TKR low energy months past TKR

thanks Kneeper.

I googled acetopminophen and read that "it's completely safe for the stomach". So that's my go-to pain med now.

oops sorry, acetaminophren--however that's spelled.
I thought you menat that, butI had to be sure. Acetaminophen is the generic name for Tylenol. In the UK, its equivalent is Paracetamol.

It's a much better pain-reliever than ibuprofen, which is basically an anti-inflammatory - and it si kinder on the stomach.

The safe dose for Acetaminophen/Tylenol/Paracetamol is 4,000 mg in 24 hours, divided into 4 equal doses of 1,000 mg each time, and taken 4-6-hourly. If you take it 4-hourly, make sure you still only take 4 doses in each 24 hours.
To stay within the safe limits of 4,000 mg in 24 hours, you also need to check that there is no Acetaminophen in any other medications you take, such as cold cures.

today I was going to go on a nice walk in the woods that I've been able to start doing recently. But today is really cold and for maybe that reason (???) my knee is achy. So I forewent the walk. Normally I would ice the knee for this achyness--not quite pain--but if cold weather is causing the ache...will icing help? that's a real, not rhetorical, question.

--bewildered in Berkeley

Last edited:
Normally I would ice the knee for this achyness--not quite pain--but if cold weather is causing the ache...will icing help?
I found the same thing and it left me :scratch:. Icing felt so good, but cold air hurt. Some of the worst pain I had on an already healed knee was here in Virginia when we had the unheard of, record breaking low of -13*F. I had to go out and fill up the outdoor wood heater. It only took about 10 minutes. That cold penetrated all the way into the implant, of at least felt it like it!, and it took a couple of hours for the pain to stop.

--but if cold weather is causing the ache...will icing help? that's a real, not rhetorical, question.
Good question! My knee despises cold weather!

Thanks for the replies. My last question about all this is: if the cold is causing the ache, would a walk in the woods really not make things any worse and maybe help if it warms up my knee? Probably the answer is: I have to try it and see. Everyone's different. But maybe others have experience with this too.

Anyway tomorrow I'm back to wearing long johns one way or the other. My normal procedure is to not stress my knee when it's barking.

I've started wearing a compression sleeve when I'm on my feet for any length of time. Not sure if that's good for everyone, but it's helping me. And I don't wear it all the time. Maybe 30-40 minutes at the most.
I have a great walking path (paved) through the woods behind my apartment. On good days I've ventured a little down the path, but mindful that I have to walk back. Don't know til you try.

My normal procedure is to not stress my knee when it's barking.
I love that description! I think you are correct, you'll just have to try and see if the walking does help warm you knee up. I know that if we have that below zero temperature again, I'm wearing leg warmers on top of all my other clothes!

I've started wearing a compression sleeve when I'm on my feet for any length of time. Not sure if that's good for everyone, but it's helping me. And I don't wear it all the time. Maybe 30-40 minutes at the most.

This morning I pulled out my old super duper Bauerfiende knee sleeve/support with stays to wear for its warmth. But now I wonder if the compression won't be a good thing too. Beachy, it's interesting that you limit the time worn. Is there a rationale? Maybe I need to go back to long john's just for warmth?

I think that I'll try the walk today with the sleeve on and see how things go.

I find that wearing the compression stocking or a sleeve is comfortable for long days at work or when I plan to be on my feet for a long time. I haven't had any negative effects from it.

I wear it when I'm out and about. in and out of car running little errands. Usually about 30-40 min. or longer. Not all day. I'm usually icing when I'm home and being good lol. I just got so I'm experimenting.

Hi folks; it's been a while since I posted and I thought that I'd check in. My recovery is going well, i think. I'm back at work and on and off my feet there quite a bit. I've negotiated a four hour day for a little longer. I find that I need to ice when I get home and nap if I work for five hours or longer. Four hours is better--though I still need to ice.

I take acetominophren before bed and ice to fall asleep. Then, during the night once or twice I need to ice again--especially towards morning. But once up, I find that I don't need any acetominophren, usually. However, I often take ibuprofen or acetominephrin sometime during the day now that I'm back at work. My stomach isn't all that happy with this.

I'm just at three months post op. I do walk a fair bit--at work and grocery shopping. does this level of pain at night seem 'normal'-ish for three months post op? I'm guessing so.

Also: my gait is good--no real limp unless I'm tired. But I haven't been doing much pt at all. today I was at the gym and hit the recumbent bike. I can get all the way around going both ways but it's slow. I haven't made much progress on this. I'm nervous about going for more than a few minutes. My knee hasn't barked back at me so far post-bike; if tonight the pain level is normal I'm going to start working on the bike more going forward. The dreaded three month due date has arrived and I'm lagging a bit on my ROM!

The dreaded three month due date has arrived and I'm lagging a bit on my ROM!
That three month date is just that, a date on a calendar. Your knee doesn’t know what our paper calendar is. All your knee knows is it’s own time frame of healing.

We all heal at different rates. Some of that healing rate is related to how much the surgeon had to do inside our knee.

You are right where you should be at this time. And where you are now is not where you will end up.

Continue what you’re doing, you are right to ice and rest, and that’s wonderful that you were able to keep a short day at work. That is a blessing many don’t get.

Thanks Jockette. I guess I was wondering if others typically still need to ice during the night at three months out. Realizing that 'typical' is a moving target.

I iced until I was 6 months.

@hegel

For my last knee, I iced regularly (and quite often) until around four months because I needed the pain control.

I iced more occasionally after four months, but did continue to do so for occasional pain.

The icing dropped off naturally when it stopped feeling good. It started to be kind of uncomfortable and feel too cold as the swelling and pain left.

I often take ibuprofen or acetominephrin sometime during the day now that I'm back at work. My stomach isn't all that happy with this.
I take a probiotic and a generic 24 hour antacid for my tummy. They might help your tummy distress.

Thanks all three! It's good to know that I'm within a typical range. Sistersinhim, I just started a round of prilosec, which helped a couple of weeks ago. My stomach's not terrible, but like my knee, often seems worst at four in the a.m.

By the way, I went to the gym today and found that it was the easiest yet getting my feet around on the bike! I'm sorta jazzed! I can see going back to using the bike for aerobic exercise again in the near future. i'm home an icing as I write however--no biggie!

--Jeff

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom