Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

I had a one year appointment with a new OS in my new city, and I really liked him. They took X-rays of both knees and then he went over them with me. He also examined the knees manually.

Would you believe there is a left behind staple in my left knee? When they took the staples out last year, they had missed one, which showed up a few days later after the steri strips came off. The home health care nurse took it out. Well, apparently there was a second staple lurking there. The OS could not feel it by touch and pushing around on the knee cap. He thought we should just leave it be, it will not likely cause any problems. It just leaves me wondering about the after care at my original surgeon's office, because how could they miss two staples?

Anyway, the new OS commented that the patellas were both a little off center, which he said doesn't happen a lot, but is not a big issue. He also thought the implant on the left knee was a bit bigger than it should be. Interestingly the left knee has been great these last months, the right one still hurts going up stairs. But he said the right knee implant is a perfect fit.

He said since the implants look good in both knees, he surmises that the discomfort that I feel going upstairs in the right knee could be scar tissue. He asked me if the pain was as bad as it was prior to surgery, and I replied not even close. It really doesn't interfere with my getting around, I just notice it going upstairs for the most part, and sometimes towards the end of my walk. And I wouldn't even call it pain, more like discomfort. In that case, he said, he is there if I need him, if more of a problem develops, and otherwise he wants me back for another X-ray in a year to check on things. After that, if all is well, back in five years.

I want to ask your opinion, you bonesmarties, do you think I should let my original surgeon who performed the surgery know about the staple? I'm not even sure the information would even get to the doctor, if I sent a message to the patient portal. I just feel like that whole staple removal was so sloppy. It happened the day I was in for a follow up look at the incision, because I had been treated for cellulitis. The gal who removed the staples was in training. Later, after a few days, when the steri strips were off, my daughter in law noticed the staple in my knee when I was sitting across from her in the living room. It was kind of twinkling in the sunlight was how she saw it. The home health care nurse removed it quickly and easily the next day. So it wasn't a big deal. At the time, although it was very stressful for me, what with the infection and the drugs and like that.

I want to say I should just let it go, and focus on the miracle of the knee replacement and all the life that has opened to me as a result. Also, would they even want to know? The young woman who did the removal is long gone, as her training year was up the next week, if I remember correctly. And my doctor has probably performed lots and lots of surgeries since last year, and won't even remember who I am, I am sure, if he even gets the message.

What do you think? And what do you think about the new doctor's supposition that the discomfort in my right knee on the stairs is possibly from scar tissue? It's in a specific are of the knee, on the inside, right at the joint.

Anyway, happy to get a year under my belt. My ROM, stability, walking, all of it is excellent. He said I did a good job - haha because we know I did very little PT. The end.

About informing your original surgeon about the staple, If the person who took them out isn’t there anymore, there isn’t anything for him to do with the information. Hopefully that person is more experienced by now!

Interesting about the scar tissue comment. Was he hoping you’d agree to a surgery to clean it out? That’s my first thought. I am very leary of scar tissue conversations since finding Bonesmart.

You know you are doing great and that it could still be a while to feel even better.

Since I am not happy with my original surgeon, nor my second opinion surgeon, I’m done with checkups. My knee always looks fine, and we all know it isn’t, so I don’t feel there’s any point to any more checkups. Since they don’t believe me I will just wait until something happens with my knee and then they will have to acknowledge a problem. :groan:

Enjoy your new “do” and your lovely granddaughters and your tutoring. You have a nice life and we’re always glad to hear from you! Continued best wishes!!

Last edited:
Interesting about the scar tissue comment. Was he hoping you’d agree to a surgery to clean it out? That’s my first thought. I am very leary of scar tissue conversations since finding Bonesmart.

@Jockette I did not get the impression he was suggesting surgery. I felt like he was determining if the discomfort was enough to warrant further treatment if, in fact, it was scar tissue. Once I told him I was navigating my life without any real problems from the discomfort, that is when he said, well, I'm here if you need me, otherwise come back in a year.

I am so very sorry that you are so disheartened. What a terrible, terrible disappointment this all is for you. I have to tell you though that you are a lesson in making lemonade out of lemons, dear girl, because you just keep putting your best foot forward and use so much of your empathy and understanding to help others on this site. It is a wonderful thing and a lesson for us all.

And I intend to do exactly what you suggest - enjoy all the blessings in my life. I am having dinner with those blessings tonight, and I am going to hear all about their week-end at a music festival at Yosemite with their California friends, and their overnight in San Francisco on the way back. They took the girls out of school for the trip, and I am thinking it was fabulous. Sending a hug to you.

It's so good to hear how good you are doing! Enjoy those new knees and let the past stay there. When I had my 2nd kneecap removed, my patella tendon was cut and then wired together. That wire is still in there. It's giving me no problem at all and is clearly visible on my xrays. I bet that staple will not be a problem at all and not worth the hassle.

@mlwreader, congratulations on your anniversary! As some Southerners would say, "ain't life grand"? If we were to look back day-by-day, I don't think any of us would have ever thought we'd get to this point. You have had such a year and added in a move, too. I am so happy for all the good things life has brought you. Interesting about that staple but I'm glad it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Kind of makes me think it might not be that unusual. Your new haircut and glasses are most becoming. I had to go back and check your age because you look so much younger! Meanwhile let's both forget kneeling unless we have no choice. It hurts me, too. Are you going to climb Yosemite next?

@MSgirl Great to hear from you. How are you doing? I hope all is going well with your recovery.

Thank you for the kind words about the hair and glasses. As for kneeling, I am not about to do that unprotected on the floor again. I've learned my lesson! I did walk two miles today, which is progress for me, although the last couple of blocks were a stretch. I've been going to weight watchers the past three weeks, watching and tracking my food, and keeping track of my movements. It keeps me motivated to walk.

Take good care and let us know how things are with you. :)

Would admin please change the title of my thread to "second year progress"? Thanks so much.

Hi bonesmarties: I just had a zinger in my right knee while doing dishes and I thought of all of you guys. First zinger I've had in months, but I'm glad it made me think of you.

I am doing great! I am able to walk 2 miles now without exhaustion setting in, although I do slow down my pace towards the end. My right knee is doing much better, but it still needs a little help going up stairs. My lefty is fabulous, however, if I do say. I found myself crawling around on the floor again last week to try to get my internet connection figured out AGAIN (thank you Comcast), and I still cannot do that comfortably, but must have a pillow to kneel on.

I am determined to lose the 20 pounds I put on over the past couple of years, and have been going to weight watchers the past three months. I have lost 11 of those 20 so far, and am finding the program really easy to work with.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm going to end this and go check out how everyone is doing. To any newer folks I will just say, hang in there, it does get. . . . different, and mostly better. Much love to all, could not have gotten through that first year without this forum.

It’s always great to hear from you, I’m glad things continue to get better and better! :console2:

Thanks for checking in, glad you are doing well. Your thread title has been changed for you, all the best as you during year two.

@mlwreader, reading your thread about the OS mentioning scar tissue. When I had my revision done on Oct 3, the next day his PA making rounds discussed what the OS did during the surgery. He said the OS removed scar tissue. I didn't even know I had any scar tissue! Maybe that is the reason my revision feels so different...I have no more numbness around the outside of my knee. Just a thought.

Thank you @Pumpkln.

@Cementless - Interesting about your scar tissue. If I have it, its not causing enough problem to warrant any further work on my knee, thank goodness, and so I will not pursue a solution until the situation with the right knee gets to be a problem. I notice that I only need to help myself up stairs after I've been active, for example at the end of my walk. If I use the stairs coming in my apartment building after riding in the car, my right knee feels pretty good. I suspect I will still see some improvement over the next months. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Congrats on the knee recovery and the loss of 11 pounds! I know how hard that is.

@mlwreader good to hear from you. I find that I spend less and less time on board as the time goes by. It is a tiny bit easier to loose weight when we can actually move. And your stair climbing has really come along !!
Been in UK a bit over a week now and what a difference from last year. Walking for miles a day. My bronchitis hit again but was able to connect with Dr to get some antibiotics and it’s getting better. But my knees don’t hurt! Muscles get a bit sore and still have to walk downstairs slower but no pain. It’s just incredible.
I’m in York right now. I got here yesterday and walked the wall. So beautiful and wonderful just to be able to do it. Off to see the Minster and do more exploring.

@SherrieT Great to hear from you! I agree as time goes by I spend much less time on the board, which is mostly what is to be expected. We heal, we get back into life.

Wonderful trip you are on. So happy for you.

Some rambling thoughts on recovery from this grateful and mostly contented post bi-lateral TKR person:

I am thinking more and more that knee replacement, while miraculous, does not restore a person to youth or give a non-athletic person incredible athletic ability - lol. :rotfl: What I'm getting at is that the knee replacement surgery will give a person functioning knees (assuming all goes well) with no knee pain, and gradually diminishing muscle and tendon pain as the healing progresses. But it doesn't do so quickly, and it doesn't erase every single twinge and discomfort from a person's body. Age has a lot to do with what to expect as well, I have decided.

So now when I hear things like knee replacement will make your knees better than new, I just roll my eyes. It really is a compared to what, at least for me. Compared to the pain I was in during the six months leading up to the surgery, and compared to the gradual shrinking of my world in the two years leading up to the surgery, yes my knees are better than that. Way better. Miles better. Not on the same radar screen better. But I have some minor limitations, and can feel them, especially when I move my legs and knees in a direction that the implants don't want to go.

Bottom line is I'll take it! However, doctors and staff do a disservice to knee patients by giving us such impossibly high expectations. The biggest one being that recovery will happen quickly. As we have all experienced, this is not a quick recovery. It is long distance, not a sprint, and can take the form of two steps forward and one step backwards.

I do not regret having had this surgery, and would not ever want to live out my life the way things were before I had it done. The surgery has changed my life, for the better. I am so glad I made the decision to do both knees at once, and didn't give up when the first doctor told me he wouldn't do a bilateral surgery.

My poor right knee, thinking about the different recovery from the right and the left, it had no cartilage left, the leg was horribly bowed, and the deterioration had been going on for years. If it wants to give me a little grief going up stairs, well I'll forgive it that.

Those are some thoughts this November morning. I hope we all have a great day. :)

@SherrieT Great to hear from you! I agree as time goes by I spend much less time on the board, which is mostly what is to be expected. We heal, we get back into life.

Wonderful trip you are on. So happy for you.

Some rambling thoughts on recovery from this grateful and mostly contented post bi-lateral TKR person:

I am thinking more and more that knee replacement, while miraculous, does not restore a person to youth or give a non-athletic person incredible athletic ability - lol. :rotfl: What I'm getting at is that the knee replacement surgery will give a person functioning knees (assuming all goes well) with no knee pain, and gradually diminishing muscle and tendon pain as the healing progresses. But it doesn't do so quickly, and it doesn't erase every single twinge and discomfort from a person's body. Age has a lot to do with what to expect as well, I have decided.

YES YES YES. I have always been a slow walker. Even when younger. Can I walk faster then pre-op? Yes and with no pain. But fast is not my natural pace. I can skidaddle and catch up, just like I always had to do when younger, but I’m not suddenly something that I wasn’t before the arthritis hit. Plus I’m getter better, not worse

Hello bonesmart peeps:

I am just about at the 18 month mark and want to check in and report my status. I feel like I am doing great! I would not say my knees are back to pre-arthritis condition, but they certainly work very well, and I hardly ever think about them. I do not regret having both of them done at once, and really don't regret anything about it at all. I hope to never have to go through that kind of recovery again however. It really is a long haul.

In my opinion, if it hadn't been for bonesmart and all the kindness from members on the forum, I would have been so much worse off.

My lefty is awesome, although she still doesn't care for kneeling, except maybe on the bed if I have to do that to tuck in the sheet or something like that. And she makes her presence known if I move at certain angles. Righty is a little more sensitive and still does not like going up stairs. That has not improved one little bit. I can certainly go up stairs, but I have to help myself up with the handrail because of righty. And I still have some numbness/tightness on both knees, which I hardly ever notice any more. The feeling is there, if I think about it I notice it, but most of the time I completely ignore it.

I am having lingering intestinal issues which I believe were set up by all the meds from the surgery, the antibiotics for the infections, then the acid reducers from the GERD that developed, and on and on. I have had all the tests done, everything is ok except a slightly inflamed colitis situation. I wouldn't even share about it in this thread except that I feel like the root of the intestinal problem can be traced back to all the medications pre and post surgery. I have a good team of doctors here in Denver and I feel encouraged that they are on it and things are resolving. I have a dental appointment this month, and I am dreading taking the antibiotics and how that might affect my gut. I know some of you guys don't take the antibiotics for dental cleanings, but my doctor recommends it, so I'm going to do what he says. Fingers crossed I don't regress, intestinally speaking - haha.

I have been in my new city for a solid year now, and I am really feeling like it is home here. I just got finished with a very busy tutoring season, with 30 students in my roster, and am now on a break for a couple of months. I was not active physically while tutoring, but am getting back in the groove.

I'm going to end this now and go check out other threads to see what's new with old timers and what the new members have to say. xoxo

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie