THR Ginny's Recovery Thread (LTHR)

I agree with all of the above, @Ginny12 ! And I think that mindfulness means acceptance and gratitude, in equal measure, and living one's life in the moment. I've lost both of my parents and I do think that this brings on thoughts about one's own mortality and the need to live life fully and in a way that is meaningful to YOU. I would also point out that this is a great aspiration going forward, but it doesn't mean you won't get frustrated, angry or other negative responses to what's going on in your life. I think, at least for me, trying to practice patience and to see the humor in life is critical. I am probably most critical of myself, and learning to be a bit more understanding and accepting of myself and the aging process is a key goal going forward.

I am very happy for you, that your recovery has gone so well--hurray, hurray, HURRAY--and while I am sure your focus right now is on your mother as she's winding down her life, I hope you continue to take good care of yourself. I, too, worry about stiffness and whether or not it's permanent (I'm an "old lady" now) or simply something that needs to be worked on and will benefit from continued, although slow and measured, movement. We are all a work in progress, don't forget, and nothing is written in stone about your recovery. I am super impressed that you are able to walk three miles on uneven ground! I did a 3 mile walk on new year's day and, oh, I paid for it the next day or two! Keep up the good work, and sending positive thoughts and hugs your way as you deal with the sad situation with your mother. I am glad your sister is there, too. Family is so important at a time like this.

Dear Friends,

General update at 11 weeks:

Just seen the hospital PT. He said that my stiffness was improving and considerably better than our last consultation on the 18th December. In a previous post i may have caused some concern to my fellow BS's (@SurreyGirl ) when i recounted what an OS had said about pre op stiffness being a problem post op if one left the surgery too long. It is interesting because i decided not to have surgery with this OS because he kept saying how small i was and how difficult it would be to find an implant to fit. Even tho i knew he was a good surgeon i just did not feel confident with him. He was the one who said about the stiffness and lots of other problems i could have. I realize that one has to be given information to make informed consent but i actually felt even more frightened having surgery with him when he was evidently so unsure of the outcome. I am 5ft and slim so there must be loads of older (smaller) ladies than me and children who have the surgery with no bother.

Now i am not saying all this to bad mouth him but rather to illustrate the point of the importance of having confidence in the surgeon. When i met my OS i immediately knew he was the boy for me. When i asked if my size was a problem he looked at me in an odd way and said no quite the reverse. I think that this point is equally valid if a person is a bit overweight too, it is not the weight that is the problem in my opinion, it is that that particular surgeon speaks out loud their anxieties which we as patients absorb. I am not saying that a OS pretends everything will be fine, but rather bottom line is some OS are better than others.

So what am i getting at? The above is really aimed at anybody reading this post who has not had their surgery yet. If at all possible pick an OS that inspires confidence and hope. Now i live in the UK so i know how the NHS is under severe pressure and this is not so easy to do!!!!!

Scar Shield:

I bought a bottle ages ago and then promptly forgot to apply it to my wound. The wound is about 3 and a half inches long. The wound appears to have healed very well.

About 3 weeks ago i had put an ice pack on my ankle ( swelling after new insoles) but did not notice that part of the cover had fallen off. So i sustained a nasty ice burn about 6 inches long. Apart from being annoyed with myself for administering yet another self inflicted injury i thought that this would be a good opportunity to try the Scar Shield. I also decided to do a mini experiment and only put it on half the burn. The results have been excellent. On the half of the burn on which i applied the Scar Shield the burn has healed considerably. So much
so that i have started applying it to the other half as i have proven to myself it does work. I am also putting it on my wound a couple of times a day. I am not great at uploading pictures but with try and get some photos in the future. I have ordered another 2 bottles. It is excellent value for money, BUT, for anybody in the UK the postage can cost more than the product. Personally i think the product is worth paying extra for.

As always i wish everybody well.

Ginny x

Great post! @Ginny12
You're doing so well! It's great to hear. You made a good point about having confidence in your surgeon.
I'm happy to read how well the Scar Shield is working for you. Thank you for sharing that information!
Wishing you comfort, strength and peace of mind as you continue on your healing journey and spend time with your dear mom.
Hugs

Thanks for the reassuring post and glad you found a surgeon you are confident in! Wish I had a 3.5 inch scar to deal with rather than 12 inches!

Might have to give scarshiekd a try. I used a similar product bough from my local pharmacy but it is very expensive for a small tube that only lasts a week on a scar so long. Resorted to e45 cream and ok.

Dear Friends,

This will be my last post for a while due to family commitments.

Odd bits that i hope provide encouragement:

Before the op my left thigh and buttock muscles had basically withered away. Especially my leg muscles, at 11 weeks post op to my complete amazement these muscles have nearly grown back. My legs look the same and now if i put my jeans on the denim is not hanging loose on the left leg. My leg was withered for over 5 years. How amazing is the human body given the right circumstances!

I took BoneSmarts advice and did not do much physio in the first 6 weeks. I did do some gentle movements and commenced walking as soon as able. I felt conflicted doing little exercise as it went against PT advice but i kept reading about people running into problems doing too much. I think this issue is very hard to get right but i kept thinking the body needs to heal plus i am a total wimp and was too frightened to push things re PT. This seems to have worked for me so far.

I think try and embrace the benefits of early stage recovery! I realize this may annoy some people (apologies i do not mean any disrespect) and for a naturally lazy person like me easier, but when else can one lie in bed, get waited on (hopefully) and watch telly and read without guilt?

Anybody who has read my posts (especially the pre-op ones) will be aware of my anxiety issues. Anxiety is a long term (ongoing) issue for me but it went off the chart before the op. What i did not really comprehend was how much physical pain and disability kept me very stuck and unable to try and grow as a person. Again this post is mainly aimed at anybody not sure and thinking about surgery. The benefits are not just physical ones whole outlook can be transformed for the better.

I know mine has.

Ginny x

What i did not really comprehend was how much physical pain and disability kept me very stuck and unable to try and grow as a person.
This post right here? This is some wisdom, folks. I never considered myself anxious prior to the first hip's surgery, but afterwards I was shocked at how all my new flexibility and endurance affected me mentally, both creatively and in overall attitude!

Now maybe once this latest hip kicks in I'll finally be able to remember names....

Well said...and well done Ginny.:ok:
Wishing you all the best and please do pop back through when you are able. Hugs...:loveshwr:

Thanks for sharing your insight, Ginny.
Wishing you comfort as you spend time away with family. We're here for you...
Hope your day and weekend is peaceful.
@Ginny12

Hang in there, @Ginny12. You are a quiet and humble source of strength for your family, I'm guessing, and it's right that now you are turning your full attention to them during this difficult time. You may be small (wow, 5' and slim, you are very petite!) but you pack a punch in terms of your impact on so many. Just make sure you also pay attention to yourself and your own needs. You are recovering and taking care of yourself means that you will have the energy and strength to be there for your family. Hugs.

Hi,

General update:

I am just coming up to 13 weeks post op. I feel that i am doing very well overall. Walking well. I do not have a limp but the operated leg is slightly stiff, however, this is gradually improving. I walk my dog at least twice a day for 1-2 mile walks which we both enjoy. For this i am so grateful. I find it so strange how we humans adapt so quickly to our circumstances (good or bad) because now it feels completely normal to go for a walk, were as for years i had to plan very carefully and pace myself or get a nasty flare up of pain.

I am not posting much as my Mum remains ill, but stabilized, so family stuff takes up a lot of my time.

I wish everybody the very best in their health journey and remain very grateful to be a member of this wonderful forum.

Ginny x

:wave:Thank heavens for being able to walk without the excruciating pain...I'm with you girl.
I hate that you have so much to contend with while so early on in recovery...but don't it with a Bad hip would certainly be worse!
Take care of yourself too..we are thinking of you and wishing you all the best!:friends:

Its nice to read how THR has improved your life, Ginny.
I'm sure those pain free walks help with your mood also given the stress you must be under with your dear mom. Prayers for your moms comfort as well as comfort and strength for you all as you care for her.
Stay in touch, we'll be here.
Hugs :console2:
@Ginny12

Good morning, @Ginny12. Nice to hear that your recovery continues well and you're able to get out for regular daily walks with your dog--good for you both physically and emotionally, I'm guessing. Despite residual stiffness, which I'm guessing will fade with time and continued sensible exercise, it sounds like your hip is healing and doing well. I am sure it's hard with the stress of your mother's illness and all the focus on family matters, but if you're able to get out for daily walks, at least you have small breaks during your busy day to just focus on yourself. That's great. Thinking of you this morning, and wishing you well.

Hello @Ginny12 . I saw you had dropped in to like one of my posts so I came to catch up with your thread. I’m glad I did because there is much wisdom here. I will take some helpful thoughts away to ponder on. Sending you warm wishes.

Hi @Ginny12, so glad your recovery is going well, and the stiffness is going, slowly but surely. Good that your Mum is stable. Saying a prayer for her comfort. Hard to deal with both your hip recovery and your Mum's serious illness. :console2:

Hi Friends,

General update at 14 weeks:

With my mum being unwell and me spending a lot of time with her i have not been driving much. I was supposed to be going back to work this week so i thought i better get some driving under my belt. All that was last week and after my first long drive i could hardly walk on the operated leg, (leg to change gears). The discomfort/pain was pretty intense. I did not panic too much as it seemed clear what has happened. Fortunately my physio saw me and confirmed that it was muscle not a structural problem. Needs lots of rest. Work not pleased!!!! Nor my dog!

It was such a shock as all the memories of not being able to walk flooded back and how i had been getting used to walking well. I had never for one second taken this for granted but it's a good reminder to me how things in life can change in a flash. It is slowly improving and my physio said this could take several weeks.

One of my big things pre-op was revulsion (and yes i mean that word) at the thought of having a foreign object in my body and my shame of having this surgery so young. Well i know realize that i am actually getting on a bit compared to some of my fellow BoneSmarties. And what was the shame all about? I am fed up analyzing myself (for now) but i just want to report that the above negative feelings soon go away when one can walk and not in pain.

Apart from this little setback i feel that i am doing very well and i am so pleased now that i got over myself and had the surgery.

I wish everybody well.

Ginny x

Hi Ginny!:flwrysmile:
So glad to see you on the forum..but hate that you were forced to enter the dreaded ODIC (Over Did It Club)
I know there were not alot of choices on your part, but it IS one of the reasons we stress that the first months slow and easy way to recover.
It Can take some time to get back on track once things get aggravated.
Might want to check this out.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tendinitis-an-explanation.51325/

I do hope you take it as easy as possible.:yes:

I just Know you are going to be happy for this surgery and I'm sending good mojo your way!:friends:

@Mojo333

Thank you for your lovely post and the link. I have just watched it and very useful/easy to understand. Thanks for being you!

My main issue at the moment is that my sister (who has more than enough to do already) will have to take over looking after our mum. But such is life one makes plans and the Gods laugh...

I am very aware most people have things/life much harder than me. Again this enforced rest will be easier for me than the average person as lots of books calling my name to be read.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back