TKR Roger got a new left knee

Ooh, forgot to mention. Our daughter is having a great time in her new job, is enjoying her new "freedom". Has been on a few dates, but nothing serious. Our son has a summer intern position that could lead to a fulltime position. He only has 3 classes to finish his degree, and he is working just across the freeway from a University that offers what he needs. Daughter in law starts a new job Monday. Seasonal, but good money. All a parent wants is to see their children succeed. Right now, I'm pretty happy and proud.

Oh go on, Rog - tell us what you really think, why don't you?! :heehee:

Glad to hear from you and know you are making some progress. Hopefully you will soon be jumping out of that dunebuggy again like you did once before. Poor wifey! Between the two of you, you've really bucked the trend for bad luck statistics, haven't you? :console2:

:flwrysmile:

Far more than our FAIR share, indeed...

And if I said much more, the language I'd use might not be fit for man nor beast. Politicians are neither...

Bravo you got back on a bike. One day we will ride together. If only so you can learn I'm not a real cyclist. :)

You are no more a cyclist than I am, brother! But its good to beat on a fear and win.

Let me start this installment with good news. My daughter is in contention for a promotion within her group. Yes, after such a short period, and over many that have been there a while. Second, while my son had hired into a company as an intern, they have hired him full time with full benefits and profit sharing. I guess as a proud Dad, I'm thumping my chest a bit...

Wife's knee has healed well, she was back in physical therapy and doing well when, she had a series of falls in a few days. And one of them was serious. She damaged her T1 vertebra and is back in a soft "Miranda" brace. She has some pain and we are waiting to see how it settles before doing much more. SHe still hasn't had the T4 issue resolved, and hope to get somethign soon. Her nutritional issues, well, its a "horse to Water" thing and I can lay it all out, but if she doesn't take it... But thats another topic for another time.

Me. A few weeks ago I was climbing off one of our big trucks, and my right foot slipped off the step. My left foot was still on it and all my weight went through the knee and leg as I flexed well past my own limits. I might have even passed the design limits! BUT!!!!! thanks to all the work I did in PT and since to gain and keep the ROM I have, I walked away without issue. It was sore for a day or two, but not enough even for aspirin. A co-worker saw it happen and thought for sure I was in trouble. And was surprised I walked it off.

I mentioned some months ago my weight is up. I spent time in the gym, and have watched what I eat, but my weight still went up. I saw my doc this week (OK, she is a PA but a darned good one!!!), she agrees that the Lyrica for my shoulder nerve pain could be ther culprit. So, I am back to neurontin/gabbapentin. Not happy, but, I need to do something. I have NEVER been this heavy. And I am now on a BP med too. Yea...

After putting our Mastiff girl down in February, we had all but decided we weren't getting another dog. Well, my sister asked if we were interested in a rescue dog... And we thought, prayed and cried about it... And, decided to take the dog offered. Well, one thing after another became too much to deal with and we didn't get the dog. But the seed was set, and sprouted. We found a dog locally, almost three weeks ago, and we picked up a puppy. SHe is a Bull Mastiff/Boxer mix. She shouldn't be anywhere near as big as our previous girl was (200+ pounds and 34" at the shoulder!!!!), we expect her to be about 80 pounds and 20-22" inches. Guess you could say we downsized. She is sweet and energetic and will nap on me in my recliner. She is learnign pretty quick and will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. Does fairly well on the leash too. Forces me to be active. And she is learning to dial back a bit for my wife. I just hope she doesn't highlight all the reasons we shouldn't have done this. I'll add a pic of the dog soon...

I really don't have much to bring things much more up to date. Life is a mixed bag, and we all do what we can.

thanks for stopping by 1.jpg
zjrog, it's always good to hear from you. Know you are proud of your children and you have every reason to be. They say a lot about you and your wife. So sorry she's still have issues. And glad you managed to come away on both feet with no real damage. Looking forward to the pic of your new dog.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.

I cannot believe I have not looked in here for so long!!! Many apologies to all! THere have just been too many things going in life and I fell out of touch here. And seems, my original threads are now locked. I should have looked in more frequently!

My left knee turmed 8 last month, and is STILL doing fabulous. I have had a couple other injuries that required PT, and saw my normal Therapist, of course. 20 months ago, he measured my knee at 146* for ROM. I use it all, every single day. It was worth every effort I put in at the beginning.

So, a quick catch up for those that remember me. A bit over 2 years ago my RIGHT knee decided it was unhappy. I had it scoped and cleaned to little effect. I was fighting a heel spur on the back of the right ankle at the same time, so that did not help. October of 16, my daughter got married and I forced myself not to limp giving her away. But at great cost in pain to myself. Just before Christmas that year I had the heel spur removed, and the surgeon got a surprise. The spur had been destroying my Achilles tendon, only 25% was left intact. And the bursa was infected. He added an anchor and repaired the tendon and after 6 weeks, I did not need physical therapy. But, a couple weeks later I badly sprained my LEFT ankle.

OK, trying to be less verbose. About that time, I decided my weight was a serious issue, and started a plan to lose. I did lose 40 pounds over the next 6 months, but strings of bad news and deep stress derailed my best efforts. Including my Dad's passing. Once I got my head straightened out, I sought help for my weight loss. This included seeing a bariatric surgeon. I sought Gastric Sleeve surgery...

I attended my nutrition and exercise classes as required, I did a sleep study, which proved I needed CPAP. Followed by seeing a cardiologist for excessive fluid retention. These 2 events scared me the most. I was prescribed to a cardiac rehab gym. And I took it all seriously. I had my Gastric Sleeve surgery 22 Oct 18. I am 6 weeks post op, have done uite well in recovery, followed the program to a T... I am cleared again for the gym, swim, whatever I need to do. And back on a regular diet. With a few exceptions. But, in 6 weeks I have dropped 53 pounds, 75 from my heaviest in May this year. Dropped a few pant sizes and a couple shirt sizes already. Heart rate and BP are down as well. I was not diabetic before, so I have not required sugar monitoring. I feel pretty good with my new relationship with food, and life...

Which, returns me to my right knee. I had considered TKR right after New years. I have decided to put it off. Despite the last round of gel injections being marginally effective, my OS and I decided to try one last round. Waiting on approval. We both hope with significant weight loss, the gel might help this time. And the weight will continue to disappear over the next year or so. Not as drastic as these past weeks. And being less heavy will help recovery later. I am back at the weight I was when I jumped off that ATV. But do not expect me to do such a stunt again. That really wasn't my brightest idea... ;)

Hoping all are well. Sorry I took so long to visit again!

Roger....

Good to see you here!
Merged you thread in the social room to your recovery thread, your thread is now open for posting.

Congratulations on that impressive weight loss! I hope the shots work for you.

@Pumpkln Thank you. Been just a bit hairy the last couple years, but glad to still be moving forward no matter what!

@sistersinhim Thank you, it is an interesting journey no doubt! And I'm hoping for some relief with the gel. I cannot straighten my knee completely which is causing issues in my sacroiliac and nerves down the outside of my leg to my ankle at times. I have ZERO doubt about replacement, but I am outside of any possible window to do it presently.

So very much positive has happened as well. As mentioned, our daughter married 2 years ago, and they are still happy. He is Army Reserve and spent a year on Active Duty for some training, that pays off big outside the military in BioMed repair, Daughter is changing jobs for a healthy pay increase in her new chosen field. Our son and his wife have adopted 3 beautiful children, first were a brother and sister that they fostered, and just last year another boy they fostered after birth. They are all lights in my life I didn't know I needed...

A quick update. After Gastric Sleeve surgery in October, I am down 85 pounds. Down 107 from my heaviest last May!

Ok. Last month I decided to try Eufflexa gel injections again. After the three rounds, I have to admit a slight improvement. And, I had my orthopedic check my left ankle, nothing broken or displaced, so physical therapy is beginning to help that too. But, arthritis means it will always hurt. Ok. I can manage for now.

I'm back on my bicycles. Yes, plural. One stays indoors on the trainer stand. The other, is just plain fun outside again...

My sleep doctor lowered my CPAP pressure, based on my weight loss and good numbers. After a mo th at the lower pressure, he is beginning to think my sleep apnea issues are minimal. But, will wait for my one year mark sleep study to see for certain. I hope I'm done with it. But. If I need it, I need it...

Hello again, Roger.
Good to hear you're still going well.

Congratulations on that huge weight loss! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:

Roger,
Great work with the weight loss, sounds like you are feeling better, and can be more active.
Check out the other joints forum, there are quite a few members with ankle challenges.
:fingersx: you are able to stop using CPAP!

Good to see you. Great news on the weight and CPAP. :happydance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks