THR I've Got a New Attitude (OK, Hip)

What a lovely post. So are you “a twerking gal”! Looking forward to some wineing up as opposed to whinging on my next holiday. Rum and medicinal oil is a good muscle relaxant is it not!
Hope you have a fabulous time to make up for all that work you are doing right now..

@SurreyGirl, twerking isn't even on my radar - I'll leave that to the young people, t'ank yu veddy much!!! :rotfl:

I keep dark rum (okay, I admit it - I have three different kinds of rum including the dark rum) in the house for medicinal purposes, along with bourbon, brandy and/or whiskey for hot toddies. Trouble is, I have NO tolerance for alcohol since the surgeries!!!! :swoon:

So I stick with my essential oil rubs and wait patiently for the day when a Dark 'n Stormy doesn't "hurricane" my system. :loll:

Thanks for the well-wishes!!

I was just thinking of you, @ladylorn! You must have caught the beam :) You seem to be in great spirits.

It got SO COLD here, 27 degrees a couple of mornings ago! Ack! 40s today, but suddenly all the zinnias that had gotten so big, and added such cheery color to the front of this white Colonial house, have bit the dust. Time to plant some bulbs and prepare for winter.

Pix attached of off-the-hook Halloween house in the neighborhood.

Attachments

• ECF65A6D-4458-4976-A66F-E41BF4F95313.jpeg
    ECF65A6D-4458-4976-A66F-E41BF4F95313.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 48B9D97D-D796-49F4-BD51-D6C0CB72F96E.jpeg
    48B9D97D-D796-49F4-BD51-D6C0CB72F96E.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 999354DE-0B2D-4662-BDFF-4B9C0E3E4D49.jpeg
    999354DE-0B2D-4662-BDFF-4B9C0E3E4D49.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 182
@ladylorn Great to follow your thread and ready your posts along your journey. You always put a smile on my face :SUNsmile:

Had my RTHR on Sept 14 and having LTHR on Nov 16. I always following double hippy journeys very helpful...so thank you for posting! Your 2019 travel plans sound exciting :).

Nice to see you are out of the woods with the blues. I have a couple of blah days so far, but not lasting as yet. However, I'm not sure how second surgery will treat me! It remains a mystery at the moment :heehee:

Being an island girl, I'm interested in your rum collection! Do you have have any Black Seal dark rum? The Dark and Stormy trademark originates in Bermuda, so if anyone mentions black rum, I have questions :)! We have tried the "Dark and Stormy" drinks out here in western Canada (terrible as they don't mix with the correct ginger beer!), and were not able to find the correct ginger beer to mix with it for the longest time. Black Seal is sold out here and was easy to find....but it took lots of sampling and research to find the ginger beer mixer (has to be sampled with black rum of course :rotfl:). I'm sure you are getting the right stuff in NYC..lots of Bermuda folk there who will demand the correct mix! I have not had anything to drink post surgery, as I'm such a cheap date, and am awaiting second surgery soon...so felt best to leave it all alone. However, I do look forward to a good Dark and Stormy or a Hendricks gin and tonic once I've recovered from all this hip business!:wink:

Wishing you strength of quads, continued enjoyable :swim:, and a comfortable drive to your Thanksgiving festivities! Onwards!

:flwrysmile:

@EL11, my WORD! They go all out, don't they?? A couple of the "people" were realistic enough at first glance to make me nervous....:scaredycat: :heehee:

Yes, the weather switch was something wasn't it? We had beautiful flowers in my apartment complex that I swear I saw shivering when I left for work yesterday morning. Here's hoping that this was just a tease and the winter won't be as crazy as this last week's weather implies! :prayer:

@Alitm, so glad you got through that first surgery gracefully - I'm believing that the second will go just as well, and you'll be hopping, skipping, and jumping with joy in no time!!! I love your well-wishing at the end of your post - I may have to borrow it.:thumb:

BTW: Of COURSE my dark rum is Black Seal (is there any other kind?); admittedly, I have a light Cruzan and "the usual suspect" - Bacardi - in my arsenal; but my dark rum is a definite favorite! I'd been using Gosling ginger beer, simply because I wasn't in the mindset to make my own (as my father used to); but I'm still on the lookout for a hot enough one for my tastes (as I will drink ginger beer plain, with rum, over ice, summer, winter... well, you get the idea :ok:).

I have to say, I believe I've only ever had cukes with gimlets, @SurreyGirl - should my tolerance ever again allow for imbibing, I'll have to try them with my G&Ts (I'd been intro'd to G&Ts with lime, you see).

BTW... How did we turn this thread into the bartenders' guide to drinking...??? :rotfl:

I'm so glad to see you posted...I've been worried for you.:unsure:
Glad you are seeing progress...I do not like cold weather AT ALL!
Stay warm and safe...hugs @ladylorn :loveshwr:

@ladylorn ! You sound great!
Oh yeah there's always something to grump about... but sounds like you have it in hand. So good.

Cold weather. Not ready for it. I am just under 1 1/2 hours straight east of you. (we should do lunch!)
Hey do you think we will get an indian summer this fall?
Guess its time to get the truck and plow out of the machine shed and make sure its functional for winter.
Since the surgeries I am rethinking life on the farm.

I am with you on the wanting to travel a bit. Try these new hips out traveling. It's TIME!
Great to read your update.

Hi LL,
It's always so great to hear from you. You sound wonderful! Perky, happy, content and hilarious.

I'm with you on the cold and snow. I'm not ever ready either. I don't like it and since I have my new hip worry about slipping on the ice everywhere. I know you understand.
I hope work isn't too hard on you and you make it through the busy times you mentioned, unscathed.
Until next time, big hugs and best wishes!
@ladylorn

@BeBe, while I love country life, I can't imagine living on the farm in the northeast in winter - my inner fortitude just isn't set up that way (maybe when I was young and spry... oh, let's not kid ourselves, I was NEVER particularly spry, except in my mind!!! :rotfl:).

My fear is that the Indian summer of past decades is slowly leaving us - I don't remember having that lovely surprise burst of warm weather last year (certainly not for more than a day or two; as a child, I remember having at least a week!); but we're all tough, grr, arrgh... cold and snow and ice and :yikes: have NOTHING on us.

Right? RIGHT???? :whistle::eyebrows:

@Mojo333, great minds think alike, because cold is NOT my friend! I may have mentioned that my niece and her hubby and son live in GA - her hubby has, on more than one occasion, suggested that I need to move down there near them to get away from the northeast cold. I know there are cold days down there - the first year she moved down, they had a snowstorm! - but, I also know that it's usually not nearly as bad as it can get up here.

I'm considering it; but I have countries to conquer first!!! :catbutterfly:

Last edited:
We are usually in shorts and grilling for Thanksgiving!:SUNsmile:
Southeast Georgia does have its perks.
I'm an air force brat so never stayed anywhere for long...not opposed to moving now but think I would definitely have to keep going south.
Belize was sounding good as I awaited news on my $2 mega millions quick pick.
Alas,:sorry: went to work yesterday!
Two more days in the rat race and then some country for me.
Hope the rest of your week is easy-peasy!

:hi: Hi
Thinking of you...need me a ladylorn fix!
I miss your cheery posts and am wondering how you're doing?
I'll bet the city is all ramped up for the holidays and looks pretty and festive.
I was there once right before Christmas many years ago. Magical!
Do you love it, LL, or are you happy when it's over? Ever see the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular?
It's on my bucket list one day. Can you imagine working our hips like that? I'm envisioning a line of tired ol hippy's trying to hurl their legs up in unison :rotfl: now that would be a sight to behold :heehee:

Leave an update next time you drop by. Would love to hear how all is going in your world.
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a happy, healthy 2019!
Big hugs :loveshwr:
@ladylorn

:wave:
I too hope all is going well, double hippy pal.:tada:

Hi, Everyone!!!:wave:

Sorry it's been so long - I kept trying to get back on but life at the end of the year was incredibly hectic - much more than I'd expected (all work-related). I'm doing wonderfully well, and enjoying having two working hips - it's too cold for long walks in the park (for me - have I mentioned what a winter baby I am NOT? :heehee:); but I'm out and about with ease and great joy (even grocery shopping has become a fun adventure that I greatly enjoy with "dese hips" to work with).

@Layla, I giggled at the image of a line of hippy's hurling legs a la Rockettes :loll:. I saw the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular a few times as a child (it would be a full day trip - the tree, the Rockettes, Central Park to watch - I refused to go out there - the ice skating); but haven't been as an adult. NYC is SO different from what it once was that much of the magic of Christmas is, for me, gone - I would rather spend it in a small town... in France or Italy, maybe. :yes:

My company had our holiday party near the end of December; as the office manager I coordinate it and, this year, arranged for the bar/lounge where we have it to cordon off an area so that we were separate from the other customers - which gave us more dedicated space, and allowed my people to stand and wander from group to group... and I was a wandering soul right along with them (I even had a couple of dancing moments with my date). So many of the employees' spouses (many of whom have known me for the 18 years that I've been with the company) were thrilled to see me with my "Me" back (especially the boss' wife - she's got a doctorate in physical therapy, and teaches body mechanics and ergonomics at a fancy university up here; and was tickled pink at how much I've improved).

Other than the party, I didn't do much for the holidays - I tend to take that last week of the year to be as quiet as possible, and disconnect from electronics/social media in order to regroup/gear up for the coming year. But I did drive up to Danbury to spend New Year's Eve with one of "the sistren" (that amazing cadre of women who took care of me during my recovery periods), and we had a great time... although I realize I must be getting old since, after we toasted in the new year, we sat down for a cutthroat game of Scrabble.:yes!:

Old me would have been dancing all night... ah, well, maybe next year... :snork:

The hips are getting a lot stronger. I keep getting impatient with the June one (one of my friends calls it the "baby hip" :snork:) because it's more achy/stiffer than the March one. My sistren have to keep reminding me that it really hasn't been all that long, especially given how bad off I'd been prior to the surgeries. Which means I have to continue workin' on patience which, I may have mentioned, is not my strong suit. :gaah:

Right now, I'm working on getting some of this weight off. Despite people constantly telling me that I'm smaller (which I tell THEM is simply an illusion caused by my having regained 2" - yep, it's 2 full inches - of height:yahoo:), I know that letting go of some pounds will help dese hips even more. Problem: did you know that some "women of a certain age" have an INCREDIBLY hard time losing weight when the hormones hit? :oyvey:

Add that to my patience predicament, and you have an EXTREMELY frustrated lady!:headbang:

Antyhew, I just wanted to stop in and update folks (and, hopefully, check out a few threads before things get chaotic again); I do hope everyone is doing wonderfully well, and am wishing all a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!:yay:

@ladylorn What a wonderful update! Thanks for checking in. So glad you are seeing the benefits of this amazing surgery. Happy New Year to you as well!

Hello and Happy New Year!
Love your update, LL. So nice to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by.

I'm happy to read you're doing so well and busy after jumping back into life.
I agree that mundane old grocery shopping became enjoyable again without the pain it brought,
always leaning heavily on the cart for support. To shop leisurely without pain feels miraculous.
It really sinks in that you've improved once others begin commenting on it as many of your work colleagues spouse's did. Woohoo! :happydance:

As far as, June, lagging behind March, they're both still toddlers with a ways to go. I'll bet you'll notice a diffence by June's 1st Anniversary. The weight may start falling off too once the weather changes and you're able to get outside more. Just noticed it's March's 10 month anniversary in less than a week, so an early Happy Anniversary!

Wishing you only the best in 2019. Stop by and update when you're able, I always enjoy your posts.
Big hugs to you and best wishes for a lovely weekend!
@ladylorn

I would rather spend it in a small town... in France or Italy, maybe.

How about a little hick town in Southeast Georgia? :heehee: 70 degrees today!:SUNsmile:

So glad you popped in my Jamaican friend!:wink:
Things will keep getting better....

Good mojo coming your way for 2019!:happydance:

Last edited:
Happy new year and good luck with the weight loss. I too am finding this difficult even though I am walking more. Hope your June hip starts behaving. X

:flwrysmile: a flower for you! :ok:
Hope you are hanging in there through this cold snap and doing well hipwise!
Pop in with an update when Possible!:yes:

Hi, Guys! So this is my (almost) one-year anniversary post for my left hip - I can't believe it!!! The work/commute schedule has gotten me into such a rut that one day just slides right into the next without my having realized how much time has past (then again, that could be this "woman of a certain age" brain thing I've had going on lately... :snork:).

Antyhew, to update: I went for my six-month check-in on the younger hip with the OS earlier this year, at which time he also checked the older hip; he said that everything looks "beautiful" and that I should keep doing what I've been doing. The hips themselves are great; the younger (right) one is still a bit problematic (as it's been from pretty much the beginning of this journey, as you may recall), but the OS tells me that what I've been experiencing is normal and that I need to be patient (have I MENTIONED how NOT patient I tend to be? Working on meditating the impatience away:SUNsmile:). Overall, though, I am thrilled with my progress, and loving dese hips o' mine more and more everyday!

I'm still dealing with fatigue - don't know that any of it has to do with the hips, or if it's the menopause... or perhaps just having a commute from H-E-double hockey sticks; whatever, it's frustrating. But I'm still going as much as I can - my big excitement is when I have the time to take a good long walk, even if it's a quickie before or after work:walking:.

The one thing I can say I'm most excited about, is being able to travel again - I'm already plotting trips to Florida, Georgia, and Los Angeles to see my various people; I'm also hoping to get to Brazil, if not this year, then definitely next. Add in some Europe, and you're lookin' at one jetsettin' gal!!! :yay:

I'm so grateful that I found doctors who listened and could help me; I feel as though I have a new lease on life - and my coworkers and friends agree - someone told me the other day that I look as though I'm getting younger and younger the farther out from the surgeries I get (having run across some pictures of myself before the surgery and compared them to a recent pic, I'd have to say he's telling the truth).

This has been a major life lesson for me. I've spent much of my life taking care of others - from younger cousins, to my mother during her illness, to my niece, to my sister, and a plethora of friends; much of it at the expense of myself. This year has taught me to slow down, be still, and put myself first (which is still a struggle - but if I don't take care of me, I realize that I quickly run out of anything for anyone else. Not sure how I went for so long running on fumes).

Antyhew, enough with the drama! I just wanted to grab a moment to check in and say hey. While I'll try to be more "present" (I really do miss getting on and seeing what's doing with everyone), I admit that I may continue to go AWOL... unless I win the lottery and no longer have to schlep into the city 5 days/week to pay bills :loll:. But I will definitely back with a one-year update on "the stubborn one" (as I've taken to calling my right/younger hip).

Wishing all my fellow Hippies the absolute best!!! :hugzz:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks