THR Got'er done!

You are only 2 weeks out and already doing so much. Easy does it my friend. If you are limping at all use that cane. You don't want to get into the habit of limping again.
Still have a strong sense of a feeling that my thigh and part of the leg have been hit by a 2 X 4.
Yup - major carpentry. Ice will be your friend for awhile.

Thanks Jaycey. Yes, I have also been conscious about my limp. Like walking today, I was limping a little, BUT, it was because the of the thigh leg, not hip. If I think about it, I could "straighten" my walk out with no or little limp. My brain is saying, your leg (not hip) is hurt, limp. When I had the hip pain, pre-op, I don't think I had much of a choice as far as limping!

At my last PT (only have one more at home one, this Thursday), that's one of the things I worked with my PT guy on; what's with this heel to toe walking I hear so much about? We basically went over to hit the ground with the heel and walk out of your step as opposed to kind of dragging the entire soul/bottom of foot along the ground making the step and usually a limp.

Last edited:
Happy Two Week Anniversary!
You're doing great! Just keep taking it slow, balance is key.

Heel-toe walking assists in losing the limp. It's the way we should be walking. Heel strikes the ground first, followed by toes. It really does help. It takes most of us a concentrated effort after the sloppy gait we established in favoring our ailing hip.

I hope you have a wonderful week. :)
@Wayfarer

:dogsniff::kitty: IMG_2867.JPG 56737248956__E7C92CE4-4CC8-4E4A-906E-D3DDBDF214DC.JPG IMG_2874.jpg @Wayfarer @otisbeagle Wayfarer, you sound like you are doing so much so early. I too love dogs, our latest is a Golden rescue from Turkey we adopted in April 2018. He is the sixth golden we have had, the second rescue. He is the sweetest boy and made the very early days of recovery much more tolerable. One of our cats, Bogart, has also been such a great companion. He loves to lay on top of me while I elevate and ice. Our animals can be such a great comfort to us.

Wayfarer,

I was freaked out about my limp too, as I limped horribly before surgery and still limped awkwardly with the cane or unassisted after surgery. My in-home PT kept telling me not to worry (though he only had me use the cane for steps, because he felt strongly that the cane would make me limp more). Sure enough, I do not limp at all now (unless I’ve just gotten up from sitting a long time). Once the swelling goes down (mine took 6 or more weeks to really de-puff) and you strengthen your leg, you’ll probably walk beautifully!! My PT told me to take lots of short walks. If I walked too long, my form would be compromised.

Beautiful dog, and Bogart sounds cool too! A golden rescue from Turkey?? Did you rescue the dog personally, or is there an organization doing this?? I’ve heard of rescues coming from places like Mexico and China, but this is a new one. I’ve been to Turkey three times and can’t remember what the street dog scene was. Then again, I went there long before I became a dog freak!!

Wayfarer, You and I are very close in the recovery phase although you are somewhat ahead of me walking without a cane. I had my last in home PT today and obviously wanted to show off a little during my lap around the living room evaluation. I can walk without my cane short distances but with a very noticeable limp. With the cane, the limp is hardly noticeable.

My PT said don't rush it (don't we hear that all too often?) and to continue with the cane until I am ready to walk without it limp free.

Time to practice this heel toe advice mentioned above.

On another note; I would assume you can sleep on your sides since you had Anterior surgery? When you first get out of bed after sleeping do you need to "wake the leg up?" I am still sleeping on my back not moving the surgical leg much at all although my doctor has said its ok to side sleep with a pillow between the legs. Last night was the first night I did not have the walker next to the bed. Only the cane. Big mistake!

Thought I was going to pee my pants on that 30 ft five min walk to the bathroom.

@goblue61 and @Wayfarer, Boy, you two are progressing quickly! That's great to hear. I had my revision surgery on Jan. 3 and am still on one crutch or a cane, not trying to go it alone yet. I do cruise along the kitchen counters, and that is getting easier each day. I ditched the walker in the early days home because it is so slow. I find the crutches much faster even for getting to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The one thing that keeps me optimistic is that I have no pain when putting weight on the new hip.

Prairienut,
Saw your 2 1/2 week follow up post a few days ago and that's great your revision is healing well. Sounds like you are also getting around nicely for 3 wk post op. Wayfarer and I are 10 years younger which gives us a slight advantage for healing I would believe.
You have such a great attitude for having this surgery repeated in 10 years after your original surgery. `I am sure you were thinking years ago like I am this implant will last me for life.
Gosh I hope so.

Yes Blue, we are close with our surgeries. I too had my last PT today; it was moved up to today instead of tomorrow. I spent most of a half day at the DMV and then back to the office to alter some paperwork. Nothing illegal, but was in a jam as far as some paperwork to submit to get my "REAL ID" (long story, but I don't have W-2 forms with my SS on it, so had to improvise!)--the new Federal recognized California Driver License. I'm assuming most States are going to this. One has to have this "special" driver's license/ID to get on planes in 2020 and Federal buildings. My point is: DMV, office (cuz you draw a number at the DMV and takes forever), DMV, PT, and then ran out of time to get my new photo taken; will wait in line for that tomorrow.

I think both our PT's are on the same page. We went over a couple more exercises/stretches and a few other things; namely, yes, walk, but don't push it too hard. He wasn't pushing me to after-homecare PT as he knows I'm out of pocket on that. Real decent guy, he likes our dogs. And, he has a host of other more "difficult" patients so he likes to work me in with the problem patients each visit--he got a new "whopper" I guess this week, new patient.

Keep in mind Blue, "think" about that limp, I do. That's another thing my PT and I discussed, the limping thing. I mentioned when I am cane free I sometimes limp, but then am conscious about the limp. I'm not limping cuz of the hip, that's been taken care of...I'm limping or starting to limp cuz of the leg/surgery thing. When I think about that, I tend to straighten up and make a concerted effort to not limp--it's mind over matter to some extent; think "no limp" and you won't limp. That doesn't mean rolling out of bed, getting out of a chair, etc., that I don't have a limp for the first few steps. And I also refer to things on my operated leg/hip as discomfort, not PAIN. Pain is why I went into this whole ordeal to begin with. Maybe it's just nomenclature, but it makes me more comfortable if I refer to the recovery as "uncomfortable" instead of "pain."

And peeing; don't get me started! Did I get a prostate problem with my hip surgery? Fortunately I'm not up at all hours of the night, but early to take a pee, let the dogs out (who let the dawgs out?), take meds, and like two hours later I gotta take a water again--strike that up in part to meds I guess.

Kathy, those dang dogs require me to be attentive to them, which I think is good for me! Daughter and wife leave for Paris tomorrow (I'm taking them to airport--wife's work) so I will be on my own with them (and the kat) for about 10 days. Son would come up to stay with me, but I'm like, no, but thank you, this isn't a vacation, but nice that I won't have movement all throughout the house. And yes, what is with the Turkey-adoption thing?

Otis, I agree with your PT, see above!

Prairie, I think you are doing well! Just keep hangin' in there! I feel like I had a little setback today. Nothing earth shattering, but still. What did I do? Put on socks! I successfully did that yesterday with a lot of effort and did the same today (with the same socks as they were "broken in"), but more of a stretch/strain to do that this morning. I could feel it in my upper leg and thinking the discomfort is good right, working those muscles? Ouch, a little tender today. I don't think it was anything I have done the last couple/few days. I iced last night, felt good this morn taking a pee, letting the dogs out/in, swallowing some meds...it was only after finally getting socks on that it caught up with me. Again, don't wanna write "pain," but certainly some discomfort. Also, this is the first day I have worn "regular" pants with belt as opposed to sweatpants-like leggings (hey, I had to make an appearance at the DMV!).

It's all good, no hip pain!!!

Hi @Wayfarer :wave:
I noticed on another's thread you're caneless. Congrats! It's a great feeling.
I still recall how excited I was moving from the walker to the cane. Then losing the cane was even better.
Surely you've noticed heel-toe walking discussed here. But just in case you haven't, try it.
Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. It felt strange to me at first but concentrating on your steps makes such a difference as your gait changes from that sloppy mess most of us were pre-op. Guess I should speak for myself. :heehee:
I hope you have a great Sunday! :)

Hi Layla, I’m figuring I will just post in my thread, starting once a week. So the cane thing will be a...uh...milestone in some respects. Had a pretty busy day today, so I may need my walker tomorrow! :scare:

That’s why a weekly update is better: peeps only have to read my drivel once a week. I can then pollinate other threads with day experiences or other things—still drivel, just not in my thread. :snork:

IMG_8329.JPG @Wayfarer Sounds like you will have your hands full taking care of yourself, your Golden and Flat Coated Retrievers and the cat while your wife and daughter are away.:kitty::dogsniff: . Our Golden from Istanbul is not such a rare thing these days. Quite a few rescues of various breeds are coming from South Korea, China, Turkey, etc.
We had applied with several rescue groups and after waiting a couple of months we saw our boy listed with a group to which we had not applied. I called the foster parents and the next day we drove about an hour, met Dody and took him home. Dody was fortunate to have been dropped at a shelter in Istanbul. Many of the rescue dogs in Turkey are found roaming and fending for themselves in the forest after being turned loose by their owners.:sad: US rescue groups have contacts in foreign countries and coordinate with them to bring these dogs to the states. It is amazing how the whole process works and how dedicated these rescue groups are. Photo shows Golden, Boarder Collie and Basset Hound rescues being brought to the US.

I still recall how excited I was moving from the walker to the cane. Then losing the cane was even better.
Surely you've noticed heel-toe walking discussed here. But just in case you haven't, try it.
Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. It felt strange to me at first but concentrating on your steps makes such a difference as your gait changes from that sloppy mess most of us were pre-op. Guess I should speak for myself.

Wayfarer, I to may join you with using a walker tomorrow or ODIC. LOL. Today was almost 70 degrees and just a beautiful day. I just had to be outside working on odds and ends. Left my house early and decided to go to Home Depot and then paint baseboards for a garage project. I did not attempt to install them, but It sure felt good cutting and painting them on sawhorses along with working on cleaning my workshop. Even had a couple beers while doing so:cheers:. A very good day of some normalcy back in my life. Will see how I feel tomorrow.

Layla, I really have made that concentrated effort you have mentioned walking heel /toe without my cane although I still use it a good 75% of the time. It definitely helps to think about it while walking or I would just shuffle the left foot landing on the ball of the foot as I did pre-surgery. I still have a limp but less than before surgery.
So good to be pain free!

Getting back to life without that horrid neverending pain is worth all of this...
You seem to be doing very well!
Please do stay patient...don't want you to hit the ODIC.
I've been there...no fun.
Hope this week sees things getting even better!

Three weeks! Layla caught on I was going for an off-the-cane-weekend, obviously I wanted to be the first to write that, but c'est la vie. :rotfl:

Well the weeks are starting to run together. Last week was kinda the same ol' same ol', but obviously a little different. Knew I might be off the cane, but not sure. Got the ladies off to Paris, namely for Ms. Wayfarer's work, daughter's Xmas present--flight to Paris--we could have used FF Miles, but the ticket (winter) was cheap. So running on my own with the dawgs and son checking in. Got through the week with meds at wake up, then getting the dogs in and out, up myself, shower, and moving on with the day. Not too much in a hurry to get to work and the rest of the day; I have that freedom which I am thankful for.

Saturday was kinda going to be a big day; needed to attend a uni couple's dad's (hers) memorial. I was early to the area, but late to venue, longish story. Anyway, got to the memorial, but no seats so I dreaded standing for the hour ceremony; actually did okay (not great) with standing...there was a seat or two, but figured those could go to those that REALLY need some help. Managed all this without the cane even though the cane was in the truck. A meal reception afterwards, a couple beers, catching up with some extended family of my friends, a meal, and I was done, probably not as much as the grieving where there was a funeral the day before. Got all around without the cane, but it (the cane) was around.

Sunday was an Australian Open (recorded from the night before) filled morning with the dogs--they seem to be able to follow and track the ball across the telie. Went out to the market to get ingredients to cook my famous (in my household) chili and work on the pool which isn't too much work in the winter but needed attention and did some wash--I do my wash at the pool house which is stairs and moving around the landscape, which is good for my PT!

Woke up this morning, Monday, slowwwwwwwwwwwwwly, not in pain (I use the term discomfort now), but takin' 'er slow, not so much from overworking over the weekend, but perhaps being off most the drugs--another three-week marker. Quit after Saturday morning (feeling a bit "out of it" driving the 30 minutes to the memorial--not recklessly so, just a bit "off") off of most prescribed drugs: oxy and the extra-strength Tylenol. Still, and will, take the Meloxicam once a day till that script runs out, baby aspirin and stool softener twice a day.

Finding a bit more aches and pain...errrrr...discomfort since being off the prescribed meds. No worries, I have to keep reminding myself that any discomfort I feel is WAY better than the pain, yes pain, I was feeling pre-op (at you Mojo!). Cane is gone, not even sure where it is. Still stiff when I get up after sitting for a spell, but can generally "walk it off" with a few steps and standing.

Kathy, love it! And that looks like the Shanghai airport (the Pudong airport) if I'm not mistaken. I know it well, go there a couple times a year. I'm (we're) not caught up in the adopt a dog thing per se, but it amazes me people adopt outside the country; I think it's great, just not on our radar.

Blue, Blue-man, the Bluester, when I read "baseboard" I'm like no way are you actually installing them; you confirmed that! Yeah, even in my office, I will stand to do some tasks instead of sitting all the time (not that I sit all the time, mind). Ms. Wayfarer wanted an accent wall painted in our open floor plan upstairs living area and I'm like, no problem, just pick out a color and I will get that done PRE-SURGERY! The wall isn't painted and is still Dunn-Edwards Arabian Red. Not sure when I can make that "offer" again. But did, like I wrote above, work on the pool on Sunday; Ms. Wayfarer will say the lagoon or swamp!

Great update, sounds like you are doing really well. I wonder if taking some regular doses of tylenol might be an idea?
I agree that could be Pudong airport. We lived in Shanghai (Pudong side) for almost 6 years on our last overseas assignment so got to know that airport very well :) I noticed that you do fairly regular trips to China in some other posts. Hopefully, you won't need to endure a long flight like that for a good while yet!
:flwrysmile:

Happy Tuesday to you :wave:
I'd say standing unassisted at a memorial for a full hour 19 days post op is pretty good.
I'd consider Tylenol also on the days you're feeling a lot of discomfort.
You're recovery is going really well it seems, @Wayfarer you're lucky, or blessed, or both, lol.
Hope you have a good one!

Thanks Layla, I'm starting my "loop" walk with the dogs (first time today), about 5/8th's of a mile (according to my neighbor who stopped on the street while I was walking, he does the same loop with his dog each morning and knew the distance from his experience). Went pretty well, and I hope I can keep this up each day. A little sore, but sat around the house for a bit and bite to eat and seemed fine as I left for a half day of work around noon. I suspect I may need a little help (Tylenol) perhaps if some discomfort comes of repeated walks; I'm trying to get in a routine where the latter is challenging--I don't think it's ADHD. :heehee: Re Tylenol: that really did nothing for me pre-surgery and relied on Ibuprofen (non-nsaid vs nsaid) which I don't like to take, longish story. Not for my non-hip pain, but discomfort from the surgery, it seems to be helping!

Carrie, in six years you must have seen a lot of changes on that side of the river, Pudong area. I still remember arriving and leaving the Hongqiao airport decades ago; have been in that airport for some domestic flights not too long ago--sometimes right after landing in Pudong, taking the inter-airport bus the hour or so ride to get there. Yeah, will see how that flight goes! Usually go in the month of February, but will probably push that off to March or April, will see...could even hold off till September when I usually go for a second trip. Still not as long as going to Australia where Ms. Wayfarer is from originally!

Great progress with the walks. At not even three weeks post op you're doing so well.
Please don't push it. It's tempting, but I'd hate to see you suffer a set back when your recovery is progressing so nicely.

It's so frigid here in the Upper MidWest today that you'd only walk outdoors if you were a little cuckoo.
Warnings abound about how frostbite can occur within 5 mins on exposed flesh. It's crazy cold. But today's high of -18 will be history by the weekend. Thankfully!

Enjoy the walks with your furry friends and have a nice evening!
@Wayfarer

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back