TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

That is heart breaking. I don’t even....that poor soul.
Hopefully she will find a way that works for her and perhaps made a new friend.

How is the pool going for you? Ready to take on Michael Phelps yet??

The pool is good! Today I worked a little harder than I have been, but I'm feeling so good right now. No pain at all and a nine hour sleep last night! :happydance:So I came home and iced & elevated. Going to a movie later and then dinner. Wednesday's are big for me LOL. The pool exercises at physio include just walking across front, back, sideways, lunges (which I hate and won't do many), squats, hamstring curl, and a bunch that I don't do because they're for hips. I can easily do these on my own and will be. I'm eager to restart my Y therapy pool sessions. I can make them as gentle as I like and I love the camaraderie. Also, I went to Weight Watchers this morning and I am down 2.1 lbs!! I have almost lost the 4 lbs I gained while I was down for the count.
As for the poor woman in the pool, not much I can do about that. Every one I've told about Bonesmart looks at me like I've got two heads. The culture of 'no pain, no gain' is alive and well in my town! Life continues to be good for me.

You’re doing so well! Listening to your knee and letting it guide you appears to be paying dividends.

That poor lady with the MUA. It’s sad that she’s feeling worse now and dealing with so much pain.

Today was my last day in the hospital pool. I will greatly miss the very warm water - really it was like a bath! As planned I went to the rehab after to be assessed by Lauren, who was quite good. Lauren was not there so I was assigned someone else . While waiting for her I went on the bicycle and to my utter surprise and delight I was able to do full rotations backwards and then forwards. How thrilled was I??? I ended up doing two kilometres which I thought was enough for my first time. I was sitting on the bike when the new girl came and introduced herself. Alysha was very very young and seemed a little hesitant. We chatted for a minute then she eyeballs me leg and said 'Well you're definitely past 90'! I was quite excited about that! Then she said let's go measure you. I told her I did not want to be lying down for that. That was fine and she measured me at 100! OMG, that was beyond exciting and I blurted out how fantastic that was as three weeks ago was just at 83. So she measured me again and said I was 85! Not sure what prompted that. Was she worried that she would be found wanting in some way? Anyway, she asked if I was just going to continue on my own and I said yes. Thank goodness I don't have to go back there where all they ever did for me was make me feel bad about myself. My knee is not where it's going to be. I can't get out of the tub, I can't go down the stairs foot over foot. But I can go up the stairs, I have no pain, and every day I get a little better. I took my ice machine back today and I've ordered some wrap around things from Amazon. Life is good. Oh, and I saw a doctor yesterday and I do have a sinus infection. That's getting better too.

@grandma chris that is amazing!!! Congrats on the bike!!!! Can picture you now in next year’s Tour de France!
:upright:

I hate how subjective the measuring is. Without X-ray it’s all subjective on where the bones and joints are (esp in us naturally bubble wrapped individuals!)

Do NOT let anyone else be responsible for your happiness and successes. You are functioning and not having pain and improving all the time. It’s why you had TKR.

Can’t wait to see what’s next for you! :flwrysmile:

she measured me at 100! OMG, that was beyond exciting and I blurted out how fantastic that was as three weeks ago was just at 83. So she measured me again and said I was 85! Not sure what prompted that.
Exactly one of the reasons I won’t be going to PT next time. The PTs I had were always pleasant, but they did do some aggressive things. But when it was all said and done, mine didn’t do anything beneficial that I couldn’t have done at home.
But I can go up the stairs, I have no pain, and every day I get a little better
You are doing great and all those other things you want to do will come in time! :happydance:

What a thrill being able to drive again! Yay!! Enjoy that freedom!

I got the OK at 6 weeks, but waited until 7 weeks just to be sure I could do a fast stop. My first couple of times I had a friend with me just in case. I live about 25 minutes from the stores and church and wanted someone there if it was too far for me at first.

Congratulations! I have driven just started driving again too. It is thrilling and a positive step forward

I still get pain from driving, especially getting in and out of the car, so I am so impressed with your recovery!

That driving independence is such a thrill and proof that you're on the way to a normal life!

Today is my two month kneeversary! This is where I'm at: I have no knee pain at all, just stiffness from swelling. The swelling gets better sometimes and then comes back - it seems to have to do with my activities and whether or not I'm tired. Icing and elevating helps and I do that a lot. I ice three or four times a day for about 45 to 60 minutes. I elevate all the time when I'm sitting at home. I am sleeping in bed and elevating when I sleep - I generally get over 7 hours a night and last week I had a couple of 9 hour nights! My energy level is getting better all the time. I stopped taking any big pain meds at about 5 weeks. I have a wicked sinus infection right now so I'm taking extra strength tylenol with a decongestant to deal with that. I have arthritis in other joints in my body so I take one 200mg Celebrex daily and once this sinus infection is better I expect to continue taking two Tylenol for arthritis daily. My bend has been measured (once and for a short period!) at 100. I can go up the stairs foot over foot although slowly. I have tried coming downstairs foot over foot but I have to extend my operated leg out quite far and I don't imagine that is recommended! Every day it seems like my bend is a tiny bit better. I have stopped formal physio and will go to my local Y pool twice this week to work in the water. I will start at 30 minutes and see how I can increase that. I have an upcoming very long plane trip from Western Canada to Gran Canaria in March. We will be there for a month - basking in the beautiful sunshine and going up and down hundreds of stairs! I believe I will be okay for that trip. As always I am deeply grateful for Bonesmart and all I've learned about healing and protecting myself and my baby knee. You all rock :thankyou:

So glad to see you are doing so well. I hope my recovery progresses as well as yours!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back