THR BarbyDoll's Hip Recovery

@BarbyDoll Sorry you missed that step! This kind of "jarring" accident always causes a new hip to complain. By tomorrow you may feel other areas of your body join in. You are doing the right thing. Ice, rest and take meds if you need them. Give yourself a few days for this to ease.

Sorry to hear about your mishap.
Continue icing. Josephine always recommends icing session should not be less than 40-60 mins per session.
Try that several times per day. Hopefully the pain eases soon. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
@BarbyDoll

This kind of "jarring" accident always causes a new hip to complain. By tomorrow you may feel other areas of your body join in. You are doing the right thing. Ice, rest and take meds if you need them. Give yourself a few days for this to ease.

Thanks for the encouragement, Jaycey. My thigh actually felt better when I woke up. I'm noticing more discomfort in the groin, but not sharp pain. I'm just thankful I didn't fall. Three steps forward two steps back, but I'm making progress.

On a lighter note, the other day my phone placed two "hip calls" while it was in my pants pocket. I jokingly told my husband, "Didn't I tell you? The doctor inserted a new hip that has a bluetooth connection." :)

Today marks 14 weeks since my THR. It has been quite a journey. I am so thankful for this group to help me through some of the "bumps" along the way. Two weeks ago I had a "mishap" where I stepped off a curb that I didn't see. I didn't fall, but jarred my leg and it was very painful for a few hours. A couple of days later, I felt things were back to "normal" (well at least my normal). But the really neat thing is that in the past week or so I feel like I have made a definite upswing in my recovery. When I wake up, my leg is not as sore when I initially bear weight on it. Throughout most of the day, I can stand up after sitting for awhile and not have to "stutter step" until the weight bearing feels okay. I am so happy! I know I have more months of healing to go... but I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Especially since my mid thigh pain is mostly non existent after recovering from my mishap. Mid thigh pain has been my main problem since the surgery.

So I've settled into the following routine:
When I get up in the morning, I put on my orthopedic flip flops right away to give my legs more stability. Some days I will use a cane for the first 5-10 minutes until my legs "wake up" and my gait is smooth. I take one Ibuprofen and 1 Tylenol- then head to the gym. At the gym I do 25 minutes on the treadmill (4 km/hour) and some core exercises on a floor mat. By the time I'm done, I've kind of forgotten about my hip, because it is not bothering me at all.

For the rest of the day, I try to alternate between sitting and moving around the house/office. By evening, I am able to stand in the kitchen for an hour and the leg is still feeling pretty good. After dinner, my leg starts hurting more. I usually hold off on medication, though. I really do need to ice it in the evenings, maybe even in the afternoons. But it just isn't part of my routine right now.

Sleeping is going well. The numbness has mostly worn off around my incision. So it's not as comfortable to sleep on that side (it was more comfortable a month ago when it was still numb). But I alternate the two sides through the night (I have never been a back sleeper).

My biggest challenge is going up stairs. Not a huge challenge, but I can feel it in my butt and my leg. It's okay if I have a hand railing to hold onto on the side opposite my operated leg. But I feel the strain if there is no hand rail, or the hand rail is on the other side. In those cases, I sometimes just touch the wall and that helps some. Here in Indonesia, alot of stairs have no hand rails.

I realize I went into this hip surgery with the unrealistic expectation that after 6-8 weeks I would be finished with recovery. That might happen for some, but for me I have learned to be patient with my progress and measure it in weeks instead of days. My surgeon wants me on hip precautions for another 2 months, and that's okay with me because I am so used to them by now that they pretty much come naturally. I'm so glad I had the surgery!

I agree with Surreygirl...very honest succinct update and I'm glad you are getting some restorative sleep!
I realize I went into this hip surgery with the unrealistic expectation that after 6-8 weeks I would be finished with recovery. That might happen for some, but for me I have learned to be patient with my progress and measure it in weeks instead of days.
@wonkyhipoy almost has an identical post regarding expectations versus reality.
Your positive attitude toward recovery will definitely serve you well.
Keep the faith friend...all worth it in the long run.:egypdance:

Thanks for the update. You're doing great!
Try to incorporate icing at the end of the day when your leg is hurting. Maybe 45-60 mins while you're catching a tv program...It is a great pain reliever.
Best wishes as you continue on your healing journey!
@BarbyDoll

Try to incorporate icing at the end of the day when your leg is hurting. Maybe 45-60 mins while you're catching a tv program

So I just sat down in my lazy boy recliner to put my feet up and read some email. Your message reminded me to go and get the ice! Which I just did. You would think it would be something I would do more often, because the ice also feels good in our tropical heat.

Great! Try to get in the habit and see if it brings you relief. Use it as a time to relax.
The amount of time I mentioned (40-60 mins) is what Josephine the nurse recommends. Good luck!
@BarbyDoll

Yep, false expectations I also had. But then again, I always expect things to happen before they should. By all accounts in my head, I should be a millionaire by now... overshot that one by a coulple of decades at least. Oh well, we’ll get there with our recoveries... the millionaire bit... mmm, maybe not... unless you have that winning ticket ... in which case, have no worries, I will happily split it with you!

Hoping all is getting better and better...I know for months out was when I feel like I had my biggest turnaround.
Hope you have been well

@Mojo333 thanks for checking in. I have been well. In fact the last two weeks have been great. I feel like I have definitely turned a corner in my recovery. I'm still trying to follow the hip precautions because my surgeon wants me to for 6 months. Only two more to go! I think ditching the pillow between my legs to sleep on my side at night will be wonderful.

It's strange though. I often forget about my hip because it feels so good. No more thigh pain either. But now I'm having some lower back tightness on both sides of my back. I notice it more when I get up from sitting and if I sleep too long on one side. It could be from my CMT. It's a bit annoying, but not enough to really complain about. I've had some slight groin pains off and on the last couple of days. Again, I think just part of the overall healing process.

I'm making extra effort to get out and walk every day. I'm really wanting to lose some weight, too. I've gained about 7 unwanted pounds since the surgery. I'm not sure how successful I'll be with the holidays coming. My husband and I have a trip planned to Australia in January. I'm looking forward to get out walking, doing touristy things, and I will be off of my hip precautions by then.

Last Saturday and I spent part of the day in the kitchen doing some baking. Before surgery, I couldn't stand for more than 10 minutes before the hip pain would kick in and I would struggle to get a meal put together in half an hour. Now I can stand in the kitchen with no hip pain at all and I'm actually enjoying cooking and baking again. (Something I loved to do before the arthritis.) Life is good.

Hello :wave:Thanks for the nice update!
Sounds like you're doing well. Forgetting about your hip is certainly a sign you're progressing.
Sorry about the back pain. Consider trying a heating pad. Possibly some very gentle stretching for the tightness, without breaking restrictions. Trip to Australia sounds like something exciting to look forward to. We have some members from Australia.

How wonderful you're able to spend lengthier times in the kitchen engaging in something you love for more than 10 minutes.
Wishing you a great week!
@BarbyDoll

@BarbyDoll, love hearing your 16-week update. Great to hear of the easing of that thigh pain ... and loved hearing about how you took it easy (reported in your 14-week update) when you first got out of bed.

I'm still dealing with that thigh pain 8+ weeks after surgery and still using the cane. Last week I did several days of walking a lot without the cane, and boy did I pay for that ... not horribly but ... definitely soreness ... I took things very easy yesterday and today ...

Great to hear that you are cooking and standing without pain. And great to hear your attitude ... Yes, I also thought I'd be further along at 8 weeks ... I see steady improvement, so in one sense it's strange that I'm itching for more ... to permanently ditch the cane. Anyway, your 16-week (4 month) report is really inspiring and helpful!

:happydance:Well done...being patient really pays off and it's so exhilarating to be shed of that awful hip pain.:yes!:
Our new posture and gait can cause other muscles to ache as we readjust...I know this was so, in my case anyway so hope all gets better and better.
:egypdance:

Consider trying a heating pad. Possibly some very gentle stretching for the tightness, without breaking restrictions.

Nice to hear from you Layla. Yes, a heating pad sounds like a good idea. I am trying to do some stretches, but it's hard to stretch out the lower back without breaking restrictions. Walking helps and sitting doesn't help. So I need to make an effort to take some walk breaks when I am at work (sitting at a computer).

Yes, I also thought I'd be further along at 8 weeks ... I see steady improvement, so in one sense it's strange that I'm itching for more ... to permanently ditch the cane. Anyway, your 16-week (4 month) report is really inspiring and helpful!

I'm glad you are seeing steady improvement. You will get there! I still have my cane standing in the corner of my bedroom. I haven't needed it for a couple of weeks now, but if I start limping in the future I'm not afraid to go back to it if needed. Somehow we think that using the cane at so many weeks since surgery is admitting defeat. In reality, it's helping us to get better. Reading some of the information on this site convinced me that I shouldn't be limping or walking in pain if using a cane would help me not to limp or reduce the pain. Hang in there.

Our new posture and gait can cause other muscles to ache as we readjust...I know this was so, in my case anyway so hope all gets better and better.

That certainly makes sense about the muscles readjusting and it's a good reminder. Sometimes I find myself arching my back when I walk and I know that doesn't help. I find I really need to focus on my walking when I'm out walking for exercise. But I am seeing improvements. Today on my walk, I noticed that I'm not feeling as "off balance" as I was 2 months ago. I can now turn my head to look for traffic while I'm walking (without throwing my balance off). The changes are gradual, and then one day you realize that you've come a long way. I know in the early days after surgery I had to keep reminding myself to look at my progress by week instead of by day. I need to remember that now as well.

:wave: Happy Monday!
Yes, some walking would be a great idea! I'll bet you do get stiff sitting in front of a computer.
Hopefully some walking breaks will help ease the aches and break up the work day a little too :yes:
I hope you have a nice week, please stay in touch :SUNsmile:
@BarbyDoll

:tada:You've got this...Month Four really was my biggest turnaround.
I saw more improvement with less residual aches for months longer.
Hope today was a good day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom