TKR New Left Knee replacement

Congrats on the loss of your crutches and the gain of a skateboard! You're a regular Benjamin Button!

I don't have the guts to watch the surgery. Nice that you and your love took it in. Hopefully you can maximize on the sympathy and be catered to longer, now that she has seen the brutality of what you went through. My hubby still serves me breakfast in bed. That never happened before, so you can bet I'm going to keep that going for as long as I can!

Hi folks sorry I haven't been in sooner was getting a bit down about this slow recovery when for some reason half way through week 6 there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel and I have walked around to the suregery and the local co-op twice this week and it has felt ok with the aid of a crutch of course. I have tried to take it easy honest and there is a slight improvment with my sleeping habits.

Teecup thanks for the reply and glad to hear you man is spoiling you mines is poached eggs on toast if he is not to busy with a wee bit grated cheese yummy. Afraid the sympathy wasn't flowing maybe because I wound her up about it being much more painful than child birth :snork:.

Usually knees tend to feel a bit better in the 2nd month of recovery, but every knee is different. That first month is really about giving your leg time t heal from the surgery. Glad to hear you’re doing better.

Cheers KarriB was getting me slightly frustrated but I do feel better and decided I may not go to the Physio and persist with my own exercises and take it form there

Hi sisters in him for not getting back sooner I have decided to skip the physio, anyway a quick update my knee is slowly progressing and have seen improvement and I am now back driving. I still have my uncomfortable nights from time to time and the occassional sore day but usually my exercises help and still icing my knee. Down to one crutch now and going out to the shops from time to time. Go for my Outpatient Appointment on Tuesday so hoping I will get the ok to have a bath :egypdance:

I think you'll be fine going without physio. You can always go back if you feel the need. Driving is so freeing! Let us know how your appointment goes.

I think you'll be fine going without physio. Defo sistersinhim not going my outpatient appointment went absolutely fine and she was really happy with my progress now not using crutches and the asthroplasty told me some other exercises to do. To go back in two years to get my hip checked out as I have had it for eight years. Will be taking my equipment back as I feel I don't really need it. The sixty dollar question I forgot to ask was am i now allowed to have a bath.

Billy

The sixty dollar question I forgot to ask was am i now allowed to have a bath.
You should only have a bath if your incision is completely healed, with no open areas or scabs at all. It's OK to have a shower, but immersing your wound in water would be running the risk of introducing infection.

Before you have a bath, try a "dry run" with your clothes on, to make sure that you can get into and out of the bath.
It's much better to be rescued from the bath while you're fully clothed and dry than when you're naked and wet.

Hi folks still trying to remember my exercises and now out for short walks with the dog about fifteen twenty minutes. Still doing my exercises with the skate board. I thought it would be to my advantage living in a wee cottage now but not having stairs appears to be a draw back.

I seem to be ok going upstairs when I come across them but when coming back down it's one step at a time and feel it's the part I appear to be struggling with. Don't know if it's mind over matter and it will eventually come. Should I try and find myself a set of stairs somewhere.

Billy

. I thought it would be to my advantage living in a wee cottage now but not having stairs appears to be a draw back.
Same here! I hardly ever have stairs to do and don’t even know where to find any that would be convenient.

The gentle skate board stretch sounds good.

Going down the steps is always much more difficult than going up them. My OS, after my kneecap removals, told me to go downstairs backwards. I did that for over 20 years! Now, I can do them normally, and you will, too, after you heal.

Forbesy, don't worry about it. I never did any exercises AT ALL and everything came out alright in the end anyway!

See, it's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

@Jockette @Josephine @sistersinhim thanks for the feedback girls was going to go to the hibs game yesterday as my son managed to get a few free tickets but the trouble is the seats are high up so the thought of coming down all they stairs put me off completely. Overall I am doing quite well and will probably retrun to work about mid January. Sort of stopped the icing should I still be doing it.

Sort of stopped the icing should I still be doing it.
Let your knee be your guide on whether or not you need to ice. If you have pain or swelling, then you probably need to ice. If not, then you're probably OK without it.

Only if it benefits you. Like if you have pain and it helps settle it down. Otherwise, it's entirely up to you!

Cheers folks another silly question I'm afraid. I seem to get this numb feeling at the front of my leg above my knee replacement and when I went for my hospital check up the physio looked confused. I don't always get bother from it, it comes and goes.

It comes and goes Celle it's more at the top of my leg off to the left now and happened after my tkr. Silly I only feel the numbness when i touch it. The more I feel it it goes up to my left hip which I had to get replaced it's not sore just numb

Merry Christmas everyone have a fab day :tree2; :santa hug:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom