THR Hipster63 on the other side .....

Hi :hi:
Sounds like you're eating well.
Hubby is doing a good job.
I hope you have a great day and rest of the week!
@Hipster63 :)

Hope today is a better day!

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you've had a good week.
Best wishes for a nice weekend as you continue healing.
@Hipster63

@Layla Thank you. Silverlon bandage is off - siri (??) strips will come off on their own I was told. I can shower without worry of getting the area wet. Still nervous about that - just want to be sure all is ok. Some soreness in the groin area from time to time. I can't do much as it's tough to put my weight on the walker. Still icing some though there's not really any swelling. Just doing it for the soreness. 2 weeks to go before I see the Dr again. Praying things are progressing.

I certainly think so.
One month isn't so long to have a new ball joint and stem implanted.
One month out is Prime Time for post op blues and "is this going right?" conjectures.
Keep the faith @Hipster63
You are doing well.
All temporary recovery mess!:sigh:

Sending healing mojo your way!:friends:

I need some advice. I attached a pic of my incision. Surgery was 9-19. All the "strips" fell off yesterday revealing this. I'm concerned about the obvious red area. It looks open to me.
I sent a message to my Dr's office but have not heard back. I put a bandaid over it but I know that's
of no help. Thoughts?

Attachments

• incision pic.jpg
    incision pic.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 278
I'm not a medical professional, and the forum Nurse, Josephine, is away until Monday but I think it looks okay.
Personally, since those areas do look as though they're not completely closed, I'd keep it covered.
None of the surrounding area looks red and I don't see any pus. I strongly dislike that word, pus :sick:

Only as a FYI, no other reason, following are signs of infection which is good info for anyone with a healing incision to have -

Some common signs of infection are:
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
The incision is hot to the touch
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Hipster63

@Layla
Dr's PA viewed a pic I sent him - just to be safe he wants me to put some steri-strips over the area.
I see the Dr for my 6 week checkup on Halloween. Obviously this incision is a bit of concern and then the
biggie - when can I put weight on the leg.

I agree with Layla...it doesn't look infected and I certainly think it's going to be a very innocuous looking scar when it heals up.
Glad he has you covering it until your appointment next week.

Yay...almost there hopefully for getting to the walking!:yahoo:
You certainly have not been a whiner through what must seem like a long time to wait to get truly mobile.:tada:
Will be thinking of you...please do give an update after your appointment.
Have a great weekend!:roseshwr:

I had my 6 week checkup today. All went well. The Dr's waiting area was packed - I've never seen that many patient's at his office before. I started thinking - he (Dr.) will only see me for a brief few minutes, I have so many questions" We did wait for about 1 hour before I was called. I had x-rays then I met with the PA. I've seen him a few times in the past so we know each other. Anyway, we reviewed my x-rays and he said I was good to go - start putting weight on the leg. So I walked in the exam room with the walker. I put roughly 80% of my weight down. The feeling was odd, almost spongy. I never saw the Dr. The PA said I could but I would have to wait about 1 hour longer. And he doubted the Dr would have any further info to add. I do trust the PA. He answered every question and spent time with me despite how slammed the office was. The plan is to continue using the walker about another 2 weeks then move on to the cane. He wants me to go PT just to address the atrophy in my legs and work on gait issues. I'm happy but I'm icing that hip right now. Some pain creeped up on me after walking out of the Dr's office. Don't want to push it. :)

Glad to hear update...glad you didn't feel rushed through your appointment.
All of this temporary recovery business will be well worth it when you are living your life hip pain free.
Still early days so good for you for being patient and taking things slow.
Hope tomorrow is a good day @Hipster63 :SUNsmile:

I ditched the walker and started using the cane. But OMG - the pain in my knee (same leg as hip) is really slowing me down. And my aching, stiff back as well. Both of these issues popped up a few months into my first recovery. My knee hurt so badly, I had to have an injection. That helped, so maybe it's time for another. My back starts aching after any activity. Tylenol helps but I don't want to rely on that. I'm just a mess :) I have been out of my house twice in the past 8 weeks - both times to the Dr. I want to regain some freedom but shopping would be impossible. I can't walk or stand for more than 20 minutes without the back screaming at me. I do limp using the cane, so that probably contributes to the knee pain. PT starts Dec 11 - we will be working on my gait issues. In the meantime I'm going to go back to my walker. I'm curious to see if that helps my knee.

I'm sorry you're struggling. If you recall both your back and knee bothering you during your first recovery and it resolved, hopefully that's the case again. I'm sure it's frustrating to feel your recovery stalled due to issues aside from your hip. Hopefully working on your gait with the PT will help you lose the assistive devices and another injection will help with your knee pain. I wish you comfort and healing.
I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!
@Hipster63

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a good day and the walker is helping with your knee pain.
Keep in touch, we're here for you.
A great rest of the day to you! :SUNsmile:
@Hipster63

Hope you are doing better friend!:console2:
Hopefully that Walker is taking some of the pressure of that knee.
Still early days, so try not to be discouraged!
Hugs and hoping you have a very easy week!
:angel:

Hi all - not much happening but I thought I should check-in. I'm off the walker, using a cane. I don't always use the cane but if I don't my limp is pretty bad. The oddest thing happened. I somehow sprained my operated hip/ankle ankle. I didn't fall, twist or stumble. The only thing I can think of is I used bands to stretch out my calf muscles, putting the bands behind my foot. Nothing hurt while I was doing it, so I had no clue I might have been doing any damage. Dr prescribed a noninflammatory and a brace. The brace was awful and hurt more than the darn ankle :) I ordered a new brace. The pain is a little better, so there's some hope there. PT starts in 2 weeks. I'll be working hard to correct my gait, if possible. And address the weak hip flexors.

Hey there @Hipster63
Sorry to hear about your ankle injury and annoying brace.
That doesn't sound helpful for recovering from hip surgery at all!:unsure:
Hope the new brace helps and it feels better when you start PT.
Not quite 3 months so do take it slow. Keep the faith!

Would it be considered normal to experience a clunking feeling 10 weeks post op? Yesterday I was determined to get out of my house. I wore the ankle brace and of course used my cane. I spent maybe a total of 1 hour in 2 different stores. I was exhausted when I got home. Last night I felt that clunk, clunk when walking. I remember that feeling from the first surgery. I thought this time around was going to be easier :)

From the library re Noise issues
  • There can be some clunking, popping and clicking noises in the first few months after surgery.
Clunking, popping and clicking noises tend to be caused by a temporary separation of the ball and the socket in the total hip replacement. It can be created as part of the surgical exposure and its accompanying trauma to the local muscles and the encapsulating tissues of the hip. Stretching, cutting, separating and or other types of necessary surgical trauma to the tissues that provide stability to the joint can temporarily create looseness in the articulation. In addition muscle tone may be less than ideal because of the badly trained muscles of the preoperative condition and all the fluid around the newly placed joint. The noises created under this type of conditions generally are painless and can subside once the capsule and muscles around the hip are fully healed. It occurs in the first few months after surgery and typically disappears progressively.
If this condition persists after 6 months or so, will not improve or has become painful it is important to consult your surgeon as it may indicate other conditions that may require his intervention or additional treatment.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom