THR Hip pain<

fossel13

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello everyone I’m new to this forum. But need some advice.

I had a total hip replacement in November 14 weeks ago. I am still in pain in my groin and bottom, down front of shin I still cannot walk without my stick. When I’ve been sitting for few minutes I cannot walk because of the pain. I have to grab my stick to get me were I need to be. Kitchen and bedroom.

I’m also getting broken sleep, cannot lie on my my new hip side. Also if I sleep on my good side within few minutes it starts aching and giving me chronic back pain.

I’ve seen my GP and all she did was refer me for physio and gabapentin pain killers Physio isn’t until April. My surgeon has said it's muscle pain. But it’s gotten worse lately. And I walk my dog every day and do my exercises I’m am totally fed up now. No proper answers off any one

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us. Congrats on your new hip.
Please leave your exact surgery date below and which hip was replaced.
The info will be applied as your signature.

I'm sorry you're struggling with pain and uncertainty. I think your exercises, depending upon what they are, may be your problem -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines thouroughly and begin ICING as prescribed. I'd also follow the ACTIVITY PROGRESSION FOR THR, get adequate rest and see if things begin to improve.

Stop back with questions or concerns and we'll do our best to advise and support you as you journey through recovery.

Wishing you comfort!
Recovery Guidelines will be posted soon.

Thank you, Layla. I’m only doing exercises that the hospital showed me, maybe twice a day. I was just wondering if anything is wrong. Most of the pain is in my buttock and in my shin

@fossel13
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Let's tag the forum Nurse Director @Josephine and see what she thinks about whatever PT exercises you're doing and the pain you're dealing with. I've tagged her for you so please check back in case she has questions for you.
I hope today is a good one!
@fossel13

Oopsie daisy, you forgot to leave your signature info, please leave your surgery date and which hip was replaced below. Josephine will need that info.
Thanks in advance.

Can you tell me where your pain site is using these charts?

aa hip-references-horz.jpg
aa knee-references-horz.jpg

After that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Yes that’s fine. Not sure how to use that chart

My operation date was 8th of november2018

To use the charts look at the little images on the left. Select the coordinates that reflect where you have pain. Example in the first little image (top left) CR2F.

Let's see if I can help...
Let's say the pain was in the area directly below your belly button.
You would type it here as - SR3F and SL3F
If the pain was in the middle of your right (front) thigh you'd type it here as XR2F
Make sense?
Find your pain visually then take the letter off to the side and the letters and number from the top

R3B X
R3B W

RF2E
RF2 F
RF2 G

L3F W

Just to verify - R3BX and R3BW (I think you're mistaking the B for the # 8)

And also - L3FV / RF2E / RF2F / RF2G

@fossel13

So sorry you are dealing with pain that is interfering with your sleep and mobility. 3 months out is still early, but it sounds like you aren't seeing progress?

Is all you are doing the gentle stretches that were suggested when you came home and short walks with your dog?(And the walks inside your home?) Or did they give you more strenuous exercises?

Many, if not most, of us experienced that awful pain when trying to stand and walk after sitting. It is really uncomfortable and worrisome....luckily, once the swelling and tissue settle down, the standing pain does as well.

In fact, even when I was able to walk longer distances, climb stairs, etc., I was still bothered by the pain I had every time I sat, even if for a short time. Obviously there still was internal swelling. And then, one day, I realized it had disappeared, and I had no idea exactly when. I hope you start seeing some progress soon!

Happy Wednesday!
Hopefully once you tap the links and read what Jo believes to be your issue, you'll have clearer direction
and a better idea on how to lose the pain.
We're rooting for you. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. We care. :console2:
@fossel13

Thank you I will try these exercises and get a ice pack

Hello :wave:
Ice works wonders. Keep in mind the forum Nurse, Josephine, recommends icing for no less than 40-60 mins each time you ice. Target several times daily.
Best of luck to you. Happy Valentines Day!
@fossel13

Thank you Layla I haven’t had time to go and get ice pack as had my husband poorly all day but have tried those exsersises Bit painful but will persevere

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom