunately, we have been crazy busy at work and my leftt knee is agonizing! I can’t believe I went all those years with debilitating pain in both knees. This week has kicked my left knee’s butt! Righty is pain free which made me realize how bad both knees were. I also noticed that lefty is a little bit bigger than righty . I’m sure it’s from swelling in the left knee.Just thought I’d check in and check up on everyone

Happy New Year! And...left knee replacement in 2019!

:wave: Great to see you! That’s awesome that your new knee is basically pain free already!

@flsungirl great update ....well for righty, but just highlights the left. Wow downstairs is great......im only doing shallow ones slowly, but not worried as i get to do much other stuff now.
Riding bike one way to work every second day along with lots regular walking and a couple bush walks.........ALL without effect.
I'm loving this pre 4 month progress that I'd read about....onwards and upwards
Suzanne

@flsungirl, Happy New Year to you too!

Good to see your new knee is doing well. I’ve not yet had a reason to “fly down the stairs” yet, but hope that I would have a similar experience. Now that you know what having a good knee is like, don’t wait too long to decide what to do with your other knee. From my own experience, I’m glad I didn’t wait longer than I did. Before surgery, my knee wasn’t bad enough to cause me issues every day, just often enough to let me know it was getting worse. Get it taken care of while you aren’t suffering so much pain that you limit what you enjoy doing.

Hi @flsungirl ! Hope you are enjoying this new year... one new knee done and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for at least one knee now? I laughed reading about you flying down the stairs! Amazing how we can forget about the damn knee at times now! I’m at 4 months and stairs are much easier but I still look awkward from stiffness whenever I get up from sitting. Isn’t this just the craziest recovery?? I love that I don’t think about it as much :yes!: but amazed at how it still can swell and complain if I push it the tiniest bit:gaah:BUT I can actually now say I’d do it again ! WHAAAT?? Never thought I’d say that but am hoping that’s how you’re feeling too?
Next one we will have more patience! And not give in to the dreaded urge to overdo!
Hoping you’re busy and happy:cheers:

:flwrysmile:Hi @flsungirl ! Good to see you on here! It’s great to hear you’re doing so well with the new knee, hope you can do the other one soon, and get rid of that endless pain.

Just checking in and checking up on everyone. I’m about 5 months post op and am thankful for my new knee! Last week I experienced some pain, like a zinger, but worse. It was off and on for the whole weekend. Now it’s gone! For the most part I’m doing well. Except the dreaded left knee reminds me daily what pain truly is. I no longer have insurance because they changed my deductible to a crazy amount and after it’s met I’d be responsible for 40% of everything! So lefty will be a long time in being replaced.

Most days I’m happy with the newbie. Still working my 11 hour shifts and life has returned to normal. For that I am grateful. Hope everyone is recovering and getting to live a pain free life.

Happy Valentines Day:loveshwr:

@flsungirl great to hear from you again. Sorry to hear about your insurance coverage change! That’s not fair. Take care of the other knee so you can put surgery off as long as possible. In the meantime, enjoy the new one!

@flsungirl great to hear from you, was wondering how you are faring . Stink news re your left knee and insurance woes. Although I have no understanding of US rules.
It must be hard to enjoy the results of the right knee with the left deteriorating.
Was guessing re the right knee that no news is good news. I only post at monthly update now.(5 mth next wk) ....incase i need another knee done, to help me remember the journey (thank goodness we only have 2:rotfl:).
In saying that i dont think I'll ever forget 'no sleep'.
PS....finally mastered those B#$&/^ downstairs
Suzanne

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020