Surprise! Knee replacement time!

texasjeri

Country
United States United States
I'm 58 years old and live in Texas, as you can tell by my username. My story began 14 years ago, when I tripped over my dog's leash and fell to the pavement. I tore the meniscus in my right knee and had arthroscopic repair, followed by over 2 years of Synvisc injections. At that time I was 44 years old. My doctor said he cleaned out all the trash in my knee, and that I was "bone-on-bone" and would need a replacement at some point in my life. After a period of time, I was able to function, and quit seeing that orthopedic doctor, as I was still years away from being "old enough" to have a replacement surgery (per insurance). Fast forward through 14 years of compression sleeves, icy-hot and biofreeze, limping, and loss of ability to climb or descend stairs normally. In that timeframe, I also lost 60 pounds and was able to walk for exercise, usually 2-3 miles a day.

A couple weeks ago our first cold snap came through and I was suddenly no longer able to get my 8000-10000 steps a day without being in significant pain and needing 2-3 days to recuperate and be able to walk again. I made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon, expecting to get a steroid shot and go on my way. Instead, the xrays showed extreme arthritis and degenerative bone on bone situation. He wouldn't give me a steroid shot and said surgery was the only solution.

SO! I'm having my right knee replaced in 2 weeks, on 10/31. Its being done at a surgical hospital and I think I'll go home the same day.... but I really don't know. My husband has had 2 kneecap surgeries and he did go home same day. We have all the medical devices - ice water circulator, walker, crutches, bath chair, handrails in tub and by the toilet, bedside commode - so I'm prepared in that way. I'm planning to cook and freeze some meals and stock up the groceries so hubby won't be overwhelmed with my care and the household. Fortunately its just the 2 of us, and he's retired, so I'm feeling good about the recovery. I've chosen a Physical Therapy clinic that provides transportation; we've used them before and are happy with their work.

What else do I need to know? I'm off to read everyone's stories. Thanks for being here and sharing your experiences.

Congratulation on your new knee---mine has been helping me to ski 80 days a year since 2009!! I will give you some of the things we recommend to those who are just starting to make plans.

TKR patients sometimes go home but also often stay 1-2 nights to make sure the pain is under control.

Template for knee replacements:

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.

Activity progression for TKRs

Feel free to ask any questions that pop up.

well I got some more info this afternoon. I am going to spend the night in the surgical hospital and be released to home on 11/1. I'm also attending a Joint Replacement class tomorrow afternoon, its highly recommended and is at the surgical hospital. This is happening so fast. I really wish we weren't going on vacation the week before surgery but its been paid for for months and I think we probably need to get away before being bogged down with recovery.

Reading other members' stories will give you a good idea what you're in for. :) Mostly lots of sitting around and healing. You'll get good information about how to prepare for recovery from this part of the forum. If you have a question, ask! You'll get lots of input.

Let your medical team know you're going to be away that week before surgery. Sometimes they come up with last-minute, must-do tests. A phone call ahead of time will give them a chance to inform you of such so you can do them before your trip.

Enjoy your pre-surgery getaway!

Have a wonderful vacation, here is the post op reading to help you prepare.

Here is your copy of the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I think we probably need to get away before being bogged down with recovery.
Take it while you can. I was on a wait list here an said not ready till after May.
I was booked for a trip to TEXAS......first time to states and got to admit USA was not on my bucket list.

But had walked 800km Camino in Spain 2016 an one of our new 'family' was a chap from San Antonio. Said i coming to help him celebrate his 75th in 2018.

I absolutely LOVED Texas, people so friendly and polite....I felt like a rock star with attention.

Needless to say it is now on the list to go back :spin:

oh my gosh, @Kiwigirl62 how awesome to walk the Camino! that's amazing. I've read other people's stories about doing that, and the Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail in the US. I'd love to do something like that. :)

I got my house cleaned, closet cleaned out, laundry done up, tossed a lot of worn out, stained, too big clothing yesterday - half my wardrobe. But I feel very prepared now. Next Monday morning is pre-op appointment, then I have a couple other appointments that I got moved up to that day (originally scheduled early November) so I feel quite accomplished. I'm going to cook and freeze a couple meals that day too. Can't believe its so close to happening!

@JodiA145 and @kafkaesk - here's my packing list for hospital, just supposed to stay over night, dismiss around 36 hours post -op.

cpap machine, meds from home, brush and hair-ties, toiletries (toothbrush, flosser, and paste mostly, no makeup), pajamas, undies, loose clothing (wearing it there, and wearing it home), slippers/flip flops, phone and charger, a couple protein bars, a couple teabags of "smooth move" tea, BG meter, contact lenses and solution (even though I'll probably wear my glasses), a sock knitting project, a paperback book.

I am a T2 diabetic, no insulin, well controlled on daily medication and I eat low carb so I'm DREADING the diabetic diet (I don't eat starches, low fat, artificial foods), and I'm asking for plain saline (no glucose/dextrose) drip IV. If worst comes to worst, I can exist a few days with elevated blood sugars but I'm aiming to NOT have that issue. Anyone have any ideas for that?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I was in the hospital from admission time 5:30am until 4:00 next day. Worn same clothes to and home. Hospital food, i specifically told them what I wanted. To be honest hospitalization is such a rushed experience, never offered teeth brushing,face washing or hand washing. I was so glad to get to my comfort of home. Took a shower the morning after I came home, and was able to do all my personal care with assistance.
Good luck to you! I know you will do well!

I’m a fellow type 2 diabetic. You won’t need your BG meter. I mean, you can pack it if you want, but the hospital will be monitoring your blood sugar. Trust me. I went to a rehab hospital after my surgery and they kept drawing blood hoping to give me insulin — they had it ready, and let me know that. I’ve never had to use insulin. Like you, excellent control using diet and exercise. Anyway, they finally gave up that battle but won the diet war: the food on the diabetic diet was dreadful!

Point is, high blood sugars are a medical problem, so they will be monitoring you to make sure yours stay in a good range.

Also, because you’ll only be in the hospital a couple to few days, you could just leave the contact lenses at home. Glasses are easier, especially when you’ll spend lots of time napping. :)

Just got the call, be there at 7:30 am tomorrow all prepped up and ready - I guess I passed all the pre-op tests! Procedure is scheduled for 8:30 to 9:00 starting time. See y'all on the other side. Don't expect to sleep well tonight....

Thinking about you today!
Gecko wore a Halloween costume to the hospital LOL. See you on the recovery side!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom