THR Second THR complete!

Was definitely a good night, and I had a great time. :)

@MrDIY who are you going to see? As for The Damned, they are one of the original punk bands - still going strong. A very eclectic range of sounds over the years, so its a really nice variety of music to put on a playlist. (The Black Album is my favorite).

Joe Bonamassa, My oldest plays guitar and has been getting into SRV so I think he will really enjoy this show.

I liked a lot of the songs on the Apple Music playlist, but only recognized Smash it Up.
I will check out the Black Album!

@dlp I think you used to live in Ypsilanti area, right? Last Friday my husband and I saw the Verve Pipe at the Ark in Ann Arbor (very small intimate venue). Excellent show. My 19 yo daughter was curious, but didn't recognize any of their work, even "Freshmen." I hadn't been to a concert like that in forever, but for $25 it was priceless.

Ha - I did live in Ypsilanti until about 4 years ago. I know The Ark very well - been seeing concerts there since it was in the old location at the South Main Market space. Last show I saw there was Billy Bragg around 2012 or 2013. Great little venue, and a great intimate place to see a band like Verve Pipe. Hope your daughter enjoyed it. For a lot of bands these days, live shows are about the only way they can make a living. "Support Live Music" is something I try to do every chance I get :)

Joe Bonamassa, My oldest plays guitar and has been getting into SRV so I think he will really enjoy this show.
I liked a lot of the songs on the Apple Music playlist, but only recognized Smash it Up.
I will check out the Black Album!

Machine Gun Etiquette is a good one for some rip-roaring tunes, too! (Includes Smash It Up). Bonamassa is a good player. I only really know him from Black Country Communion, though. Definitely bluesy, like SRV.

Cool to see families doing the live music thing together. When I was growing up, I really couldn't get into my parents music. Never really disliked it, but didn't appreciate it until I was older. I was a new wave/punk/metal head and still am. Several family members, upon finding out the types of music and bands I like, have asked "What happened to you - you used to be such a good kid!". Apparently me visiting them didn't fulfill the definition of a good kid! :what: :)

Happy Four Month Hipversary!
Hope all is getting back to Good.
Onward:yahoo:

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well.
Enjoy the weekend and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
@dlp

All this info is quite helpful. I’ll be going in for a second THR on 12/4, the first one was 3 months ago. Culprit....osteoarthritis. I’ll be going out patient this time as opposed to staying in the hospital, the wait was far shorter that way. I hope you’re feeling better each day, and the pain has eased. I’m not looking forward to those first few weeks of recovery, but I do look forward to the posssibility of moving without pain!

dlp, how long of a recovery did you need before you returned to work? I saw Josephine's link on
Phased return to work https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/phased-return-to-work.5696/
If you could work from home then it seems you could be back to work the 1st week?
I am thinking how to handle my time off from work. Should I take PTO for the surgery and recovery? How many days? How soon can I be back to work?

If you could work from home then it seems you could be back to work the 1st week?
Brain fog is common, right @dlp ?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

I am thinking how to handle my time off from work. Should I take PTO for the surgery and recovery? How many days? How soon can I be back to work?
@SelfHelp I work from home and took 2 full weeks off after my THR and then started back 1/2 time for another 2 weeks. I had a very easy recovery and while in hindsight I probably could have done some work after a week, I'm glad I didn't. You need to time to focus on recovery, and everything you need to do just takes a little longer, like going to the bathroom, getting dressed, etc. Don't stress yourself by rushing back to work, even at home, if you don't need to.

Thanks for your advice, jaydub63. I remember reading that going back to work sooner than later helps take your mind off the new hip and the healing process. I would not start work until I was off meds and felt I had a clear mind.

Hi all - Thanks for the 4 month check in. No complaints here. Just spent a week in the freezing cold of Michigan to visit family. Reminded me how much I hate the cold, and how glad I am to live in NorCal now :) Psoas still gets a bit tight at times, but working with my physical therapist to get it back into shape - along with a few of the other muscles that are a bit weaker after the surgery. Feeling great overall though.

@SelfHelp I took off 6 weeks for both surgeries because I'm lucky enough that I could. Have great benefits, including short-term disability that pays full salary, so 6 weeks was no problem other than all of the stuff waiting for me, including 6 weeks of new stuff. :gaah:
@Mojo333 is right about brain fog - don't know how it hits everyone, but I found that I didn't really have a lot of focus on things because of the medications. Add in that feeling of exhaustion with just small amounts of effort, and it can make concentrating on something like work a challenge.

My second surgery went easier than my first. I stopped taking meds around week 4 and even though I thought "I could probably go back to work about now", I'm glad I didn't. Everyone's recovery will be different, so I'm hesitant to tell you that just a few weeks is enough. For me, 6 worked out to be just about right. But I know not everyone has the luxury of taking that - or a longer - amount of time.

My employer offers Disability Insurance, Short-Term Disability - 75% of your pay for the first 90 days, taxable income. I am inclined to take 2 weeks PTO at full pay and then work from home. Blame it on Bay Area cost of living.

Last edited:
I’ll weigh in on this: after first THR ON LEFT, I RETURNED TO WORK AFTER 6 weeks because I felt I needed to. I’m a high school English Teacher. So I missed 6 weeks at the start of the year, and now I need to go out again , 3 months later, suddenly, for the right hip. I plan on going back in 6 weeks. Short term disability is protection. Six weeks is soon, when I’d come home I was / am useless, but during the day it was energizing. My employers are great, so far. I’m fortunate. Best to everyone trying to figure out the work/recovery situation....it’s a slippery slope.

Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe I am delusional, expecting to be ready to work after 2 weeks of recovery.

Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe I am delusional, expecting to be ready to work after 2 weeks of recovery.

More like "optimistic" :) If you can take the time, do it. I love my job, but I'm glad I took the time off to take care of me. And I felt much more ready to tackle the pile of work that was still there waiting for me when I got back.

Good luck!

:wave: and glad to know all seems to be going well with you.
Smiling to see you have updated your warm and fuzzy avatar to portray the upcoming holiday season:nah:
Hope your weekend is restful and happy.:)

Hi dlp,
I hope you had a nice Christmas and you're enjoying January in sunny CA.
Pretty gloomy in the Upper Midwest today but could be a lot colder than the mid-thirties we're experiencing. How are you doing at close to six months post op with, Righty? With any luck...better than your first recovery.
Wishing you a happy, healthy 2019!
@dlp

Happy 2019! Thanks for checking in.

Recovery zooming right along. Psoas still taking it's sweet time getting back to 100%, but in day to day activity it hasn't really been a concern. Just need to get back its stamina.

Had a slight scare about 2 weeks ago where I pulled something on my left side. I was pretty sure it wasn't anything major. It only really hurt for about a day, but I decided to check in the with surgeon's office just in case. I'll be heading to Korea for work next week and wanted to be sure nothing would be a surprise while I was travelling. They had me come in for X-rays just to be safe.

Got the all clear, but it was a bit funny to hear the PA say "No sign of any real trouble - the hardware looks great!" Hardware, eh? I'll take it, though, since it looks great ;)

:wave:
Was happy to see your post!

I am glad the Hardware is good and I can honestly say that I have less trouble from year and half till now..causing my hips trouble.
That is to say, that even at one year, if I had an over active day at work..I knew there was going to be aches and discomfort.
Now, I am not finding that to be so.
Stay safe on your trip...
I haven't travelled by air yet, so don't know what double hippy security looks like:unsure:
Do pop in and let us know how you are when able.:yes:

Thanks for the update. Nice to hear from you!
Sorry about the scare, it's great to hear all looks well, especially with international travel next week, as you mentioned. I hope you're able to enjoy some R&R aside from work while there. Let us know how the travel goes. I too am interested and have yet to board a plane post op.
Safe travels to Korea!
@dlp

I can tell you my flying experience at Detroit and San Francisco using TSA-PreCheck. Both metal detectors detected the "hardware" ;) and the usual suggestion from TSA was to go through the body scanners. No Thank You -- I barely want qualified techs in medical facilities using radiation devices on me. So I opted for the additional screening/patdowns instead. As slightly intrusive as it is, both times the screener was professional and pleasant.

I expect that on super busy days, the wait for the extra screening might negate the time I save from the PreCheck line, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to accept. I'll let you know how it goes when departing Seoul from Incheon airport :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom