Bilateral TKR Vicky's recovery thread <<

1. pain: No pain but some swelling and stiffness is about a 5
"No Pain" but you then declare a pain of 5 out of 10? Then you have pain!
2. Oxycodone 5-325 mg. Half a tablet every 6 hours
At 4 weeks and with a pain score of 5/10, you need more than that! Take the oxy as prescribed which is probably 1-2 tablets ever 6hrs - correct?
3. moderate
Okay
4. 103 left. 96 right. Don't know extension
Flexion isn't bad but you can estimate your extension using this method - please tell me what it is

1. put your leg on a bench, seat, bed, floor or anything similar but preferably something fairly firm.
2. with not too much pressure, press the back of your knee down - use your leg muscles, not your hand!
3. slide your hand, palm down, under the back of your knee
a) if you can get your entire hand under easily, it's probably about +10 degrees
b) if you can get just your fingers under, it's about +5
c) if you can get your fingers under but it's a push, it's +0
d) if you can't get your fingers under at all, it's -5 or more​

Here's a graphic to explain the degrees involved

knee-rom-small-jpg.50489

5. 20 minutes a every hour
6. Yes. At least 20 minutes every hour
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
7. folded clothes, decorated, made tea, unload dishwasher
)OKay

Heel slides 10x, 5x day
Ankle pumps all day long
Quad sets 20x, 5x day
Knee extension/flexion sitting 20x each leg, 2x day
Sitting knee bends 10x each leg, 2x day
Standing knee bend 20x each leg, twice a day
Standing hip bend 10x each leg, twice a day
marching 10x each leg, twice a day
Standing hip abduction 10x each leg, twice a day
Step lunges 10x each leg, twice a day
Heel/toe raises 10x each leg, twice a day
Hip/knee flexion standing 10x each leg, twice a day

at PT
3x/week,
recumbent stepper 10 minutes,
Closed chain 2 Minutes
strengthening hip abduction on side 20 times with 2lb weights
strengthening hip extension prone with 2lb weights 20 times
functional quadriceps sit to stand 20 times
I calculate that you are doing around 460 reps of exercises per day which is far too much!
Notes on particular exercises
Ankle pumps - generally these are only needed in the first few days when one is not very mobile. You are VERY mobile and 4 weeks out so don't need these!
Closed chain, 2lb weights - never ever use any straps, weights or anything of that kind. It's too much and the stress causes pain.​

In fact, I'd have no hesitation in saying that you don't need any exercises (or PT) at all! You're way past all that! So stop the home exercises and quit the PT sessions. You're doing plenty without all that anyway.

If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

@Josephine - I am so confused...my surgeon cut me back to a half tablet every 6 hours. He is also the one who told me to ice 20 minutes every hour

My perception of leg being straight was also thrown off by by my incision being a bit on the side of each leg. And be wary of anyone, this early in your recovery, who tells you something will not change. It could change once you slow down on all that pt. Let your knees tell you when they are up to more pt

I think you mean extension.
Flexion = bending
Extension = straightening.

I am so confused...my surgeon cut me back to a half tablet every 6 hours. He is also the one who told me to ice 20 minutes every hour
Yes, and I'm sorry to confuse you further but he is wrong!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

I think we already did the questions but if you have more, ask away

Ok so I'm 5 weeks out. Pretty much back to normal around the house. I ride my stationary bike several times per day. I go to PT 3 times per week. Should I still be doing other exercises at home? My ROM is at about 110

You are doing great! Most OSs don't look for 90 degrees until 6 weeks and here you are at 110! I wouldn't even do all that you are already doing. Your knee has already gotten ahead of the game. You can settle down and just do your daily activities. They will keep your knee moving and healing gently. Many of us never even took PT or did exercises and ended up with great results! I think you can relax and enjoy that new knee of yours!

I go to PT 3 times per week. Should I still be doing other exercises at home? My ROM is at about 110
I would suggest you don't do any of them any more! I never did any at all - not even so much as a single heel slide!

So at 6 weeks everything was going good. But now my right kneecap is hurting and it is clicking

What have you done differently?

Haven't done anything different. Thought maybe it was from PT when they manipulate (not sure that's the right word)/massage my knee. But they have been doing that at every session. I actually had a small bruise visible on my knee but it went away in a day

I just finished 6 weeks and my kneecap clicks occasionally. It also swelled a good bit if I was doing too much. Once the swelling went down (week 7) it was the first time I could actually see my kneecap without the puffiness. I bet it feels and looks better for you if you lay off some of the exercising.

It could be from the massage. That moves soft tissues around and can lead to soreness.

I think it is common (at least for me) to have ongoing pains in different areas for several months as the internal healing continues. And at this point in recovery it is common when feeling well to overdo it a bit which can then cause additional aches and pains. Sounds like you are doing really well. Knee clicking is common and often a sign that the internal swelling is diminishing (according to my PT). My knee still clicks but it is not painful. Keep up the great recovery!:yay:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back