THR Hipster63 on the other side .....

Thanks. I know this a one day at a time process. After struggling for 18 mos to regain my life back - this setback after revision was unexpected. If I didn't have the no-weight bearing restriction (thus using the walker) I'd be a much happier camper! So 6 weeks of no-weight and I assume (and pray) I progress to partial weight after that. My life consists of bed, recliner and the bathroom.

So 6 weeks of no-weight and I assume (and pray) I progress to partial weight after that.
They will probably do an x-ray to make sure all is well and then life your restrictions. I know it's tough when you are NWB - hang in there!

Hope you are doing well.
Don't get the blues...we are here for any whining, complaining, whining, or bemoaning.

My recovery thread reveals a blubbering, typo error filled mess of questions, worries, and mindless mutterings!

Wishing you a restful night!:ok:

What is partial weight bearing? I understand the toe touch weight bearing but partial seems like that is an accident waiting to happen. I can just see myself questioning "was that partial" :)

Partial weight bearing...A pre-determined amount of weight may be supported by the affected leg. The weight may be gradually increased. The weight is checked with a scale so you can get a feel for different levels of weight, basically how much pressure you'll be applying. I don't think you'll find it as difficult as you may be imagining.

Hang in there, you'll get there. We'll be here to support you whenever you need it. Stay in touch.
Hope your week is peaceful. :)
@Hipster63

@Layla - thank you. The no-weight bearing makes getting around almost impossible. I have a large home and just getting from one end to the other is like a marathon to me. My shoulders and wrists are not liking this, haha. It's just easier to stay in bed or in a large chair in the living area. It's also tough to stand to do anything. I know this too shall end. That 'ol saying of time flies certainly doesn't apply to me right now :)

I can't even imagine, I'm sorry. :console2:
It must be exhausting and feel like an exercise in futility trying to accomplish anything.
Thankfully it will end. Prayers for your patience.
@Hipster63

:console2:This is the tough part, I'm sorry it is so uncomfortable for you right now.
All Temporary.
Sympathy hugs and Good Mojo coming your way!

I saw the PA today for a 2 week checkup. New xrays - all looked good they said. I saw the 5 screws that are holding me together. Ouch! The PA said my bone condition was not good. I forgot to ask if that was a result of the too large ball damage or osteoporosis. Or arthritis. I'll ask the next time. Those dreaded TED hose are history, yay!! I accidentally put my full weight on the hip getting dressed this morning. That was an odd feeling. My leg felt very weak and I had some pain. Makes me wonder what is going to happen when I'm allowed to put weight on it. I continue to be impressed by my surgeon and his team. A striking difference between this surgery and the emergency surgery I had are days and night apart. The dressing on my incision has a silver pad that is placed against the site. This helps prevent infection and aids healing (I think). My incision after the emergency surgery was stapled together (this one is glued) and covered by gauze. Seems rather old school compared to what I'm experiencing now. 4 more weeks of no weight bearing, then new xrays and another decision regarding the weight bearing.

Glad you have some reassurance...
Rest well tonight @Hipster63
:ok:

I have a question. I spend most of my time propped up in bed with my leg elevated, but not very high. Probably not as high as BS would like. Doing so just isn't as comfy as you'd think. The rest of time I'm in a recliner, legs are mostly straight out in front of me with my feet not exactly supported. So when I get up and start moving, my operated lower leg and foot turn reddish/purple and tingle. Is something off here? Is this just blood rushing down? If so then why isn't it doing that on my other foot/leg? I move my foot often - ankle pumps. I take the baby asprin daily. The TED hose were discarded after my 2 week checkup with Dr. I ice 3-4 times a day. Any ideas?

@InkedMarie - honestly I don't know why I'm not. I have a hard time finding a position that accommodates my aching back. I have to load up support for my back then try to elevate my leg. Almost too much. I don't have much swelling at all, just around the incision area. Even when I elevate in bed after some time has passed - say 1 hr, I have to just put my leg down on the bed. I'm a lot more comfortable in the bed but it's getting old. I'm 19 days past surgery, no-weight bearing at all! It's very hard to just get around my house, so I don't. But I know that's not healthy either!!

I didn't really elevate to much in the recliner either...honestly.
Just put my feet up.
Everything does get sore!:sigh:
I would waggle my feet around and move my legs constantly.
2 more weeks?
I'm sorry you have to go through this.
Sending hugs:console2:

@Mojo333 - yes I do ankle pumps a lot! I tighten my glutes and quads throughout the day. Hoping to keep what little muscle tone I got back after losing sooooo much the year following the first awful surgery. I'm 5'7" and 119 and there's not a lot of muscle :)

Skinny Minnie.
Then good news...chocolate and ice cream for the blues...steak and cheese for the protein..or some yummy salmon?
:friends:

@Mojo333 Oh yes ! Dr ordered me to eat 80 grams of protein a day! That's hard to meet. Steak, eggs, cottage cheese. And to increase my calcium intake. It's exhausting, I'm tired of eating and hubby is sick of cooking :) And I love ice cream!! But hate those nasty tasting protein drinks!

Hi! See if any of these protein options appeal to you -

Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

Hope you have a peaceful evening and a great week!
@Hipster63

Yes, I like many of those. Biggest problem is hubby prepping it. But yes, I have cheese sticks and many cheeses in the house, Turkey, chicken ..... I had a small piece of filet, broccoli and potato (with cheese) for lunch. Pasta with meat sauce, more broccoli for dinner. About to have ice cream. Stuffed.. Many mornings I have eggs. I do work at trying to get that protein in.

I really can't get into those protein drinks either.
Nothing really tasted very good anyway.
I did omelets...and nibbled on cold grapes as they were easy to keep near.
Hope your day is a good good day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks